Mainship 430 or Bayliner 4788

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which boat would you advise I buy?

• Advise you buy the Bayliner

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Advise you buy the Mainship

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Will post a better boat to buy (need 4ft or less draft)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Smitty,

So what kind of fuel burn did you have at this speed? Dont believe the Mainship will do 17 knots.

Talked to a guy with the Bayliner that implied that his high speed cruise in the 17 knot range burned over 50 gph, any truth to that?

"So what kind of fuel burn did you have at this speed? Dont believe the Mainship will do 17 knots."
We usually got about 0.92-0.95 nmpg when towing at speeds from 16-18 knots. We usually got a few tenths more than that 0.95-0.98 nmpg when not towing --- these are averages from mutiple seasons of use at about 1,000- 1,200 miles per season. I have also heard from many owners of these 47's over the years that they get between 0.80 to 0.95 at various speeds from 15 to 17 knots.
Here are some other averages that have been 'rounded' quite a bit just so its easier to remember them....
3-4 nmpg at 6 knots
2 nmpg at 8 knots
1 nmpg at 10 knots

"Talked to a guy with the Bayliner that implied that his high speed cruise in the 17 knot range burned over 50 gph, any truth to that?"
Very inteteresting is it not? I have only owned the 45's and 47's with Hino engines which on the last 47 were 310 metric hp - the most I could get them to burn with the stock injection pumps and injectors would be under 34 gph.
I am no expert on the Cummins but even the max HP 6b's that they put in these boats (rated at 370 hp) I do not think can burn much over 42 gph max at full WOT.
So how can he get 50 gph at 17 knots?

I know ZIP about Mainship but many years ago I chartered a 4588 for a week and about 6 years ago I helped a guy take a 5788 from Seattle to Stockton, CA. I was very happy with both boats in terms of their layout, wide open spaces, handling and overall being "boater friendly".

I did notice the 5788 seemed to roll a lot more than my Sea Ray even though it was 2' longer, 1.5' wider and was about 8,000 pounds lighter. I felt like I was riding on a cork when we hit rough water. I believe that is due to the rounded chine on the Bayliner. My Sea Ray has a hard chine so that reduces the roll.

Here's a video of the Bayliner in about a 5' chop out in the Pacific.
https://youtu.be/uKgc8DBUi8M

Here's a video of my Sea Ray in a chop of about 4' and winds about 30mph on my stbd beam.
https://youtu.be/1Ad9RzxtNbQ

and here's one of my boat in a 5'-6' chop with a wind straight on the bow.
https://youtu.be/2Dd5Yi5mNKo

Look at how much more the Bayliner rolls.

Last edited:
"don't know where they came up with that 30K lbs number"
That would be for a completely base boat and dry - gas engines, no genset, no AC units, no washer/dryer, no flybridge canvas or entertianment center, etc.
Similar to the weights on the fully basic Bayliner 4588 and the real weights for the vast maojorty of them out there.

Ahhh Thanks!

Smitty,

So what kind of fuel burn did you have at this speed? Dont believe the Mainship will do 17 knots.

Talked to a guy with the Bayliner that implied that his high speed cruise in the 17 knot range burned over 50 gph, any truth to that?

Up on plane I burn about 12 gallons per hour per engine or thereabouts.

If I remember that's in sync with the published data on the 330 Cummins engines.

We have a Meridian 490 (same hull as 4788) with Cummins QSB 380s, at 17 knot cruise we burn 12.5 gal/hr per engine (total ~25 ga/hr).

We typically cruise at 8.5 knots burning around 2.5 ga/hr per engine (we love the efficiency at hull speed of the Bayliner/Meridian).

It comes down to "are you rather be right or happy". My advice is to buy the boat that your GF prefers. You will never be sorry.

BL

we bought a 4588, very nearly identical to the 4788. to your points, here are a few observations:

Side decks: I like the idea but haven't missed the full walkaround. The passage from aft cockpit to fore deck via pilot house door is quick and easy. Not having them makes salon spacious.

Up Galley: we like the open plan for socializing (someday again).

Pilot house with setee: love it for socializing underway.

Large upper deck with davit: we keep dinghy on swim platform and use upper space for lounge chairs and bicycle storage aft, have a bimini for shade over the built-in settees at forward end.

Engine acess: tight, but it works. Had zero issues with the WEsterbeke, and if its in a box like ours, its quiet.

Love the "office" off the master. ONe of the best layouts for boat size I've seen. While BL isn't a Bentley, the build quality and finishings are quite good.

Our waters are inland (Salish Sea) and it rides great; but, I hear at sea they may toss a bit.

I always thought the MS 430 was faster than 17 knots. I thought it was built with more of a planing hull and bigger engines to run more at sea ray type speeds. Did I imagine that?

I own a 43 Mainship 2006 and love it. I have been on a few Bayliners and I would pick a Mainship any day.

I always thought the MS 430 was faster than 17 knots. I thought it was built with more of a planing hull and bigger engines to run more at sea ray type speeds. Did I imagine that?

That was always my impression as well.

After all the comments and info gathered from others and looking at the two boats, I'm leaning toward the Mainship for a few reasons.

First, it's the choice of the GF. (and I'm sure the wife will like it, too)
Second, I feel it's made better.
Third, it has the bullet proof Yanmar engines, the exact same one I currently have.

Fourth, engine access is a fair amount better, and I just don't squeeze into tight spaces anymore.

I'm still concerned about the lack of a cockpit, but the seating area over the aft stateroom could be covered with a Bimini top and accomplish the same time the cockpit would.

I've also seriously though about just keeping the Mainship 400, pretty bulletproof and simple.

But... on to shopping for now.

On the cockpit thing, I could have sworn the Mainship 430 aft cabin still has a small cockpit behind the trunk cabin?

Comparing two vessels without a really good mechanical and systems inspection is like the old Chevy vs Ford debates. Lift the hood! What is the mileage? How are the tires? Did the PO grease the wheel bearings and replace the drum brakes?

But in this case, one is a bigger boat too. So the choice is not quite comparable. That counts for something all other things equal. Kinda like would you rather have a Mainship 34 or 40?

On the cockpit thing, I could have sworn the Mainship 430 aft cabin still has a small cockpit behind the trunk cabin?

Yes, it does, with a lazerette underneath. But it's less then 3 feet long, so not enough to put a chair in. We sit on the aft cabin deck and have a large Taylor Made umbrella for shade.

Comparing two vessels without a really good mechanical and systems inspection is like the old Chevy vs Ford debates. Lift the hood! What is the mileage? How are the tires? Did the PO grease the wheel bearings and replace the drum brakes?

But in this case, one is a bigger boat too. So the choice is not quite comparable. That counts for something all other things equal. Kinda like would you rather have a Mainship 34 or 40?

Sunchaser,
I think we can agree, if we're comparing the two, that we adjust for condition, maintenance and electronics to put them on an even playing field.

They are quite similar in price, however. And they both have what I need in draft. But, yes, there are major differences.

Update on the purchase.

Decided on the Mainship 430 for the reasons posted above.

Had one that I'm surveying Monday and just wonderful sellers to deal with.

Hope it will be mine.... and the GFs.

That's great Seevee. You have my number. Give me a call anytime if you have questions.

That's great Seevee. You have my number. Give me a call anytime if you have questions.

Thanks much..

Have a few questions:
How does one feed wire/cables from the flybridge to the lower helm and down to the engine room?
And how does one feed the radar (and other stuff on the pole) to the upper helm?
And, lastely: What are good solutions for putting some shade over the aft stateroom topside? Bimini, umbrella, etc? Possibly extending to provide shade and rain protection from the entrance to the salon. Will probably post that as a thread later and catch some of the FL folks where it got HOT in the summer.

Thanks MUCH!

Call me. I can answer all those.

Updating this thread....

Well, I bought the 430 Mainship, GF loves it which is a BIG plus. Had the chance to get a 4788 local at a really good price, but needed too much work.

I got a 2003 boat, is really good condition. Will need a few things that I want, like updated radar, remote for AP, lower electronics (really none there) and a few other small things. Overall, very happy with it.

I could have made a strong argument to just keep the Mainship 400 because it has a great cockpit and flybridge above the cockpit... will miss those features. And it's been bulletproof.

I'm in the "relearning" stage, but shouldn't be hard. Engines and generator are the same as the old one and systems are very similar. Electrical can be an issue and right now having trouble charging the house batteries, but a doable project. And, I'll have to learn how to single handle it which shouldn't be hard... pretty similar to the 400.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom