Mainship 34 trawler fuel return

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimtrawler

Vessel Name
Vitamin Sea
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 trawler
Hi folks,
I just purchased a 2005 Mainship 34 T with a single Yanmar 370 engine. The ride home was rough and a lot of junk got sloshed around in the fuel tank. I am going to install a fuel polishing system but I need some help. Where is the fuel return? I have found two lines coming out of the tank adjacent to each other and I assumed that one was for the generator and the other for the engine.

You should have two 125 gallon tanks. Each tank has a return. On my 34 pilot, where the return line leave the motor(starboard side) it has a selector valve for port or starboard tank return. My return lines are near the vent line in both tanks.

Rich

If you have a racor with a sight glass it does a good job of cleaning your fuel.Check it a lot and keep many filters handy.

The OP has a 34T, not a Pilot 34. The 34T has a single fuel tank forward of the engine.

Unfortunately I can’t remember where the fuel return is. I sold my 34T a number of years ago.

David

Not aboard but have had to do some DIY filtering/water separating in the past.
The return is in the same area as the supply line. I just followed the hoses to confirm.
I hooked up a 12V pump and water separating filter first using the supply & return. I thought they were relatively close and wanted to return at another location.
I was able to run the filtered return up to the access plate on stbd walk-around near the fuel fill and fabricated a 1/2" copper "U" shaped fitting w 2 90° ells and a few short pcs of pipe that allowed essentially hanging the return hose at the gunnel fuel fill so return was via the fill hose. That gave me a little more separation.
My fuel tank had plugged fittings for twin engine use and I considered trying to insert valves for off- line fuel polishing but hesitated to risk spilling fuel. I have heard the use of a shop vac & covering vents effective for quickly replacing plug with valve but hesitated to try it.
If you are installing a permanent polishing arrangement I would consider using the p,urged fittings on the opposite (port) side

Welcome to the forum - and good luck with all that. It's meant to be fun, remember... :flowers:

I do have the site glass

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom