Koehler 8EOZ genny output voltage too high at startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derek

Vessel Name
Donna Mae
Vessel Make
2005 Mainship 430
I noticed the Xantrax Freedom SW 3000w inverter would hold back the generator output for a while until the output dropped. It now can take almost 5 minutes output starts about 140v and then will bounce around a bit in the 130-140 range until it settles into a safe 120- ish range for the inverter to pass along the juice to the batteries to recharge. I am guessing there is a voltage regulator somewhere that needs replacement. I am getting comfortable tackling projects like this but electrical has been by kryptonite. Opinions on how to confirm diagnosis and skill level needed to DIY repair. Thanks all

I would first check the AC frequency when it is over voltage. With no load it shouldn't be more than 63hz. If it is, then find the RPM adjustment and slow the engine down as needed and see if that helps.

I would also check for loose connections and /or damaged wires.

There is a manual available online if you don't have one that shows how everything is put together. There is also a regulator adjustment that you might try. All that failing, then my guess would be the same as yours - a failing regulator. I just fear it will be an expensive part.

I would first check the AC frequency when it is over voltage. With no load it shouldn't be more than 63hz. If it is, then find the RPM adjustment and slow the engine down as needed and see if that helps.

I would also check for loose connections and /or damaged wires.

There is a manual available online if you don't have one that shows how everything is put together. There is also a regulator adjustment that you might try. All that failing, then my guess would be the same as yours - a failing regulator. I just fear it will be an expensive part.

Thx. Heading out to boat next weekend and will try this.

From the manual for our Kohler 9CC0Z

Attachments

• High Voltage.png
    High Voltage.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 10
From the manual for our Kohler 9CC0Z

Thx Blue. Given Electrical is my kryptonite looks like I may need to get some help.

Back
Top Bottom