Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 62
This was originally a 42' Webbers Cove, however, one of the owners extended it by about 10 feet. Anyone care to comment on how well this is likely to perform? It is single engine and I suspect maneuvering it would be a royal pain. The price is right at $35K but only 2 pics and not much description of equipment.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/webbers-cove-53-flybridge-cruiser-3674144/
It is done on Downeast type hulls quite often. The best place to get info on Webbers Cove boast is here.

https://www.downeastboatforum.com/

If extended in the saloon (forward of the engine) area and the bow and stern thruster HP was increased, I suspect the effect would be minimal.

Greetings,
Mr. D. I suspect the dearth of pictures and the astonishingly low price is some indication of not only the condition but also of the handling characteristics. The prop and rudder are almost amidships and while you may be able to turn on a dime, going in a straight line might be problematic.

Could be a prime candidate for a "Frankenboat" award.

94212429_4319890821370163_5261598262044917760_n.jpg

This was originally a 42' Webbers Cove, however, one of the owners extended it by about 10 feet. Anyone care to comment on how well this is likely to perform? It is single engine and I suspect maneuvering it would be a royal pain. The price is right at $35K but only 2 pics and not much description of equipment.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/webbers-cove-53-flybridge-cruiser-3674144/

Typically that would equate to being a nightmare in following seas especially.

Webbers Cove was the first production fiberglass boat builder in Maine. They built for the Navy primarily but also many working lobsterboats and yachts.They had an excellent reputation. Did Lyman Morse do the extension ? Seems LM did several similar builds on 46 Jarvis Newman hulls over the years.
Extreme extension here without moving the running gear. I would think a seatrial would answer most handling questions. At worst, maybe a cheap loop boat or liveabord dock queen if the layout worked for you.

"After being purchased by a new owner, the boat was extended 10' to make her a much better live aboard vessel."

Pretty much says it all right there. " a live aboard vessel"

Greetings,
Mr. D. I suspect the dearth of pictures and the astonishingly low price is some indication of not only the condition but also of the handling characteristics. The prop and rudder are almost amidships and while you may be able to turn on a dime, going in a straight line might be problematic.

Could be a prime candidate for a "Frankenboat" award.

RT, I am somewhat disappointed you have not installed a wood burning stove.

If extended in the saloon (forward of the engine) area and the bow and stern thruster HP was increased, I suspect the effect would be minimal.

I agree with you, but the out of water pic appears to show that the extension was done AFT of the props . . . . What were they thinking?:nonono:

Well, you don't cut the boat in half in front of the motor, everyone extends running surface aft.

I agree with you, but the out of water pic appears to show that the extension was done AFT of the props . . . . What were they thinking?:nonono:

A desire for a larger cockpit??
I agree, hanging 10 additional feet astern without moving the running gear back 10 ft is asking for handling problems.

Well, you don't cut the boat in half in front of the motor, everyone extends running surface aft.

I have seen more than a few boats where the owner suffered for 10 additional feet so they could be the proud owner of a 100 ft boat. They cut them forward of the engine.
Think of all we could do with 10 additional feet in the ER. LOL
"Honey, I have found a place for a lathe and drill press and work bench."

Last edited:
See boat photo on post # 8821

I imagine that due to fairly deep original keel and what looks like some sort of relatively shallow tracking keel applied to the bottom where 10' extension was constructed:

The boat will handle fairly well in a straight line during fairly flat sea conditions.

The boat should be alright to handle in not too rough seas as long as it's heading squarely into the waves.

However... in 3/4 beam seas, broadside seas or following seas with wave height of any extent... I would not want to be the captain at the wheel nor to even to be aboard.

Also... if that boat gets into conflicted circumstances of severely roiled seas due to opposite direction tidal currents as compared to rolling waves and wind driven chop seas - I'd want to be onshore taking photos!

:thumb:

Last edited:

Thanks for pointing that out. That is not the way I would have done it.
If given the boat for free, first thing I would do is to cut that 10ft off and dispose of it.
I doubt if the "addition" was approved by a naval engineer.

Basically, the rudder and prop is way forward of the stern.
It really looks dangerous to me.

Usually [most] boat hulls and their interactive marine portions were designed by concerned and well educated as well as very capable/experienced naval architects, marine engineers and decades experienced boat builders.

Therefore... why in hell would anyone want to add an extension onto a perfectly good, well designed and proven to operate correctly boat? If you want a larger boat... purchase one and sell the other!

Logis is as logic does!! LOL

Guy I knew stretched his boat the same way. The next year during a halibut opener the wind kicked up and we had following seas of pretty good size. On the radio he complained of handling problems. Not long after the boat rolled and all were lost. As is that is a lake only boat..........little lake.

Guy I knew stretched his boat the same way. The next year during a halibut opener the wind kicked up and we had following seas of pretty good size. On the radio he complained of handling problems. Not long after the boat rolled and all were lost. As is that is a lake only boat..........little lake.

Wow, DNT - you mean all persons aboard were lost or just all of the boat itself was lost? Bummer in poth instances... unreal bummer of lives were included.

Boat and four guys. It has been a few years ago but if I remember correctly they must have seen it coming because two bodies were found in survival suits. It was lumpy enough they had drown on the surface.

See boat photo on post # 8821

I imagine that due to fairly deep original keel and what looks like some sort of relatively shallow tracking keel applied to the bottom where 10' extension was constructed:

The boat will handle fairly well in a straight line during fairly flat sea conditions.

The boat should be alright to handle in not too rough seas as long as it's heading squarely into the waves.

However... in 3/4 beam seas, broadside seas or following seas with wave height of any extent... I would not want to be the captain at the wheel nor to even to be aboard.

Also... if that boat gets into conflicted circumstances of severely roiled seas due to opposite direction tidal currents as compared to rolling waves and wind driven chop seas - I'd want to be onshore taking photos!

:thumb:

10 footitus is costly in more ways than construction.

Many commercial fishing boats have been lengthened and operate in heavy seas regularly. Usually, lengthened commercial boats are certified with an engineering stamp.

I have heard of many pleasure boat hulls extended with 2-4 feet added as a swim step to improve performance (appears due to compensate for needed rear flotation.

The best I have seen are the rear hull extensions that taper upwards towards the rear for improved hydrodynamics like a commercial troller hull.

Who needs a dink?

Unfortunately, the copter isn't included in the price. Geez, the cockpit looks like a dance hall and the bar looks like a REAL bar minus the liquor. She seems to be missing a galley and even a stateroom but maybe the photographer missed them. This got to be the ultimate water party pad. Did I mention only 140 hours on the DDs? Where did the cold dead fish go?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1974/custom-pilot-house-motor-yacht-3674568/

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. D. The listing says "endless possibilities". My question is "For what?". Certainly NOT cruising for any longer than a day...

The few but telling shots of the ER suggest very poor housekeeping, to me, at least. The whole boat hurts my eyes. Ugh!

iu

46 year old boar built in plywood covered in FRP and they're asking $350K???? I don't think so. $50K, maybe...tops.

Last edited:
It's a nice looking party boat. Small dinner cruises (catered of course since there's no galley) and tours of a few hours. Not USCG certified so you're limited to 6-packs. Some parts of it are well finished: Looks like a really nice onyx countertop in the head, but I used to have a brass sink like that and it needed polishing twice a day.

Some parts of it are not so well-finished: Did you guys catch the T-111 on the ceiling in the stateroom? Haha

Might be worth $50k. Buy it, use it on rivers and the Loop for as long as you can, then probably still sell it for 50k at that time.

Great dockqueen - unfortunately only 30 amp plug-in!

And, no... I do not like that floating house boat. Wonder how others in the marina like it when copter lands on top deck - LOL

Engine hours calced at # of years afloat = just a couple of hours per year. Dockqueen if there ever was one!

Great dockqueen - unfortunately only 30 amp plug-in!

And, no... I do not like that floating house boat. Wonder how others in the marina like it when copter lands on top deck - LOL
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1974/custom-pilot-house-motor-yacht-3674568/

Engine hours calced at # of years afloat = just a couple of hours per year. Dockqueen if there ever was one!

Best guess, the boat did not work as desired.
If one wants a cruising boat, someone will have to spend the big bucks to bring it back to reality.
Another down side is all that varnish work to maintain.

Last edited:
Best guess, the boat did not work as designed.
If one wants a cruising boat, someone will have to spend the big bucks to bring it back to reality.

I'd love to see it on the hard... so what they describe as a "flat" bottom could be discussed. What does "flat" actually mean for the bottom of a 60 + foot boat??

Back when... Was this boat designed for some rich kid who hired another kid to do the engineering and architectural layouts? Then after a couple months to a year "party hardy" the boat was simply left at dock with trust fund $$$ appropriated to forever keep its appearances up?

The excruciating low number of hours on its original [50 year old] motors leans toward a tale of some sort... :popcorn:

Unfortunately, the copter isn't included in the price. Geez, the cockpit looks like a dance hall and the bar looks like a REAL bar minus the liquor. She seems to be missing a galley and even a stateroom but maybe the photographer missed them.
My guess is it was setup that way as a waiting room/lounge for a helicopter tour business of some sort. Possibly as a way to skirt around limits on where a helicopter could land or be stored.

Looks to be a Robinson R22 copter (the listing mentions that type), but not sure about the N-number.

My guess is N2301J but that doesn't come back to a helicopter

The aren't enough pixels for me to make it out.

ROTORSPOT - Historical (Complete) Civil Rotorcraft Register for USA
https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=2301J

7403212_20200508181227401_1_XLARGE.jpg

A Bing.com search on the image shows it was used for an apartment rental of some sort, Archive.org has a copy of the listing.

The boat was also used for a photoshopped image with a plane on it.

The PSIX database shows nothing named Centurion from 1974 that would match this vessel.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. wk. WOW! Great detective work. Perhaps if you dig deeper you might turn up a Nigerian prince...Yup. For $349K I suspect something is amiss.

iu

Back
Top Bottom