Initial start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eli27

Just bought a boat. Question on the 120 leyman. Can I start the engine with the waterpump impeller not in for 30 seconds? I'm changing the filters and want (need) the engine to start right up when splashed. Marina I'm at is super rude. No dock, no help, no nothing. They put boat in water and you told to the F out. Which I can't wait.

Thanks
Eli

Yes, it will be fine without the impeller for short times. Just don’t run it too long and overheat the engine. Are you familiar with American Diesel? They are the gurus for Lehmans. 804-435-3107

Ah yeah, fuel filters eh? Yeah, you can light up the engine to make sure the air is bled.

When they splash it the water should flow in nicely. Make sure you have the seacocks open...

Another question. I have 2 drain plugs to screw in. What type of silicone (if any) do I use on the threads?

Greetings,
Mr. E. AAAAHHHH!!!! NEVER use silicone anywhere on a boat! There are multiple caulks/sealants available for all applications. Silicone is for land based toilets!

Be careful of throttling up though, not sure about a Lehman but other diesels will burn the rubber exhaust hose (generally turbo diesels...so I am not sure).

The engine won't overheat for minutes just near idle...but even short bursts of power and the exhaust becomes the issue.

Ah yeah, fuel filters eh? Yeah, you can light up the engine to make sure the air is bled.

When they splash it the water should flow in nicely. Make sure you have the seacocks open...

Without the impeller in (see OP), may want to have the pump plate on or keep the seacock closed as no impeller/no pumping.

Hi,

I have built a simple system for the winter restoration of the engine. A garden hose instead of a shower with a thread and a shut-off valve at the end of the hose and I bring it to the engine room and raw water filter cover open and the hose there, so I can call the engine, filter/oil changes when the boat is up in the yard.

NBs

Just bought a boat. Question on the 120 leyman. Can I start the engine with the waterpump impeller not in for 30 seconds? I'm changing the filters and want (need) the engine to start right up when splashed. Marina I'm at is super rude. No dock, no help, no nothing. They put boat in water and you told to the F out. Which I can't wait.

Thanks
Eli

Just to confirm what you are typing to accomplish.... You are changing filters, presumably oil and fuel, while on the hard, and what to deal with any resulting hard starting problems now, not once the boat is splashed. Sound right?

I think only a fuel filter change will pose a potential problem, mitigated by proper bleeding.

As others have said, a test fire is fine, but only for seconds. Coolant temp is not the problem - exhaust temp is. With no water injected into the exhaust stream the exhaust hose will quickly overhead and be damaged. I wouldn't run for more than 5-10 seconds.

If getting the bum's rush from the yard is a problem, perhaps wait until you are splashed to change the fuel filter, rather than feeling pressured to run the engine dry and possibly damage the exhaust hose. Note that the exhaust hose damage will at least initially not be visible or detectable since it will be on the inside of the hose. An oil filter change shouldn't cause any engine start problem.

I'd keep it to 30 seconds or less and no more than idle. But exhaust temps at idle on most diesels aren't all that high, so it should take more than 30 seconds from a cold start to get any of the exhaust components hot enough to cause damage. Above idle (or with a gas engine) the exhaust temps are a lot higher and damage will happen faster.

Agree w above recommendations but will add...
Refilling w new oil and checking w dipstick is fine for initial start but would recommend rechecked level after in the water and boat moved out of launch area just to confirm proper level after the initial run.

I always changed my fuel filters after spring launch. They’d put me in the water. I’d run the Lehman for 3 or 4 minutes then toss the lines and run for 6 hours to my summer slip. I would change the filters there.
If you get air in the fuel lines or filter housing the engine will run for many minutes 20 perhaps before it stalls. Not a good scenario.
Been there got the T shirt.

Back
Top Bottom