Important topic, requiring wide-ranging input...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottC

Guru
Vessel Name
ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Make
Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Why is my Gin freezing?

I like Tanqueray & Tonics. Bombay Sapphire is the preferred backup.

On our boat, I noticed that Bombay Sapphire (~40% alcohol) would begin to freeze and turn to slush in the freezer. Tanqueray (~43% alcohol) would not. Hence, I standardized on Tanqueray!

Now, for the first time, my Tanqueray is turning to slush. My first conclusion is that my freezer is simply too cold. Unfortunately, I have no way to control the temperature of the freezer alone.

Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on here? If I pour the slush into a shot glass, am I getting the same mix as if the gin were not in the freezer? Or, am I getting more alcohol and less water or vice versa. To put it succinctly, is the slush ok? Or should I start putting the gin in the refrigerator??

Discuss...

Attachments

• T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I'd guess your freezer is pretty darn cold! I'd probably just keep it in the fridge. If the tonic is also in the fridge I often don't bother with an ice cube for a G&T.

I'd guess your freezer is pretty darn cold! I'd probably just keep it in the fridge. If the tonic is also in the fridge I often don't bother with an ice cube for a G&T.

I just put a thermometer in the freezer. Results will be posted shortly.
My tonic has to be Schweppes. And NOT sugar-free Schweppes, which totally changes the flavor of the drink for the worse!

Gin requires a temp of -26C to -27C to freeze. You either have a very cold freezer or someone has sold you water downed Gin.

Considering the cost of those products, I might suggest there own storage facility where you can control the temperature to your desire. A small Engel freezer would be a good choice.

Ted

Leaving it in the freezer long enough to freeze is the problem
Drinking it faster is the solution

While on the subject of freezers and gin
Have been squeezing lemons and making ice cubes from the juice, cracked out of mould and stored in a zip lock bag

2 ice cubes, 1 lemon cube in the 4pm gin and sodas

Last edited:
Do you have under age kids around who might be sneaking some and replacing with water?

If not, I’d move it to the fridge to eliminate any risk of freezing, cracking, and possible loss of the gin

Malmo’s famous gin slushy. Can’t wait to try it

Please send all your gin to me and I will test it in my freezer.

Tough dilemma. How olds the Tanqueray? If it sits around with the cap off could the alcohol content could go down as it evaporates? :D

Gin requires a temp of -26C to -27C to freeze. You either have a very cold freezer or someone has sold you water downed Gin.

Preliminary results are in. -26C in my freezer!

Tough dilemma. How olds the Tanqueray? If it sits around with the cap off could the alcohol content could go down as it evaporates? :D

Good question. Don't know how long it's been sitting on the shelf in the store, but it's only been in my freezer for a couple of weeks - with the cap on tightly.

Do you have under age kids around who might be sneaking some and replacing with water?

If not, I’d move it to the fridge to eliminate any risk of freezing, cracking, and possible loss of the gin

I think we're looking at moving it to the refrigerator. Can't quite justify the exotic dedicated refrigerator Ted suggests ;-)

That’s -14.8 degrees F. Way too cold for Gin. Send it to me for rehab.

Something is definitely wrong with your freezer control (thermostat?). Zero degrees F is a common household freezer setting.

Have been squeezing lemons and making ice cubes from the juice, cracked out of mould and stored in a zip lock bag

Neat idea! Will try this -- except some of us in the northern hemisphere prefer to use limes ;-)

Your taste is right on the money! Especially the Schweppes. Does Hendrick's fall somewhere on the spectrum of acceptable gin?

Your taste is right on the money! Especially the Schweppes. Does Hendrick's fall somewhere on the spectrum of acceptable gin?

Yes - but with cucumber. Still, I prefer the Tanaquery somewhat over the Hendricks.

Put me down as a Tanqueray fan as well, although generally given the choice between Bombay Sapphire and Tanqueray I'll go for Bombay. I'm often a bit lazy on the boat, however, and use tonic with lime already in it.

I think we're looking at moving it to the refrigerator. Can't quite justify the exotic dedicated refrigerator Ted suggests ;-)

People DO have dedicated wine fridges. Why should gin be discriminated against? It’s time to stand up for gin-rights!

Leaving it in the freezer long enough to freeze is the problem
Drinking it faster is the solution

I'm with Simi on this one, very good advice!

Out here I keep Aviation gin on board, backup emergency gin is Bombay. Store it low up front, nice and cool there.

Talk about great gin - Empress, distilled in Sidney. And yes, it’s purple!

Attachments

• 270253C6-E239-4A01-8A0C-1E9494937E2D.jpg
    270253C6-E239-4A01-8A0C-1E9494937E2D.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 33
I personally like my martinis with ice crystals in it, thus slushy gin just adds to the marvelous effect!

Three glugs gin to a pint of tonic over ice and a handfull of limes was called a "chalk bucket" in the good ol reenacting days, sitting round a fire.

Gin you reminded me of some things I forgot.

Gin makes me grin... :D

I, too, was a fan of Schweppes (NOT the diet version!) until I discovered Fever Tree tonic waters. I was surprised how much of a difference premium tonic water can make in a G&T.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom