Hurricane zone Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Looking for 43-46'
Vessel Make
well equipped trawler
Hello all,
Newb/Lurker here, researching insurance on planned future trawler purchase.
Have quote for 5K/year on 150K boat based South Louisiana year round

1- if I keep a trawler on the Tenn Tom( Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee), how far inland to avoid the hurricane area premiums during hurricane season?

2- Am I really going to save any money? Besides the comfort factor:)

Thinking this would give me good access Gulf Coast/Florida/East Coast during off season, then home via the inland loop during hurricane season??

Thanks,
Bill

For most insurance companies, Demopolis is the first marina area on the Tombigbee above the hurricane line.

I have that kind of insurance for the East coast. Basically above Savannah, GA from 07/01 through 11/01. My savings is about 40 to 50% (haven't checked in 5 years).

The navigation area of your policy may also effect that. As mine covers cruising in the Bahamas, there may be a bigger savings for not being in the Bahamas during hurricane season.

Ted

5k for 150k seems high to me. I pay $2900 for 160k coverage. Progressive. Boat stays in Florida.

Thanks for the info, this was Geico agreed value 150K. Coastal and Inland
300K/1 mil/300K $4100/year w/ boat based in South Louisiana

Is it possible rates are that much higher for Louisiana because of all the recent hurricanes?

I’m in Jacksonville, and (knock on wood) it has seen fewer storms recently.

Do you own a boat, or was this based on boats your looking at? Age of the vessel, hull material, your experience level all factor in. You may not get your final best price until you have a contract and survey in hand. Do you want to offer some information on your boating experience and the boat to help us offer more helpful suggestions?

Ted

Is it possible rates are that much higher for Louisiana because of all the recent hurricanes?

I’m in Jacksonville, and (knock on wood) it has seen fewer storms recently.

Actually got this quote before Hurricanes Laura and Delta.

Do you own a boat, or was this based on boats your looking at? Age of the vessel, hull material, your experience level all factor in. You may not get your final best price until you have a contract and survey in hand. Do you want to offer some information on your boating experience and the boat to help us offer more helpful suggestions?

Ted
For the quote I spec'd a 1995 Jefferson, with Trawler 101 and 102 certs and keeping the boat at my residence on the bayou. Quote stated final price determined by condition and valuation survey. Lots of boating experience, but none of it documented.

Actually got this quote before Hurricanes Laura and Delta.

For the quote I spec'd a 1995 Jefferson, with Trawler 101 and 102 certs and keeping the boat at my residence on the bayou. Quote stated final price determined by condition and valuation survey. Lots of boating experience, but none of it documented.

While I'm no where near an expert, here are some thoughts:

The quote is on a 25 year old boat. The older something is, the more likely parts of systems fail. Not that you're boat wouldn't be squared away, but a failure of a helm pump might be more likely to cause an accident as an example.

Is the dock behind your house of the floating style? How high a storm surge will the pilings handle? How protected is it from wind, waves, boat traffic, and storm debris? How safe is it from theft or vandalism? Not saying you shouldn't keep your boat behind your house, but insurance companies have to consider how risky your boats normal location is.

I don't know how they evaluate your experience. In my situation, I've had a Captain's license for 35 years and the required sea time to maintain and renew the license. Don't remember if I sent them a copy of the license, they were able to verify it through the USCG, or just took my word for it. Did they ask you your experience, size of vessels you have run, or size of vessels you owned?

I'm not trying to make excuses for the insurance company, but their agent's job is to evaluate and qualify risk. The above may be some of what they're considering in addition to being in a significant part of the hurricane zone.

Ted

Last edited:
While I'm no where near an expert, here are some thoughts:

The quote is on a 25 year old boat. The older something is, the more likely parts of systems fail. Not that you're boat wouldn't be squared away, but a failure of a helm pump might be more likely to cause an accident as an example. Have a good friend, delivery skipper who has agreed to be my "consultant" pre purchase inspection and shakedown

Is the dock behind your house of the floating style? How high a storm surge will the pilings handle? How protected is it from wind, waves, boat traffic, and storm debris? How safe is it from theft or vandalism? Not saying you shouldn't keep your boat behind your house, but insurance companies have to consider how risky your boats normal location is. Plan on keeping the boat out of "hurricane zone" in season. Have been thru enough hurricanes, dont want to worry about a boat.

I don't know how they evaluate your experience. In my situation, I've had a Captain's license for 35 years and the required sea time to maintain and renew the license. Don't remember if I sent them a copy of the license, they were able to verify it through the USCG, or just took my word for it. Did they ask you your experience, size of vessels you have run, or size of vessels you owned? Didnt ask anything, just filled application w/ Trawler 101/102.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the insurance company, but their agent's job is to evaluate and qualify risk. The above may be some of what they're considering in addition to being in a significant part of the hurricane zone.
I agree, thanks for the input. My theory is that insurance is for major loss, I dont try to get them to pay for a "broken windshield" or fender bender.

Ted

Retiring this year, (62) Have helped skipper buddy relocate sportfishing boats from Louisiana to the Keys and Bahamas. Best friend has 50something Angel I have spent a lot of time on, we are moving this boat from Keys to Louisiana March or April. Doing all this research so see if I can have a vessel of my own without breaking the IRA. Worked offshore all my life. Currently in the GOM since Nov 10, on a vessel with a 100ton crane and 2 ROV's. Setting infrastructure on bottom in 5000' of water for BP. Attachment is upside down for some reason:banghead:

Attachments

• IMG_7070.jpg
    IMG_7070.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 20
If you're in a place where hurricanes hit a lot, you're going to get hosed.

I know. We are. And, we do. We make up for it with unbelievably cheap marina slip rates. So it all works out.

If you're in a place where hurricanes hit a lot, you're going to get hosed.

I know. We are. And, we do. We make up for it with unbelievably cheap marina slip rates. So it all works out.

Group 9, sweet boat, and Bay St Louis would be my sweet spot. Love the Mississipi/Alabama Gulf Coast. Probably 3-4 hours from home. Easy access to Fla or Tx. Not much in the way of marinas Louisiana. Have been researching marina rates. Where do you keep your boat?
Bill

Maybe if you can come up with a detailed hurricane plan the rates would be lower?

The problem with that area is where do you run to? How does Lake Pontchartrain fare during hurricanes? Is there a place to hide out at anchor? Or maybe haul out and strap down for hurricanes?

Just spitballing here for ideas. The unfortunate fact is you will be constantly dodging hurricanes and worrying about the boat, unless you are smart like Ted and get the hell out during hurricane season.

Group 9, sweet boat, and Bay St Louis would be my sweet spot. Love the Mississipi/Alabama Gulf Coast. Probably 3-4 hours from home. Easy access to Fla or Tx. Not much in the way of marinas Louisiana. Have been researching marina rates. Where do you keep your boat?
Bill

Thanks! City of Bay Saint Louis marina. $256 per month, taxes and power included (less than our boat insurance, for sure!). :D

It's a fun town, too. Very lively downtown, shopping, restaurant and bar area. We live very close to downtown, so I can walk to the boat.

You also have a pretty good marina at Pass Christian and Gulfport. Long Beach was nice, but it got pretty beat up in Zeta and will be a while getting repaired. Biloxi marinas took a couple of hits the last couple of years, too.

Last edited:
Maybe if you can come up with a detailed hurricane plan the rates would be lower?

The problem with that area is where do you run to? How does Lake Pontchartrain fare during hurricanes? Is there a place to hide out at anchor? Or maybe haul out and strap down for hurricanes?

Just spitballing here for ideas. The unfortunate fact is you will be constantly dodging hurricanes and worrying about the boat, unless you are smart like Ted and get the hell out during hurricane season.

We had to move our boat to the hurricane hole four times this year (a record).

It got old, I will admit.

But, hurricane holes exist all over the place down here. The usual problems are people who get caught way out of town when one shows up, or have some other intervening reason why they can't move it, or who are new to boating, or at least new to boating in a hurricane prone area, and just don't know what to do, and when to do it.

City of Bay Saint Louis marina. $256 per month, taxes and power included (less than our boat insurance, for sure!). :D

Wow. That certainly is cheap and like you say help makes up for extra insurance premium.

I pay $740 in Jacksonville. 41’ boat.

Retiring this year, (62) Have helped skipper buddy relocate sportfishing boats from Louisiana to the Keys and Bahamas. Best friend has 50something Angel I have spent a lot of time on, we are moving this boat from Keys to Louisiana March or April. Doing all this research so see if I can have a vessel of my own without breaking the IRA. Worked offshore all my life. Currently in the GOM since Nov 10, on a vessel with a 100ton crane and 2 ROV's. Setting infrastructure on bottom in 5000' of water for BP. Attachment is upside down for some reason:banghead:

Did you consider getting your captain's license? It sounds like you have enough sea time and probably have enough boating experience.

I would consider reapplying (I prefer to talk to an agent) and requesting a quote for insurance with the boat outside the hurricane zone during the season. Understand that some insurance companies (mine) have zero coverage for anything that happens if your boat isn't outside the zone during the stated time period.

Ted

Thanks! City of Bay Saint Louis marina. $256 per month, taxes and power included (less than our boat insurance, for sure!). :D

It's a fun town, too. Very lively downtown, shopping, restaurant and bar area. We live very close to downtown, so I can walk to the boat.

You also have a pretty good marina at Pass Christian and Gulfport. Long Beach was nice, but it got pretty beat up in Zeta and will be a while getting repaired. Biloxi marinas took a couple of hits the last couple of years, too.
Great info, actually thinking of moving when I retire. Have fond memories of Long Beach and bringing my waverunners to the islands. Close to the Chandeleurs(SP) for fishing and Cruising the Coast also.

Did you consider getting your captain's license? It sounds like you have enough sea time and probably have enough boating experience. All my work related sea time has nothing to do with operating the boat

I would consider reapplying (I prefer to talk to an agent) and requesting a quote for insurance with the boat outside the hurricane zone during the season. Understand that some insurance companies (mine) have zero coverage for anything that happens if your boat isn't outside the zone during the stated time period. This I will do, when I am ready to buy. Or talk to the forums resident insurance expert!

Ted

Thanks for all the info guys, now I have a pretty solid plan for insurance, and moorage:thumb:,

Lots of good info here. Rates have indeed increased over the past year, especially given that boat sales are up 50% over last year (and claims are up exponentially as well). The basics have been covered well:

• older boat
  • hurricane zone primary mooring
  • light/zero ownership history (nothing noted in the thread)

Lots of factors come into play in calculating the risk- not just the above, but loss history of the owner, fuel type, hull type, vessel age, and more.

I strongly advise against having your delivery skipper friend do the evaluation on the vessel- too much nepotism. Engage the services of a professional surveyor that will give you the real scoop on the material condition and valuation of the vessel.

Lots of good info here. Rates have indeed increased over the past year, especially given that boat sales are up 50% over last year (and claims are up exponentially as well). The basics have been covered well:

• older boat
  • hurricane zone primary mooring
  • light/zero ownership history (nothing noted in the thread)

Lots of factors come into play in calculating the risk- not just the above, but loss history of the owner, fuel type, hull type, vessel age, and more.

I strongly advise against having your delivery skipper friend do the evaluation on the vessel- too much nepotism.Was wanting him to evaluate and advise before engage surveyor Engage the services of a professional surveyor that will give you the real scoop on the material condition and valuation of the vessel.

Should have clarified that Rusty (Capt O'Douls) has trusted marine surveyors that he uses.

Should have clarified that Rusty (Capt O'Douls) has trusted marine surveyors that he uses.

Don't know Rusty, but I again strongly recommend getting a dispassionate 3rd party to review and survey the boat- I've seen too many times where a "trusted friend" has not had the stones to tell it to the prospective owner straight.

I'm a licensed skipper- this does not mean I have the experience to evaluate a vessel for anything more than cursory information.

Don't know Rusty, but I again strongly recommend getting a dispassionate 3rd party to review and survey the boat- I've seen too many times where a "trusted friend" has not had the stones to tell it to the prospective owner straight.

I'm a licensed skipper- this does not mean I have the experience to evaluate a vessel for anything more than cursory information.

Will do Peter, thanks for the experienced advice.
Bill

Madisonville $250 river slip 45ft floating docks. Did not have more for any storm this year. Great town and Great boating town

Madisonville $250 river slip 45ft floating docks. Did not have more for any storm this year. Great town and Great boating town

One of our favorite towns, too. We love going to the Wooden Boat Show (or whatever they call it now, Classic boat show?). :)

Roger that kartracer, Madisonville is great, have made the Tickfaw 200 mile poker run there a couple times. What marina? Sure there are plenty of hurricane holes around there.

Attachments

• 75pics 071.jpg
    75pics 071.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 25

I have seen you drive a boat.....the USCG issues a pon-pon when you come out of the locks!! LOL

Try Progressive I have a 1987 46' Jefferson, the insurance is with Progressive and the agreed replacement value is, $110,000 and the premium is $1,950 annually. The boat is kept at Marina Beau Chene in Mandeville, La. this is the best hurricane hole marina on the gulf coast, Fees are $275 p/month for the slip $45 p/month for electricity. We bring the boat to Gulfport, Miss. for April, May, and June, anchor out at the islands make a trip for some fishing at the Chandeliers and bring the boat back to Mandeville normally in early July before the peak of hurricane season. Even though the season was busy last year, I knew the boat would be safe and sound. We are looking forward to another enjoyable year on the Miss. Gulf Coast.
Now for the bad news, I have owned the boat for 7 years and have been with 5 different Insurance companies. They either drop you because you no longer fit into whatever their criteria is for that particular year, or they drop you because they no longer want to be in the boat insurance business. Oh, by the way, I have had 1 claim from a lightning strike in 2014 forgot what company I was with. My policy is coming up for renewal in March I hope I fit their new criteria.
Anyway, you cannot worry about what you cannot control.

Insurance

Hello all,
Newb/Lurker here, researching insurance on planned future trawler purchase.
Have quote for 5K/year on 150K boat based South Louisiana year round

1- if I keep a trawler on the Tenn Tom( Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee), how far inland to avoid the hurricane area premiums during hurricane season?

2- Am I really going to save any money? Besides the comfort factor:)

Thinking this would give me good access Gulf Coast/Florida/East Coast during off season, then home via the inland loop during hurricane season??

Thanks,
Bill

My boat is in Pensacola. I have Geico insurance. $2500/year. They just paid a $50k claim after hurricane Sally with no problems. Then they paid an additional $1400 yard fee while it's being repaired. I strongly recommend them.

My boat is in Pensacola. I have Geico insurance. $2500/year. They just paid a $50k claim after hurricane Sally with no problems. Then they paid an additional $1400 yard fee while it's being repaired. I strongly recommend them.

We have Geico (through Boat U.S.) too.

Although our boat made it through all the hurricanes with no damage, I have a feeling our rates will be going up next time, due to stories like yours.

Back
Top Bottom