Hull Number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HIN or documentation number?
The HIN are on the transom usually starboard side. Mine is under the swim platform! Easy to find in the yard, but not floating.

On the starboard side transom near the top. It is stamped into the fiberglass.

Hull serial no ( commonly hull no.)., HIN, or Doc number?

Of course hull serial number is in HIN.

Builders have a hull number, usually the number of hulls built of a particular model.

HIN is hull identification number and is usually moulded into the starboard side of the hull by the hull to deck joint. It identifies the builder and when the boat was built as well as a pn assigned build number.

Documentation number is assigned by the CG and should be attached to a permanent part of the interior of the boat.

I assume you are referring to the HIN and the location has been described above.

Hull serial no ( commonly hull no.)., HIN, or Doc number?

Of course hull serial number is in HIN.
You bring up a good point. I assumed the HIN but the hull number is what the OP asked for.

OP, the hull number is in the HIN that is stamped on the transom. It is the numbers in the middle after the letters then followed by more letters.

My ST44 is hull 427

Some builders use the number in the HIN as the hull number, some don’t. We had a Trojan that had a hull number plaque with a completely different number from the serial number portion of the HIN.

Some builders use the number in the HIN as the hull number, some don’t. We had a Trojan that had a hull number plaque with a completely different number from the serial number portion of the HIN.

If you had a plaque inside the boat with a number similar to NO. 1234567,
that is a Coast Guard documentation number assigned by the CG and has nothing to do with the hull ID number found on the transom.

that is a Coast Guard documentation number assigned by the CG and has nothing to do with the hull ID number found on the transom.

An indication your boat is or was documented

I believe the HIN is repeated some hidden place in the hull as a backup to the one on the transom in case its filed off during theft or destroyed somehow.

True its usually way different than a Doc. No.

I believe the HIN is repeated some hidden place in the hull as a backup to the one on the transom in case its filed off during theft or destroyed somehow.

Yup, a second HIN location is common. On my boat the HIN is engraved into a small plastic plate. There's one attached to the transom on the stbd corner near the hull/deck joint. And there's a second copy of the plate glassed onto the inside of the hull in the anchor locker (just barely readable through the layer of fiberglass cloth holding it on).

Attachments

• boat-hull-identification-number-015.png
    boat-hull-identification-number-015.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 13

mine 2nd copy is behind the fridge

No, it was not a CG document number since the boat was registered with the state. I did the documentation paperwork and had it documented myself. The number was a Trojan hull number as in the 40th boat of that model built. There was also a HIN that met the requirements for a HIN. The Trojan hull number was just a serial number specific to that model.

I see this true as it pertains to the OP....except it doesn't have to be on a plaque.

Any number inside the boat that didn't look like that with letters in it would probably be a duplicate HIN number.

If the boat is pre 1972 USA or 1997 Europe....who knows what the number could be.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom