How long should a Marine AC last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cool beans

Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
I replaced the forward HVAC with a Webasto FCF 12k like 6 years ago. Unit runs 24/7. Getting an E3 error code which is low pressure ie, condenser coil is shot. Loved the unit, ran flawlessly until I put her back in the water after new bottom paint back in May. I'm trying to get ahold of Webasto to see if there is any testing I can do on my own to rule out a bad pressure sensor. But, assuming the coil is bad, is 6 years expected or did mine crap out way to early?

I ask because I've never owned something this complicated or nice for this long. I'm starting to find that some of the work I did that first year is needing to be RnR'd again. Somewhat related question, is a ~5ish year service life to be expected for many systems?

6 years to failure, if properly maintained, and by that I mean filter cleaned regularly, and adequate water flow ensured is pretty poor performance for a quality unit.
The boat we purchased two years ago had 40 year old Cruiseair HVACs. One still worked, the other probably would have if the raw water pump had been replaced, but due to their age, we replaced them with brand new Mermaid units.

Then Mermaid, after I had received a partial shipment of equipment, promptly went out of business . . :nonono:. . then several months later reopened under a new name.

They still owe me two raw water pumps, which the new company said they'd provide, but it's been several months now, and I don't think I'll ever seem them. The General Manager seems to be a nice guy, but I just think he is overwhelmed by the transition.
I purchased the raw water pumps (again) from another source and the units are working flawlessly. Due to having to purchase parts twice (once for parts never provided by Mermaid, and once from another vendor to complete my installations) I paid more than I would have it I had gone with my runner up units by MarinAire, but I purchased the Mermaids because of their advertised warranty . . . which went out the window when the company folded . . . . :facepalm:

Bottom line, if your unit(s) aren't economically repairable, I'd do the research, and just replace them . . . but personally, I wouldn't go with Webasto's that failed after only 6 years.

Not enough information to condemn the unit yet.
E3 can be several things.
What service has been performed?
Water flow verified, Exchange coil chem flushed? Evap coil clean?
Voltage, temperature, pressure checks?

I have four Dometic units on a 2008 boat. Two are original units and are still running trouble free after 15 years. The other two failed after about 10 years and had to be replaced. A couple of months ago both of these newer units developed freon leaks in the condenser which made them irreparable. No codes, just lost all freon. I asked my AC technician what to expect for service life and he said about 5 years on the current Dometic models is about all you can expect (older units were made with better materials). I'm switching to a different brand that uses titanium in their condensers which I hope will extend the life of these units.

I had 3 self contained Rotary Air units that lasted 30 years. I have replaced them with the Webasto self contained units.

As of this date I only have 5 years experience with the Webasto units. I do have expectations of 15-20 years of service. We'll see how that goes.

Six years running 24/7 seems pretty good to me. I've had ten-plus years on a Dometic but that was only 24/7 in the summer.

If I was to buy a new unit today, I'd seriously consider Flagship Marine. Their build quality and repairability looks great. Note they mention they still use heavy duty copper/nickle for seawater tubes as it provides more anti-fouling than titanium.

We have two 1600 btu units on the boat, Marine Arrrr.... One is original to the boat, 1996, still works but getting weak. The other one we replaced in 2015, still working very well. But then we're in South Dak so we only use the boat half the year. Just to give you a rough sense of our experience.

There seems to be a discrepancy in West Coast/East Coast and North/South as far as longevity. Same thing I'm running into when searching about exterior Teak finishes :lol:

This is on the southern Chesapeake Bay. Tropics in the summer, Puget Sound in Winter.

I have read about Flagship. They seem great, just expensive.

I very much appreciate all the advice and experiences! Any locals with Chesapeake Bay experiences?

Not enough information to condemn the unit yet.
E3 can be several things.
What service has been performed?
Water flow verified, Exchange coil chem flushed? Evap coil clean?
Voltage, temperature, pressure checks?

Basic cleaning. Water flows. Last 6 years, did a few chem flushes. There are no pressure gauges or ports on this model, hence why it is on the cheaper side. I'm sure it is even repairable if the condenser is bad. I do need to call and at least talk to an HVAC person.

I just replaced a 10 year old Marin Air 16k unit while at Atlantic Yacht Basin a couple of months ago. I did have a HVAC tech come do a quick check of the unit and he confirmed it was better to replace than repair. They quoted me $5300 for them to replace with a Dometic. I was able to buy the same Dometic for $2200 at West Marine and did it myself in about 2 hours.

I asked both the yard manager and the HVAC tech about the webasto as the price was good but got a thumbs down from both. Neither liked the fact that they are not serviceable.

You have done all the maintenance basics.
Didn't realize that model doesn't have service ports.
At $1500 internet it is probably time to cut it loose. With 3 points of connection for a new unit you don't need anything complicated to replace it.
2c worth for your original question I still see a lot of 20 plus year old units running, but at today's costs things that were repairable are no longer cost effective. This one for example, time to install taps just to get pressure readings probably pushes it over the edge.

For the Webasto units, the older style FCF units don't have service ports. The FCF Platinum unit I have has what appear to be service ports. I expect the newer Bluecool units have them as well.

Once you start the search for a new unit (post with that query and you will get pages of responses) take a look at MarinAire. They are on the upper end of the price curve but the only manufacturer I know of with built in oil dampened refrigerant gauges. probably the biggest leak issue is schrader valves not reseating after gauge hookup. this unit you can see immediately how it is performing without doing anything.

Back
Top Bottom