Help to find boat height for transport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Godabitibi

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship 40 Pilothouse
HI everyone.

I need help finding the height of the boat I'm buying for the transport company.

It's a 1981 Mainship 40 pilothouse.
Would like to know without the upper helm.

Slow Down, buddy..

A 1981 Mainship 40 is a nice enough boat. Not great but OK. Unless you really know what you are doing, a 40 year old boat is not worth removing the upper help for truck transport.

I'm taking a wild guess that you paid between $50,000 and $75,000 for the boat (thats a high estimate). Truck transport, depending on miles to be transported could run you close to the cost of the boat. Is a 40 year old Mainship worth it? Probably not.

pete

You need to measure the actual boat you are buying. Over the course of 40 years, there is no telling what prior owners have added or subtracted to the superstructure of the vessel.

That is true for in water but not on the trailer.

Last edited:
Slow Down, buddy..

A 1981 Mainship 40 is a nice enough boat. Not great but OK. Unless you really know what you are doing, a 40 year old boat is not worth removing the upper help for truck transport.

I'm taking a wild guess that you paid between $50,000 and $75,000 for the boat (thats a high estimate). Truck transport, depending on miles to be transported could run you close to the cost of the boat. Is a 40 year old Mainship worth it? Probably not.

pete

That's a hard reply !

There is always someone ready to hit you hard and treat you as a dumb ass on any forum.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Well, that advice might be a hard dose of reality but it's true. Maybe you're way ahead of all this and you don't need that advice, and maybe you have a sensible reason to want to dismantle and move that boat, but it takes a pile of cash to move a big(ger) boat. Many boats are never quite the same after they've been taken apart, shipped and reassembled like that. Again maybe you know all this already but when somebody posts a question like that, other prospective buyers may be reading those answers for years to come.

The other advice about measuring the boat you're actually buying is also good advice. Generic specs or the dimensions of somebody else's boat that you get on an internet forum doesn't cut it. The trucker will thank you if you have actual dimensions. I know from experience...

Last edited:
Yes I understand that but I asked for a measure and was answered with something totally away.

Maybe ask some questions before hitting hard.

Also not very nice when someone tell you the boat you're buying is just OK but not great.

We are not all the same, not same finance, not same taste etc.

He knows nothing about me AND the boat.

I have a true story here to explain why I don't like this kind of answer.

A few years back I asked a very reputable Ferrari shop about a Testarossa I wanted to buy.

He asked me if it was number XXXX and I said yes. He told me to stay away from this car because it was neglected and repainted and bla bla bla.
The car I looked at was WAY from being that.

I also told him I was on a tight budget and this car was priced right for mr and he told me if I was on a tight budget I couldn't afford a Testarossa.
(who the F... are you to tell me that when you don't know me)

I ended up buying the car. I was VERY HAPPY to own it.
People were telling me it was in like new condition. Experts couldn't tell me if it was repainted or not looking at it. It looked perfect.

It is actually probably my best purchase in my car life. And this guy with no facts was telling me to stay away from it and that I couldn't afford a Testarossa. I sold it a few years after and still regret it sometimes.

NOW PLEASE
for those who know give me a measure.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Pete, if you know of a diesel trawler boat that you can send me nice fresh pictures and that is in usable as is condition and can deliver it to Ottawa for $28K US I buy it NOW.

Now you have some facts!

OK, I guess I'll take a minute and defend my response.

Here are some facts which have come out after the original post, I didn't know them then but I do now. AND I stay with my original response.

A Mainship is an OK boat. Not great but OK. If you want this forum to tell you it is the best boat made, super high quality and workmanship, top of the line (so to speak), on a par with a K.K. or Nordhavn. Fine with me, keep waiting. Anyone who knows boats knows they are good boats, OK boats, but not great. Sorry if this offends you. Its just a fact that I used to calculate approx. value and the feasibility of taking it apart and putting it on a truck.

Of course I realize your post #9 was facetious or tongue in cheek, or whatever. Maybe you are serious, I can't tell. But I can tell you this. Anyone thinking ANYTHING about boats and tosses the number $28,000 around can't afford to buy a boat and transport it to Canada (EH?)

Finally, people who use profanity, even soft, common profanity such as "dumb A**) Irk me and cause me to feel they are not to be taken seriously.

Please don't ask for information and take exception when you get a reasonable answer.

pete

Ok Pete, let's get that discution civilized and mature. Seriously!

Now since you start talking about value and if a boat is worth doing so or so let's educate me.

What is a 81 Mainship 40 worth ?

By OK but not great what do you mean ?

I see you have a Albin, is this a better boat ?

How much should I pay for a good used diesel trawler ?

I don't need a high end full luxury boat, just something comfortable and convenient.

Now about me

I'm a retired diesel mechanic who has teached heavy mechanic for 23 years.
I do ALL my labour myself. Hydraulic, paint, upholstery, bodywork, electrical, woodwork etc.

I'm after a complete running and presentable project. By that I mean needing TLC.. Not a totally neglected garbage.

And I really think I found it in that Mainship 40. .

Last edited:
How to Measure Your Boat for Transport

• Overall Length is measured from the tip of the bow to the center of the stern. ...
  • Overall Height is measured from the bottom of the keel to the highest non-removable part of the boat.
  • Beam is measured from the widest point of the boat, including the rub-rail.
  • https://www.google.com

Ok Pete, let's get that discution civilized and mature. Seriously!

Now since you start talking about value and if a boat is worth doing so or so let's educate me.

What is a 81 Mainship 40 worth ?

By OK but not great what do you mean ?

I see you have a Albin, is this a better boat ?

How much should I pay for a good used diesel trawler ?

I don't need a high end full luxury boat, just something comfortable and convenient.

Now about me

I'm a retired diesel mechanic who has teached heavy mechanic for 23 years.
I do ALL my labour myself. Hydraulic, paint, upholstery, bodywork, electrical, woodwork etc.

I'm after a complete running and presentable project. By that I mean needing TLC.. Not a totally neglected garbage.

And I really think I found it in that Mainship 40. .

I do not know the heights you are looking for but I do like the Mainships - and especially the 40' Mty. I believe there were only about 20 of these produced and the one I was on had twin Perkins diesels. The intererior space is very large for a boat that size.
Good luck with your potential purchase

This is getting out of hand.
I too question if the boat is worth it however that was not the question.

The value to him is none of our business. He may rue his decision later.

I would have been contacting the trucking firms before making an offer.
THe truckers may not have been able at that point to quote but likely would have given a decent range of cost.

Godabitibi asked a question about the overall transport height with the bridge removed. If we can't answer that is one thing.

As it unfolds he appears to have done some research and we don't know what lead him to his decision.

The criticism has nothing to do with his question.

To me at least he deserves an answer or quiet, not a blast.

Ok I will clarify the cost so you guys have a picture of the deal and tell me if I'm doing a wrong move.

The boat is in a lake that is land locked in a place I don't want to stay. So it has to be transported.
They were asking $50k but now in NEED to sell and I get it for $13750.
Decomissionning, remove the upper helm and props and loading on trailer is $1700
I have clear and fresh high resolution pictures and the boat is up to my expectation.
I spoke to a man who was doing surveys and who know the boat and he gave me a good description of what it need.
My actual shipping quote is around 10k canadian.

That is WHY I gave the 28k number to Pete because this boat would be in that price range delivered at home.

The game changer could be the height for transport cost.

Last edited:
That's a hard reply !

There is always someone ready to hit you hard and treat you as a dumb ass on any forum.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Don't give Pete a hard time. You left your self wide open on that one.

Take the advertised water draft and add it to the measured air draft. That will get you close. :facepalm:

It may come out to about 21'

Last edited:
Ok I will clarify the cost so you guys have a picture of the deal and tell me if I'm doing a wrong move.

The boat is in a lake that is land locked in a place I don't want to stay. So it has to be transported.
They were asking $50k but now in NEED to sell and I get it for $13750.
Decomissionning, remove the upper helm and props and loading on trailer is $1700
I have clear and fresh high resolution pictures and the boat is up to my expectation.
I spoke to a man who was doing surveys and who know the boat and he gave me a good description of what it need.
My actual shipping quote is around 10k canadian.

That is WHY I gave the 28k number to Pete because this boat would be in that price range delivered at home.

The game changer could be the height for transport cost.

Sounds like a possible great deal .... ignore the noise check out post #15 for some ideas. If you can get someone at the Mainship owners club that knows this boat the answers might be easy for them.

Are you taking about Can$$ or US$$

Sounds like a possible great deal .... ignore the noise check out post #15 for some ideas. If you can get someone at the Mainship owners club that knows this boat the answers might be easy for them.

I did it,

Wow, a boat originally advertised for $50,000 purchased for under $15,000 is really quite the bargain. I truly wish you luck on the endeavor, if everything falls into place you will have a great deal on a nice boat.

How about giving us a few specifics on why the boat sold for such a reasonable amount.

pete (can we still be friends?)

Ha ha ! Shure but only if you promess not to be rude with ME ?

The gentleman to who I talked who is NOT the Boat owner but use to do survey told me the following.

Ex Florida boat, now in fresh water for the last 20 YEARS at the same marina.

Present owner has done a lot of work on it to keep it in good condition.
Last summer, new canvas.
All new (4) engine and trans controls upper and lower.
New fridge but inccorect type.
I can see a new electronic A/C and heating control
Freshly reupholstered dinette seats and couch.

No soft spots anywhere.

Perkins 6.354 turbo in good running condition.
One of the transmission has a fluid leak but work perfectly.

Generator has a REBUILT tag on it but was never put back to work. (not connected)
So possibly not good anymore.

Was used only once last summer and the owner going through divorce and NOW NEED to sell.

Gelcoat is flat from sun fading.

The man said this boat for a handyman like me could possibly be a profit maker, but this is NOT my goal.

Bottom will need repaint too.

This is it.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 24
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 27
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Sans titre 2.jpg
    Sans titre 2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Sans titre.jpg
    Sans titre.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 28
I'm not very familiar with the various Mainships, but I like that "jumbo" sedan layout. :)

Make sure that whoever takes it apart labels both sides of every wire and hose. Have them make a list with wire size and color. And take photos galore. Good luck.

Yes I had very good comments about the guy who is Going to do it. He was recommanded to me.

Everything on your "to do" list is minor with the exception of the genny (if it is bad) and of course the issue of the flybridge removal and shipping. Those two items will probably run you about twice what the original quote was, be prepared.

You also might need to look into getting across the border. You may need a Canadian trucker.

pete

My quotes are from Canadian shippers including all except loading and unloading fee at the marina. Less the import taxes. Which is 15% but I already calculated them. The quote for decommissionning, remove upper helm, ready for transport, pressure wash bottom and load on trailer is 1700 US. Written eetimate.

Back
Top Bottom