Greetings From Syracuse, NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vic

I'm an older (75) retired guy who hasn't been boating in decades. However, I have renewed interest and considering purchase of a trawler for travel on the Great Lakes and elsewhere. I would sell the house and live aboard but my Admiral says she won't part with the house. So I will start looking around and see what comes of this. Funny, as you age, interest in seeking more fun times gets more intense when considering one's expiration date.

Welcome aboard! I was born and raised in Ithaca, NY.
You should take a look at the Albin 27 in the Classified section - that'd be a perfect boat for the finger lakes in my opinion. Great way to get started without spending so much that you need to sell your house!

I took a peek. I like new or newer. Thank you for your thoughtful advice.

P.S. - I'll be on the Great Lakes, not the Finger Lakes.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard TF.
We are almost "next door" over on Seneca Lk but do travel Great Lakes, St Lawrence, Lk Champlain as well as the wonderful Canadian Canals.

Welcome to the site. My Admiral and I are Lake Ontario Summer live-aboards also.
We love it. I hope you and your Admiral will enjoy lake boating as much as we do :)

Welcome aboard !
We said goodbye to living in a house as well, now spend about 8 - 9 months a year on the boat and the other 3 months we travel around by camper and car to visit family and friends, plus go to the places you cannot get to by car.
At first the admiral was not really thrilled to spend so much time on the boat, but now she cannot wait to get back.
In other words, there is hope, but if anything, give her some decent space to work with. Men can perhaps live in small spaces, but don't overdo it with women. :)

Welcome aboard !
We said goodbye to living in a house as well, now spend about 8 - 9 months a year on the boat and the other 3 months we travel around by camper and car to visit family and friends, plus go to the places you cannot get to by car.
At first the admiral was not really thrilled to spend so much time on the boat, but now she cannot wait to get back.
In other words, there is hope, but if anything, give her some decent space to work with. Men can perhaps live in small spaces, but don't overdo it with women. :)
Thanks for your encouragement. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.

We previously lived in the Syracuse area and kept a boat up at Clayton. The thousand islands area is awesome for boating.

We previously lived in the Syracuse area and kept a boat up at Clayton. The thousand islands area is awesome for boating.
The Clayton area...now that's the North Country! I agree, the 1000 islands is gorgeous. I hope to see more of it.

Vic,

It really breaks down to what makes both of you happy. You want to keep the mate happy; I hope.

Do you have to sell the house to cruise? We own several Invesment properties so selling wasn't necessary for us.

We purchased our boat in '10 and cruised the Chesapeake on weekends and some week trips until '16 when we started the Great Loop. Our Loop took us 8yrs because we would cruise from May to Nov on the boat. put her to bed for the winter and go home, so keeping a home was important to us. As a segway we also have grandkids and wanted a home for Thanksgiving & Christmas type activities for the family. The local cruising gave us a chance to learn our boat and be better prepared for our cruising.

In the spring we'd go back to the boat, provision her and take off from there for the next season. Keeping this in mind you could also cruise this way in the areas that you want.

That said, if you are going to cruise primarily on Lake Michigan, which I call Lake WashingMachine, then a trawler might not be the right boat. I've had some experience on Lakes Ontario, Huron & Georgian Bay and WashingMachine. WashingMachine was the worst.

While you are trying to convince the mate get some schooling for your cruising. USCGA offers several classes and IF you join a flotilla the classes are free. They are always looking for volunteers for SAR crew and coxswains which would get you out on the water.

BTW, I'm now 77 and looking to do the Triangle Loop up to Ottawa. My motto, you are never to old to do what you want.

PM me with any questions.

Good luck.

Vic,

It really breaks down to what makes both of you happy. You want to keep the mate happy; I hope.

Do you have to sell the house to cruise? We own several Invesment properties so selling wasn't necessary for us.

We purchased our boat in '10 and cruised the Chesapeake on weekends and some week trips until '16 when we started the Great Loop. Our Loop took us 8yrs because we would cruise from May to Nov on the boat. put her to bed for the winter and go home, so keeping a home was important to us. As a segway we also have grandkids and wanted a home for Thanksgiving & Christmas type activities for the family. The local cruising gave us a chance to learn our boat and be better prepared for our cruising.

In the spring we'd go back to the boat, provision her and take off from there for the next season. Keeping this in mind you could also cruise this way in the areas that you want.

That said, if you are going to cruise primarily on Lake Michigan, which I call Lake WashingMachine, then a trawler might not be the right boat. I've had some experience on Lakes Ontario, Huron & Georgian Bay and WashingMachine. WashingMachine was the worst.

While you are trying to convince the mate get some schooling for your cruising. USCGA offers several classes and IF you join a flotilla the classes are free. They are always looking for volunteers for SAR crew and coxswains which would get you out on the water.

BTW, I'm now 77 and looking to do the Triangle Loop up to Ottawa. My motto, you are never to old to do what you want.

PM me with any questions.

Good luck.
Charles,

Yes, keeping a home makes sense.

The Great Loop looks like a quite an adventure. I don't think I could stick with for the entire 6,000 miles. The Triangle Loop would be more my speed. I was born in Ottawa and lived there for many years so I am familiar with the Rideau. I vaguely recall skating on it as a kid.

I would likely confine my cruising to Lakes Ontario and Erie with a trip some time up the St. Lawrence to Nova Scotia to visit relatives.

In any event, I am planning some training this summer before we make a purchase. I fully agree with your comment about age.

Thank you for your post. I will remember your offer re questions.

Vic

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom