GB 36 Hand pump under salon couch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coopersboat

Vessel Name
Grande Finale
Hi all,
I was cleaning out a locker in the salon and found this hand pump was wondering what it is there for. Any help would be appreciated.
Capt Scott
Looking for a photo now

Any description?
1000002280.jpg

Manual bilge pump. Standard GB, if you had a Stbd door it might have been in the step. Look in the ER bilge and you will see the pickup hose. Almost always inoperative & no parts available. Anything would be better and less tiring to use in an emergency.

Manual bilge pump. Standard GB, if you had a Stbd door it might have been in the step. Look in the ER bilge and you will see the pickup hose. Almost always inoperative & no parts available. Anything would be better and less tiring to use in an emergency.
Okay that's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Thanks a bunch. More questions to follow :)

Maybe remove this one and install an electrical bilge pump using the through hull that was hooked up to the useless manual pump.

If you look in your bilge, you may find that the manual pump intake is located in a smaller, deeper sump. This allows you to remove water that your electrical pump will not pump out. That is how it is installed in my GB 42. Useful in keeping a drier bilge. Also useful if your electric pumps fail for some reason.

I removed, disassembled, and repaired my pump two years ago. At that time, I was able to source parts. Unfortunately, I did not keep a record of where I bought them. Pumps similar to this one are still made. Start there after you take the pump apart and see what you need.

On previous GB's I was able to source parts and rebuild. On the current 32, it is a differemt size and I spent hours online trying to source parts to no avail. Depending on the location it may be easy or hard to replace with something else. In our case very difficult. I love GB's but they stuck to some out of date technologies WAY past their expiration date, ie holding plate refrigeration, etc. Good luck!
Regards,
Scott

If you look in your bilge, you may find that the manual pump intake is located in a smaller, deeper sump. This allows you to remove water that your electrical pump will not pump out. That is how it is installed in my GB 42. Useful in keeping a drier bilge. Also useful if your electric pumps fail for some reason.

I removed, disassembled, and repaired my pump two years ago. At that time, I was able to source parts. Unfortunately, I did not keep a record of where I bought them. Pumps similar to this one are still made. Start there after you take the pump apart and see what you need.
Do this. I have one under the starboard step out of the helm station, and it still works great, and does empty the bilge of water the electric pumps can't get to. Keeps the bilge dry. I like it, and I'm keeping it.

These pumps are available from Defender and are quite expensive. They are very useful in keeping your bilge dry below the level of where your electrical pump cannot reach. I replaced mine in my GB32 and love it. Seven pumps per gallon does it quickly and you know how much water is collecting from little leaks, your shaft packing, and condensation. I think they are a Jabsco product.

Back
Top Bottom