Galley up, or down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you have to look at your natural habits and cadence to life. We are both good cooks, and somewhat foodies. You'd think this would mean grand meals but it means just the opposite - we can toss together quick meals from bits and bobs scattered around the galley. A galley-down would be okay, but having a galley within the general traffic pattern is better for us.

The Willard 36 Sedan has what might be the largest cockpit aft-deck or any boat under 50-feet on the planet. When we were in San Francisco, we often had 15+ people aboard for 4th of July fireworks, etc. Galley-up served as bar and banquet space for noshies.

With a 7-kt cruising speed, we frequently cook underway. Especially on long runs in good weather, we find cooking breaks-up the monotony of the day. Having it close to the helm is great.

As mentioned in a previous post, I lived aboard a Uniflite 42 with galley down. It was fine, some wasted space in the inevitable corners of the U-shaped galley, but workable. My biggest negative observation is the banguette table that is located opposite. It's wasted space for us. Sure, it's good counter space, but we just didn't use it as a dining table. I used it as a sewing table from time to time, but that's it. Lot of space for a counter. Unlike salon tables, galley-down tables are not a great hang-out space. Great for meals, but not for cross-purpose entertaining, at least for our style.

To reiterate, question isn't who prefers galley-up/down/other, but why they prefer it. Then see if your personal habits match.

Peter

Weebles Aft Deck.jpg

Salon looking forward.jpg

Last edited:
There's been a few nice "mid galley" pic posted here and not a bad choice. I'm still "galley up" and have it in the action, and she likes it that way, too.

And, much less than 40ft a galley down gets awful tight, and using trays, hauling food around and the admiral stuck down there. Ugh!

And 95% of the time, it's just two of us on board, but perfect for four and have had six comfortably inside for snacks and drinks... and if someone needs something, it's right there. For a 40 boat, my Mainship interior is about perfect.

And the bottom pix is a diagram of my home... open like the admiral wants. No cubby hole.

Attachments

• Salon.jpg
    Salon.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Salon-back.jpg
    Salon-back.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 20
  • OpenRoom.jpg
    OpenRoom.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 20
We started our trawler shopping looking at the newer MS 40, 2004 to 2008. We ended up buying a MS 34 however only because with the galley up the only seating in the salon/galley was a 3 person sofa. The 34 with galley down had seating for at least 5 persons. The trade off I admit is the single state room. Dinette seating is good for dinners etc but not a longterm option for my older body.

The photo "loop" didn't include any inside pics, but the pic of the anchor windlass was interesting . . . I'm never seen anyone cleat off an anchor chain to a Samson post before!:whistling:

Hahahaha! I’d forgotten about that! When we bought her, we had to replace the selenoid for the winch, so that was addressed before we pulled her away from the dock. I can’t remember exactly why they had it wrapped up like that. Shaved a few bucks off the price and a pretty easy fix.

Always interesting what you find when you buy a boat, even with a survey. We’ve been on her for over 5 years now and have made lots of changes. I will see if I can figure out the picture thing.

If Captain is in down galley - can't see for S outside for precautions. In up galley can usually see much!

Up Up and Away!!

The photo "loop" didn't include any inside pics, but the pic of the anchor windlass was interesting . . . I'm never seen anyone cleat off an anchor chain to a Samson post before!:whistling:

oh my, that is a special technique...

Attachments

• 4857274_20141027080215478_1_XLARGE[1].jpg
    4857274_20141027080215478_1_XLARGE[1].jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 19
We have an Albin 40 with a galley down which we like. We are located close by in Midland, Ontario so if you ever want a look just PM me.

In our family all the cooks want to be close to the conversation while cooking. Their houses are all open concept between the kitchen and eating area. So our boats are always galley up. Happy cook happy family!
Also in our current boat if it was a galley down it would eliminate a berth - Grand Banks 46 Classic galley up.

Galley UP. Unless you have a hired hand to do the cooking and clean up. You or the Admiral will spend a lot of time prepping, cooking and cleaning up, it should be in a common area.
Upstairs.

pete

In boats 40 and under...I just don't see the separation anxiety.

In a house you are way farther away even with "open" arrangements.

I would bet most complaints about galley down are from people who have never had them.

Most cruisers I am with underway... only spend a few minutes in the galley in a days cruising.....mostly they cook at anchor....or if underway for multiple days....there's not socializing like at anchor...there's the watch and off watch so galley location is no big deal.

Heck on known long days....I prepare slow cooker recipes the night before and let it cook while cruising....ready to eat right after tie up, anchor drop, or even pre sunset for the all nighter and can stay warm for the off going watch.

Really though...up, down, sideways....it depends more on cruising and socializing schedule than in or out of the crowd while using the galley.

Last edited:
We have a Heritage East 36. We really like the galley down. I like having more living space in the salon. It's just down a few steps, so it's still easy for communication between the salon and the galley. I guess in part it depends on the size of the boat. Our sailboat, which we sold after we bought our trawler, was a Caliber 47, with an overall length of 52 feet. The living space was all on one level, but the galley was a separate area from the salon, which I really like. I did like that galley better - two people could fit in there when needed. The Heritage East 36 is strictly a one-butt galley. The 42 (44?) has the same basic layout but also has a dinette down next to the galley, which I like a lot, but it comes with two engines and my husband only wanted one. The other reason we really like our Heritage East is that it is fully accessible for our 78 lb. German shepherd - all molded steps, so she can go anywhere on the boat. A big selling point for us.

Best,
Kathy
M/V Calypso
Best of luck to you in your search and decision making.

We have a forward U shape galley 2 steps down with an opening porthole (portside) over the stove. We are very pleased it's down and out of sight, and our boat is small enough that the cook remains part of the conversation even during preparation. The feature that we do appreciate the most (and we hadn't taken it into consideration) is ours is a 'sedan' model and has a direct walk-out from the neat and clean salon to the afterdeck, and what is also appreciated is step-on step-off at dock level, which I admit is an age related advantage. So, if we do win 6/49, our next trawler would be a galley down Sedan model, and maybe a bit longer.

My 46' Cheoy Lee LRC had everything on one level. I loved it.

we have a trader 54 with a down galley (4 steps)
plus : a neat seating place large galley
neg : hard to transfer plates to up en down
would like a small elevator for that.

But we are as most stuck with the design layout of the boat, we have a large saloon, afterdech, bedroom, so we dont complain, you can change some parts but its not simpel.

I have transferd the front bedroom in a store room mainly for food (is like a small supermarket :) ) and the smalest bedroom/shower to a workplace/technical room
(for workplace : i work mostly on electronics )

so the boat fits us now perfect, the galley down is not perfect but ok

Best regards,
Patrick

Hmm, lots to think about. But I still think I like the extra added space in the saloon for entertaining.
Al.

We have an Albin 40 with a galley down which we like. We are located close by in Midland, Ontario so if you ever want a look just PM me.

Thank so very much. We may just take you up on this offer come spring.
We are slipped at the narrows in Orillia, and there's just not many trawlers in this area. There is a Tolleycraft 34 in our marina, but I only spoke with the owners briefly, so I haven't had a chance to hint to them that I'd like to take a look inside, :whistling:
Maybe they're on this forum? Lol
Al.

Having a microwave mounted knee high or lower is a waste of space for me. At 6'3" tall, I'd have to get on my knees to do anything with it.. Poor design for me.

In boats 40 and under...I just don't see the separation anxiety.

In a house you are way farther away even with "open" arrangements.

I would bet most complaints about galley down are from people who have never had them.

Most cruisers I am with underway... only spend a few minutes in the galley in a days cruising.....mostly they cook at anchor....or if underway for multiple days....there's not socializing like at anchor...there's the watch and off watch so galley location is no big deal.

Heck on known long days....I prepare slow cooker recipes the night before and let it cook while cruising....ready to eat right after tie up, anchor drop, or even pre sunset for the all nighter and can stay warm for the off going watch.

Really though...up, down, sideways....it depends more on cruising and socializing schedule than in or out of the crowd while using the galley.

Paul,

Just curious, which Albin model do you have? Looking on line seems like the aft cabin with the galley down is quite popular. However, I see a 40 North Sea Cutter with a really nice galley up layout.

I could live with either, but much prefer galley up with an "open" concept for many reasons, both in the house and boat. And, for cruising, don't suppose it would matter a whole lot, as we're on the flybridge 95% of the time. As a rule, I'd never leave the helm to prepare a meal, but would for coffee, snack and with the galley up, can monitor the helm (but my partner is still at the helm).

The big thing about galley down is steps to get there and the cook is just out of the conversation... even with two of us. Got tire of yelling down to her, "bring me a beer", instead of a whisper, "please turn around and fetch me a beer" and can get one a lot faster.

40 foot old style trunk cabin...and searched high and low for one as most models did not meet my 3rd liveaboard criterion.

Well, I just don't agree that you are out of the conversation.

This is my second liveaboard with galley down ( so 11 years) and I just ABSOLUTELY disagree that the cook is totally out of the picture. Sure some models...say the bigger Hatts, but not the vast majority of 39 to 42s I have been on.

Plus the amount of time most boaters I know spend in the galley when socializing or cruising does not make up for the room added to the salon. Loss of berthing space? Not on mine unless looking for morgue like bunk beds in a third stateroom.

You are really less than 10 feet away and one step to the side in direct line of sight...always if at the sink or chopping block.

Plus refrigerators can be iffy for size and location galley up.

Yes 3 steps...good for the heart.

I go down there from the lower helm all the time to grab stuff while underway....about the same amount of time many yahoos spend looking at their electronics or phones....so lookout stuff is BS.

Last edited:
Here is a view standing at my chopping block or one step left from the center of the galley.

About 8 feet to the couch near end 12 feet to the far end.

Again, not every galley down is the same, and not all ups are all that good either.

As posted many times, it depends on ones way of using it more than a certain feature or a "perceived" element.

Attachments

• KIMG0030.jpg
    KIMG0030.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Here is a view standing at my chopping block or one step left from the center of the galley.

About 8 feet to the couch near end 12 feet to the far end.

Again, not every galley down is the same, and not all ups are all that good either.

As posted many times, it depends on ones way of using it more than a certain feature or a "perceived" element.

Paul,

You have a nice boat and can see why you like it. I could probably live with that. Looked seriously at the 430 Mainship that has similar. 3 steps down, certainly not a killer difference.

Lifestyle is the determining factor

We went through the same debate. At home, we have a large open plan “great room” that combines living room, dining room, and open kitchen. We’ve noticed that when we have (had, pre-COVID) social functions at home, everybody clusters around the big kitchen counter island. It’s the natural heart of the home.

We bought a BL4588 that has galley up, counter facing salon, and it works the same way. Plenty of salon room, and everybody’s included.

I found that in typical 40ft-ish trawlers, that galley-up breaks up the saloon too much. When you try to cram a helm, galley, dinette and "living room" into a 12x14 space it's just too much.

I think galley up open plans work great once you reach 50ft or 65ft.

Funny thing is that although I always preferred open plans, nowadays I'm starting to appreciate a more separated "closed" plan instead. So is my wife, but we have spent the last decade in the Middle East where all kitchens are completely closed into a separate room.

Nice to keep the smells of cooking isolated and your living room big and luxurious :)

As the cook and party planner, a galley down would have left me out of the fun, down in my 'mole hole'. We chartered a GB for two weeks with galley down prior to buying our DeFever. Galley Down became a non-negotiable item. Absolutely NOT spending my fun times away from even watching the TV in the salon.

Depends on the boat....

Galley down

We love our galley down two steps. Many times people are watching a movie in the salon and do not want to hear pots and pans and prep, plus it creates another space for a separate group to get together. This week we had three other couples on a cruise. The men were watching football and the women gathered down in the galley and dinette, playing cards and tidying up from dinner. We like it, but like the Hatts (ours is identical to the Hatt 48) we are fine with a couple of steps to the aft cabin, a step to the VIP berth, three steps down into the salon from the rear deck. Maybe in our later years (we are 59), we might prefer one level. We live in an old Victorian home and are used to a lot of rooms...not open floor plans! The number one word heard in our house is: “what?”

Not much choice on a 30 ft boat, but I enjoy having a galley with a 360 degree view. When I am cruising solo in open water, I can prepare a meal and then tidy up while underway with autopilot. I can maintain a safe watch while in the saloon, whereas down below this would be impossible.

Not impossible...just need to be careful, vigilant, etc.....

As I said, some captains are more engrossed in other distractions other than the galley. Even in the galley if preparing food whether up or down one can be called a "distracted" lookout.

Back
Top Bottom