Fuel Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm definitely gun shy after after what has happened to these tanks and don't want a repeat. I plan to have the aluminum tested to confirm the correct thickness and spec was used. I also plan to have the gasket material tested. I suspect they used rubber which contains carbon and is cathodic to aluminum and will cause galvanic
corrosion.
As to the small amount of water in the bottom of tank, I feel like it had to come from condensation or from the fuel I purchased somewhere. My fuel fills are well protected by the side overhangs on the Europa , but i still plan to test the fill caps as well.
35 years of boating and never a problem with fuel until now. That's another reason I'm kinda baffled.

If feasible a drainable sump is at least a part solution to water and debris. You can drain it and the unwelcome sits below pickup level. Even if you could still get corrosion in the sump itself regular drainage would help.
Flush deck fills are an issue so check/change O ring seals regularly. You can wipe grease into the gap between screwcap and metal surround.

I'm definitely gun shy after after what has happened to these tanks and don't want a repeat. I plan to have the aluminum tested to confirm the correct thickness and spec was used. I also plan to have the gasket material tested. I suspect they used rubber which contains carbon and is cathodic to aluminum and will cause galvanic
corrosion.
As to the small amount of water in the bottom of tank, I feel like it had to come from condensation or from the fuel I purchased somewhere. My fuel fills are well protected by the side overhangs on the Europa , but i still plan to test the fill caps as well.
35 years of boating and never a problem with fuel until now. That's another reason I'm kinda baffled.

While carbon-bearing rubber can cause issues with aluminum, often on aluminum window frames, I've never seen that occur on an aluminum tank. Not saying it's impossible though. In order to set up a galvanic cell, you'd need water to be present as the electrolyte, so water at the bottom of the tank.

I'm definitely gun shy after after what has happened to these tanks and don't want a repeat. I plan to have the aluminum tested to confirm the correct thickness and spec was used. I also plan to have the gasket material tested. I suspect they used rubber which contains carbon and is cathodic to aluminum and will cause galvanic corrosion.

If you are going to get the aluminum for the new tank tested, I would test the old tank aluminum as well. It would be interesting to know if the old tanks were the correct alloy.

Later,
Dan

I've ordered two new tanks from Atlantic Coastal Welding(Speedy Tanks) in New Jersey. I'm picking the tanks up April's 7th and planning to swap out the tanks on April 12th. Planning to pull the engine and tanks out and go right back in with the new tanks and engine in a single day. Then spend a day or so hooking everything back up.
I put it all in the boat new 4 years ago, so I know how it goes in and how it comes out. I'll post a few pictures of the process. Still planning to to head to Canada in May.

Back
Top Bottom