fuel lines for CDH diesel heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
I purchased a 5/32" (4mm) ID rubber hose to connect from the fuel source to the dosing pump, and use as the short joining pieces from the pump to the heater. I just noticed its OD is 6.4mm, so the hose has a very thin wall.

In comparison, the espar 5mm fuel hose for connection from the source to the pump has an OD 11mm, so the wall is about 3 times thick. Their pressure side hose is also very thick: 3.5 ID x 9.5mm OD

Is the Yamakato thin hose good enough for the diesel heater? or should I consider buying the premium hose?

I think the important things for hose is that it be rated for whatever fluid it's carrying (in this case diesel), and be rated for whatever pressure is involved. There also is a marine rating for fuel hose which I think is USCG A1, and arguably it should meet that too.

If the hose supplied with the heater has a lot thicker wall than the hose you bought, I would be suspicious mostly of it's pressure rating, and also it's rating for diesel. Fuel hoses do tend to be a lot thicker wall for better pretection against external damage.

I think the important things for hose is that it be rated for whatever fluid it's carrying (in this case diesel), and be rated for whatever pressure is involved. There also is a marine rating for fuel hose which I think is USCG A1, and arguably it should meet that too.

If the hose supplied with the heater has a lot thicker wall than the hose you bought, I would be suspicious mostly of it's pressure rating, and also it's rating for diesel. Fuel hoses do tend to be a lot thicker wall for better pretection against external damage.
the Yamakato line is a "fuel line for small engines/generators" so i thought diesel heater fits into the category. It didn't say A1 standard so I bet it does not meet A1. It will be used inside the bilge, I don't expect any damage from physical abuse.

Back
Top Bottom