Florida salvage boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Propnut

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
41' PT Europa
I’m curious as where all the boats that were destroyed beyond repair by Ian will be dismantled. I’d love to purchase an L type flybridge seating base to replace my current back to back configuration.

I'd be interested in the responses as well. Can't wait to see what unfolds.

First you have to let the insurance adjusters get in there. That's a nice quick process :rofl:

I went searching the year the four hurricanes hit Florida, including Charlie and it took 2-3 months before the salvage auctions started to organize. Even then, you had to bid on the whole boat, not individual parts or accessories.

If the boats are deemed a CTL then two options normally exist. One is to demolish them and if you can get a demolition scrap contractor to remove parts then fine. But most don’t want the liability exposure of letting the public on site crawling around piles of wrecked boats. I’ve heard of a few who do remove fittings and equipped for resale but I wouldn’t know who or where. Otherwise the companies have a list of preferred buyers who are in the business of purchasing and repairing boats. They have their own trucks and trailers to pick up the boats and work with insurance companies and yards to clean up the mess. Speed and efficiency is paramount so most companies don’t want the general public picking through boats and slowing things down. On big losses like Ian the only boats I’ve recommended for sale is an owner offering to buy back his boat which is adjusted in the settlement.

I’m not familiar with salvage auctions or who runs them
Rick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom