Fire on my dock this morning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
CHiTON
Vessel Make
Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I got there about 9:30 and the fire was out. CG, Fire Marshall, salvage outfits came and went during the day.The fire was 5 boats away. Basically ruined the boats on both sides of it (the heat melted a RIB onto the swim step of the port side boat). The nearer boat is wood and was scorched with the windows popped out. Port Orchard marina on D dock.

In between me and the boat that burned is a live aboard. He told me that the fire started about 5 am and that he had pulled fire hoses in his underwear. When leaving, I found a melted fender next to my hull.

Attachments

• 100_2478.jpg
    100_2478.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_2481.jpg
    100_2481.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 118
Any thoughts about the cause?

Sounds like the entire population of boats was very very lucky.

Looks like a Ranger Tug, and one of the newer gas outboard versions. Boat+gasoline+spark = BOOM

Neighbor said it looked to be primarily gasoline burning. Flames went up to the metal roofing and then died back. Probably electrical of some sort. Nobody was sure when the owner was last on his boat.

I'm redoing a lot of my electrical right now and was already double-checking everything before I left for the evening. Time to triple-check.

Looks like a Ranger Tug, and one of the newer gas outboard versions. Boat+gasoline+spark = BOOM

Is it true these are made in china?

Is it true these are made in china?

No, they are made in Washington state. Could it be a Cutwater (cousin of Ranger)? There was a Cutwater that burned in our marina a couple years ago. The cause was electrical.

Has anyone heard of a cause yet on the Ranger Tug fire ?

The damaged boat that can be seen behind the Ranger (a Tiara 260?) has moved right beside me. I'll try to get an update next time I see him. The Ranger is now gone.

Back
Top Bottom