Favorite Nautical Movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about "Away All Boats"?
I remember it as a great book, but I don't think I've seen the movie. Anybody?

Have seen it a couple times.....

Away all Boats (1956) - The story of a U.S. Naval ship and its crew in the Pacific, from 1943 to 1945. The story of U.S.S. "Belinda", Attack Transport PA22, launched late 1943 with regular-Navy

Life of Pi was a good watch I remember.

Also Capt Phillips.

Can't resist the opportunity. "Operation Petticoat"

Oddly, Formula's website: 18-best nautical themed movies:

18 of the Best Nautical Boat Themed Movies | Formula Boats

"Jaws" probably doesn't come immediately to mind, but had some great boat-related scenes. Robert Shaw as the captain was masterful. His telling of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis is still a great watch:

Peter

This is my favorite scene in the movie, along with the banter back and forth with Dreyfuss which leads up to it. It doesn't fit with the campy 70's performance of the rest of the movie I think.

Hunt for Read October with Sean Connery

A movie called Dead Water is on Showtime now. No award winner candidate, but its nautical. A murder / action movie.

Don’t remember the name of it but we just recently saw the movie about that 16 year old Australian girl who became the youngest ever to circumnavigate the world. Very good movie.
It is called 'True Spirit', and is the story of 16 year old Jessica Watson's record for youngest female unassisted circumnavigation. I must watch it myself, it has been on my to-do list for some time. I believe it is very well done.
https://decider.com/2023/02/03/true-spirit-true-story-jessica-watson/

Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned "The Cruel Sea"..?

Last edited:
And for all you romantics...

Captain Blood (1935) starring Errol Flynn

From ChatGPT:

The Perfect Storm (2000) - based on a true story, this movie follows the crew of a fishing boat as they struggle to survive a massive storm in the Atlantic Ocean.

Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) - a swashbuckling adventure featuring Johnny Depp as the eccentric pirate Jack Sparrow.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) - set during the Napoleonic Wars, this movie follows the crew of a British warship as they pursue a French vessel around South America.

The Hunt for Red October (1990) - a Cold War thriller about a Soviet submarine captain who attempts to defect to the United States.

Jaws (1975) - a classic horror movie about a giant great white shark terrorizing a small New England town.

Titanic (1997) - a romantic drama about the ill-fated voyage of the Titanic, which sank after hitting an iceberg in 1912.

Dead Calm (1989) - a psychological thriller about a couple who encounter a dangerous sailor while sailing across the Pacific.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) - a quirky comedy-drama about a marine biologist and his crew as they search for a rare and elusive shark.

Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) - based on a true story, this movie follows the mutiny on the HMS Bounty in 1789.

Captain Phillips (2013) - a biographical drama about the 2009 hijacking of the cargo ship Maersk Alabama by Somali pirates.

The Abyss (1989) - a science fiction thriller about a team of divers who encounter mysterious creatures while exploring a deep sea oil rig.

All Is Lost (2013) - a survival drama about a sailor who becomes stranded in the Indian Ocean after his yacht is damaged.

Wind (1992) - a sports drama about a competitive sailor who trains for the America's Cup race.

White Squall (1996) - based on a true story, this movie follows the crew of a high school sailing ship as they encounter a deadly storm in the Caribbean.

Kon-Tiki (2012) - a historical drama about Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl's 1947 voyage across the Pacific on a balsa wood raft.

The Old Man and the Sea (1958) - based on the Ernest Hemingway novel, this movie tells the story of an aging fisherman's struggle to catch a giant marlin.

In the Heart of the Sea (2015) - a historical adventure based on the true events that inspired Herman Melville's "Moby Dick".

Dunkirk (2017) - a war drama about the evacuation of Allied soldiers from the beaches of Dunkirk during World War II.

Adrift (2018) - a romantic drama about a couple who become stranded in the Pacific Ocean after a hurricane.

The Mercy (2017) - a biographical drama about amateur sailor Donald Crowhurst's ill-fated attempt to compete in the 1968 Golden Globe Race.

And I will add my favourite: From Russia with Love

And least favourite: The Poseidon Adventure

Last edited:
The Caine Mutiny. Everyone has known a Capt. Queeg...you might even be married to one. Had strawberry ice-cream tonight.

The title role was "acted" by the USS Doyle, DMS 34, in which my late father served as Chief Fire Controlman in 1950-51.
Pop always said the Doyle was a poor destroyer and a dangerous minesweeper.

Maiden - A documentary about the first all-women team that competed in the 1989/90 Whitbread Round the World Race. Watched it with my 12-yr old daughter a few months ago. A very powerful film for this father and daughter!

K-19: The Widowmaker - Based on the true story of the maiden voyage of a Soviet nuclear submarine during the height of the Cold War. During sea trials it suffers a critical reactor failure. Harrison Ford, Liam Neeson, and Peter Sarsgaard star.

Fisherman's Friends - OK, not a whole lot of boating in this, but fishing off Cornwall on the SW coast of England is a foundational element. Good especially if you're a fan of sea shanties.

Captains Courageous! Starred Spencer Tracy. It was made in 1937 and was based on a book by Rudyard Kipling. The fishing and sailing scenes were amazing!

This one did not pop up in my head but I think it is my favorite. I don't think I have seen the movie more than once or twice and I have read the book but it is right at the top of the list.

Master and Commander is at the top of the list as is the Gregory Peck Hornblower movie. The Hornblower TV series on A&E, when A&E was about Arts and Entertainment, was a great series and deserved to make more episodes.

Someone finally mentioned Das Boot! :thumb::D

I got about half way through reading O'Brian's Aubrey/Mauturin series which made me read a book or two on the British Captains in the Napoleonic wars. O'Brian based many of characters and stories in his books on actual events. He would change names, places, and times, but many of these events he had in his books, actually happened.

Those men really were Iron Men in Wooden Ships.

Later,
Dan

Poseidon Adventure. I was enthralled with the suspense when it first came out. Watched it decades later and thought it was pure schlock. Anyway, it was great in its day...and there were a lot of famous actors/actresses in it.

Poseidon Adventure. I was enthralled with the suspense when it first came out. Watched it decades later and thought it was pure schlock. Anyway, it was great in its day...and there were a lot of famous actors/actresses in it.

I don't think I ever saw the Poseidon Adventure movie, at least from beginning to end. However, I know all about the movie because Mad Magazine did a spoof on the Poseidon Adventure. :rofl: For some reason, I read that issue over, and over and over, maybe because the boat turned over. :lol:

It was one of those movies back in that time frame, where they would load up the show with all of these actors/actresses in bit parts. I guess they did that to get people to see the movie because their favorite person was in the show, and/or the people needed the work and they were friends with the producers. :D

The other disaster films, like the Towering Inferno, did the same thing.

Later,
Dan

It was one of those movies back in that time frame, where they would load up the show with all of these actors/actresses in bit parts. I guess they did that to get people to see the movie because their favorite person was in the show, and/or the people needed the work and they were friends with the producers. :D

The other disaster films, like the Towering Inferno, did the same thing.

Later,
Dan
Totally agree!

Back
Top Bottom