Engine room fire suppression on 36 classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Sea Dog

Vessel Name
"OLD BAY"
Vessel Make
1979 Grand Banks #599
Trying to determine cubic feet of space in a 36 classics engine room. Next visit to the boat will be Aug 2 for a haul out on the 3rd. Anyone have a fire suppression system installed on a 36? Looking to install one. Estimate the engine room to be 12'×12'×4'. Am I close? Figured roughly 700 cubic feet.
West marine has a 750 system available for $1600 and change.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Trawler Forum mobile app

We have a FireBoy. Was in the boat when we bought it. Had it certified a few years back. Probably due again. So I “assume” it is adequately sized. I would recommend you at least get estimates from a few local companies. I am sure you have many in your area. Getting opinions from the internet doesn’t cut it.

Thanks. I will be going down to Marathon on Tuesday, so I will measure the engine room myself and calculate the cubic feet. I will then buy and install the appropriate sized unit. Was just wondering if I was close on measurements. Thanks

I have a halon system on both my 36 and 42 and found out from a fire fighter friend that it is next to useless in many circumstances if you don't immediately close vents when it fires. Basically, the Halon displaces the oxygen rich air and puts out the fire. If the heat source that created the fire is still active, as soon as enough of the halon escapes via the engine room vents and is replaced by oxygen rich air, BOOM, the fire will just light right up again. I have not done it yet, but plan to design some kind of spring loaded covers for the vents that will fire when the system goes off.

Trying to determine cubic feet of space in a 36 classics engine room. Next visit to the boat will be Aug 2 for a haul out on the 3rd. Anyone have a fire suppression system installed on a 36? Looking to install one. Estimate the engine room to be 12'×12'×4'. Am I close? Figured roughly 700 cubic feet.
West marine has a 750 system available for $1600 and change.

I had a FireBoy system installed in my GB 36. It gave me some confidence until I had it inspected and found it had been installed poorly enough that it would not have discharged if I had needed it. So the mechanism was reconfigured, and the manual pull should work. But the other problem was the ER in the GB 36 does not have much room to install a functional system. Mine is now hidden behind the only place where I could install a diesel hot air heater, so now blocking it's discharge path.

My advice, be very "hands on" about the installation to be sure it will actually function. The fresh air vents, which we depend on for the ER could really be a problem. That could be a difficult problem.

Fill your bilge with water and then measure the amount as the bilge pump empties it out.

pete

That is precisely how they do a BMI to calculate your weight, dunk you in a tank of water to see how much it displaces,so logic dictates that should work really well…..until it doesn’t!!!!

Back
Top Bottom