East coast to Ak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vandeusen

I'm just curious and hope this can lead into an interesting discussion, I have a 42 ft Grand Banks and currently in the Tennessee River system. Has any Looper ever took the trip whether it was north or south doesn't matter but ever took a trip that took them to Alaska?

I have all the time in the world and it would really be cool if I sailed to Alaska and looked at the icebergs like the sailboats do on YouTube and was wondering if that was actually a thing

Anyone who wants to indulge in this conversation feel free LOL in the same breath, I wouldn't mind taking a trip down to Nicaragua as well as Cuba and Puerto Rico. So am I out of my mind? Or are these things other people have thought or did and if so please share ...

Yes, absolutely. Some call it the "Big U" because it's "U" shaped route from New England down through Panama, and up to Alaska. With the GB42, range will probably be your biggest challenge, but with careful planning it's probably doable.

Don’t know about that particular trip but a 42 GB did run from Hawaii to the west coast. So it is likely possible to do the trip you are asking about, just a lot of prep.

I can get about a thousand miles to my tanks . Isn't the Panama Canal extremely back up right now?

I don’t think you have the range for the Northwest Passage, there’s nowhere to stop for fuel and supplies up there. Among other challenges.

Check out the sub forum “Voyagers and others on the go”. I think you will need more than 600 gal though.

how feasible is the northern route given that you have the fuel needed?

I have no particular knowledge other than living in Alaska and having been to the Arctic by land. But I would say it would require a well provisioned expedition class vessel with a well trained crew. I read that in 2021 only 5 boats made the passage, so there will be no other boats for hundreds if not thousands of miles. Help is far away. There are no towns to put in along the way. Weather could be extreme and ice is an issue even in the summer. For a recreational trawler, I would say it is dangerous at best and not at all feasible at worst.

I briefly considered the northwest passage east to west not too many years ago in a heavily built steel diesel duck. I agree with SeaDokAK an expedition class vessel and well trained crew is needed. Prepare to be totally self sufficient. Fuel, mechanical, provisions, medical, everything.

I looked for charts, not much to be found. Not much information on routing either, routes change constantly due to weather and shifting ice.

Then I spent some time on Google Earth imagining making the voyage. It's a long, very long distance between settlements. And those are very remote. I wouldn't expect to find much in the way of support when reaching a settlement.

For a more authoritative read An insider's guide to navigating the Northwest Passage

Quoting from that article
The biggest fallacy is that because the Northwest Passage lies in Canadian waters, sailors can find stores, fuel stations and other yachts to hail. There’s literally none of that. The passage may look simple on a map but ice alters the route on a weekly basis. Meanwhile, only 10 per cent of the Arctic has been charted to modern marine navigation standards.
I have no particular knowledge other than living in Alaska and having been to the Arctic by land. But I would say it would require a well provisioned expedition class vessel with a well trained crew. I read that in 2021 only 5 boats made the passage, so there will be no other boats for hundreds if not thousands of miles. Help is far away. There are no towns to put in along the way. Weather could be extreme and ice is an issue even in the summer. For a recreational trawler, I would say it is dangerous at best and not at all feasible at worst.

Van...Have you considered trucking the boat to Washington to begin your trip to AK? Not cheap but I'd guess less costly than the other alternatives mentioned.

Would it be feasible to truck a boat across southern Mexico - do they have the capabilities for such?

Once you get through the Panama Canal, the rest of the trip is "uphill", as in against the prevailing currents, winds, and swells. Doable, but I'd want more fuel than a GB42 normally carries for parts of the trip.
Honestly, if you really want to see Alaska, and are ambivalent about much of the rest of the trip, I'd seriously look into purchasing another boat in the PNW, going to Alaska once or twice, and selling the boat.
We're doing the opposite of your idea, currently in Sea of Cortez. We started in PNW, did our shakedown cruise to Glacier Bay, Alaska and back to PNW, left PNW first part of September, plan on heading down to Panama late Spring/early summer of 2024, then to Florida by the end of 2024, early 2025.

Sounds like a great adventure!

You might want to check out the Panama Posse organization. They've already done a bunch of the logistical legwork for you.

As for shipping across Mexico, contact Cabrales Boatyard in Puerto Penasco. It's not uncommon for people to truck their boats from there back to Ensenada or SoCal to avoid the Baja Bash. Presumably you could have your boat shipped from Texas to their boatyard if you wanted to check out Mexico.

Once you get through the Panama Canal, the rest of the trip is "uphill", as in against the prevailing currents, winds, and swells. Doable, but I'd want more fuel than a GB42 normally carries for parts of the trip.
Honestly, if you really want to see Alaska, and are ambivalent about much of the rest of the trip, I'd seriously look into purchasing another boat in the PNW, going to Alaska once or twice, and selling the boat.
We're doing the opposite of your idea, currently in Sea of Cortez. We started in PNW, did our shakedown cruise to Glacier Bay, Alaska and back to PNW, left PNW first part of September, plan on heading down to Panama late Spring/early summer of 2024, then to Florida by the end of 2024, early 2025.
You beat me to the suggestion of purchasing a boat Puget sound or Canada and doing the trip to Alaska. Sell when done.

Or charter a boat.
Going thru the pananma canal is probably a worthwhile trip. Beating uphill on the west coast without ever going downhill will cure most people from boating. IMHO

The folks on Bumfuzzle.com, inveterate adventurers, spent 4-5 years going all over the Caribbean Sea on their early 80s GB42. I don't think fuel would be a deal killer.

As Slowgoesit says, it's a bit more difficult heading up the Pacific which is over 5000 nms to Alaska.

I've heard rumor there is an intermodal train service from Veracruz MX (Caribbean) to Salina Cruz MX (Pacific side, Teuhentepec) that has recently started as an alternative to the Panama canal. Would be an interesting option but bypasses a lot of bucket-list places.

Peter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231119_061054_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231119_061054_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 43
Didn't Dauntless do this basic trip down the east coast, through the ditch and up the coast?

East to west trip

YES, Richard did this exact trip.

His boat is a Kadey-Krogen 42 - single engine, Full displacement & ballasted Trawler design. Key item is it was a full-displacement boat designed to do this exact type of trip. Not a GB-42.

Takes a lot of time to do this trip & very expensive fuel wise for a 42 GB.

Capt's. John & Pat Rains put out a book that gives you a full run down on that trip down to & back up from the Panama Canal. I suggest you get it & read it cover to cover.

That GB-42 boat, which is a good coastal boat for use in good weather, would require careful considerations & preparation to take on this trip in a semi-displacement non ballasted boat like a Grand Banks 42. They are not ocean crossing design & do not have a lot of freeboard at their bow. Twin engine means more fuel consumption, etc. You could do it, not saying you can't, but would require lots of prep for that trip & requires good timing.

BTW - the KK-42 Richard had also crossed the Atlantic over to Europe & back. Not a trip I would take in a Grand Banks 42. :eek:

You can put your GB on a freighter & have it taken from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver, Canada. Then do the rest on her own bottom. Or truck her across the USA & splash her in Seattle. Both good options.

Good luck.

GB42 would be fine on this trip. Need to be a bit more mindful of weather, but with Starlink with access to Windy and PredictWind with rarely more than two nights at sea, I just don't see the problem. Fuel would be mariginally more expensive than the KK42. Rounding error in the total cost of the trip.

I don't remember exactly but seem to recall Nordic Tugs did some sort of trip like this with a fleet of 32s, 37s, and 42s.

Peter

Not trawling here but I think he meant going north or south from Alaska not north as in the NW passage. I know of only one yacht (ship) that made most of the NW Passage and she was a 300 footer. That would work for me. Ha

Having done the trip (the other way) from PNW south through the canal then up through the Gulf to the east coast, if we were going to reverse the course and return to the PNW, we would definitely ship the boat back via freighter. Less cost, less wear and tear on the boat and a lot less time. Things I learned on our trip.

1) It took us twice as long as we thought it would. Our trip took over 2 years.
2) Be prepared to spend up to 4 times what you pay now for insurance once you leave the US waters. As well as insurance companies dictating where and when you travel in many areas.
3) Be willing to sit it out in a safe harbor for weather, because you will.
4) Become familiar with weather patterns in many areas. This trip will require you to only travel many areas at certain times.
5) Plan in advance to park your boat for several months in certain areas and the repercussions of staying at these locations. Panama is a big one during there rainy season.
6) Internet access was less than desired in many areas and virtually impossible in more than we thought. Take an extra phone that you can by local SIM cards for.
7) Be prepared to sit in port for long periods to get parts shipped in. And be prepared for duties and taxes that can be stupidly high.
8) Hope your traveling partner is capable and willing to make the trip. I was lucky that my wife was as enthusiastic as I was.

Our boat was a Selene 47 with no stabilizer’s and could travel approximately 2500 NM between fill up’s. Your gonna struggle with fuel consumption in a few areas, but could be done with proper planning.

Best of luck.

East Coast to Alaska

One thought would be chartering in Alaska before taking your own boat there, to get a sense of what it would be like. You could check out M/V Ursa Major, a beautiful Malahide trawler that has operated in Southeast Alaska for many years. She is a 65' "woodie", and if you like classic boats you will probably love her.
I am not sure whether they go further north than Seward, but you can check. Even if they don't, you should be able to see and get close to a lot of glaciers between Juneau and Seward.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Peter

I'm
I have all the time in the world and it would really be cool if I sailed to Alaska and looked at the icebergs like the sailboats do on YouTube and was wondering if that was actually a thing

There are lots of icebergs closer to home around Newfoundland and Labrador. Maybe a summer cruise in that area would be easier than the big U and equally satisfying?

Getting ready to go

Hi All,

We are prepping for the east coast to PNW trip now. I figure that it will take a couple of years and similar money to that required to ship the boat. We like to make lines on maps versus dots. As we prep, I wonder what you all think is required? How would you prepare?

We have a 2001 Kadey-Krogen North Sea with an all mechanical JD, 1000 gallons of fuel, stabilizers, flopper stoppers and a water maker. We speak Spanish. We have ridden our motorcycles 16,000 miles in MX and love the country and people

Prep wise: Two inverter/chargers, JD spares, generator spares, redundant fresh water pumps, redundant chart plotters x 3, one RADAR(!), three anchors, Predict Wind hub and account, Starlink plus cellular router, crash pump, spare prop with prop smith, 13' ALX AB dinghy with a 40 HP Yamaha with spares, a VHF and chartplotter. There is more but interested in what you wouldn't leave without.

First leg from VA to the Rio Dulce with stops in Isla Mujeres, Progresso and Beliz starting in January 2024. Insurance an issue. We have some ideas but any recommendations out there? Let us know what you think. Jim

.............There is more but interested in what you wouldn't leave without.....

Well, I left with a helluva lot less than you have already so I'm no help. We over-provisioned so don't go crazy with the chest freezer (I assume you have at least one).

One item that has proved handy is a Wise debit card (ex TransferWise). It's essential a prepaid debit card that you can use in any currency. We use it to preserve cash (pesos in MX). They give attractive market rates with a very small transaction fee. Bank transfers to replenish are very quick - within a couple hours or so, so we can keep a low balance in case of loss/theft. Related, I use Charles Schwab for a US debit card as they refund ATM fees and their exchange rates are very near market spot rates.

We too have a decent dinghy (AB 310 AL with 20hp Tohatsu). I worry about theft and it getting banged up at community dinghy docks and it's heavy to beach. I have an older 3.3hp Merc 2-stroke that I think might pair nicely with a smaller Takacat that would be easy to inflate and launch; and less of a theft target. Plus easy to haul up a beach.

Hope you share your trek. I'll be interested in your route south from Rio Dulce and through the Bay Islands. Nicaragua and Honduras have sketchy reputationals but perhaps they've cleaned up.

Peter

Two members of my yacht club have shipped three new to them boats from the East Coast. One member is a repeat offender. Another had his moved from Ensenada to Nanimo, BC. All used the purpose built ship and every trip was successful. My understanding is owners and crew can stay aboard their boats during the voyage.
I know others who have brought boats around on their own bottom and every one of them got hung up in some nasty water where about all they could do was gut it out for a couple of days. A long way back, but couldn’t power through it. When they each ran the numbers, the cost was a wash with a significant advantage going to shipping because of the avoided wear and tear.
That said, I’m in the buy a boat here camp. Plan to spend a spring and summer cruising from Olympia to the Broughtans and back while making the boat yours. Then head north with a group you will no doubt meet (Bremerton YC has a group that goes up nearly every year) because this is definitely a trip you don’t want to do solo.

There are lots of icebergs closer to home around Newfoundland and Labrador. Maybe a summer cruise in that area would be easier than the big U and equally satisfying?

I'm with Jeff. If you want wonderful scenery and lots of icebergs, you can find them in Labrador, Greenland, and Iceland, all of which are a lot closer than Alaska. Your 1,000 mile range will be completely OK.

Let me suggest "CCA Essential Passage Guide to the Viking Route: Includes Faroes, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland & Labrador", available from Amazon and others. Full disclosure -- I was an editor and fact checker for it.

Jim

That said, I’m in the buy a boat here camp. Plan to spend a spring and summer cruising from Olympia to the Broughtans and back while making the boat yours. Then head north with a group you will no doubt meet (Bremerton YC has a group that goes up nearly every year) because this is definitely a trip you don’t want to do solo.

We bought our boat in PNW, moved on in September of 2021, and departed for Glacier Bay in May of 2022. We went solo. Not sure why you need to go in a group? Then left PNW Sep 2, 2023 headed South. Currently anchored off of Isle Partida in Sea of Cortez. Oh, and we went solo on this trip as well. No major issues yet, what are we doing wrong?!?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom