Do you save your old log books on boats you sold yes no & why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nocanvas

Vessel Name
Navigator
Vessel Make
Mariner/Helmsman 38
Do you save your old log books on boats you have sold ,yes no & why ?

We keep everything, invoices for everything we buy, logs etc etc.
If the time comes we want to sell the boat we can show any potential buyer that we have nothing to hide and we can give them tips of where to go, where not to go, speeds we run at, power settings etc.

When I bought the boat there was basically no history, however there was a shoe box with invoices for equipment. Nothing on maintenance, who installed it, when it was installed etc
There is another reason here in the Med and don't know if that applies in the US. If we would end up in trouble on the water, let's say engines stop working or something else that requires us to be towed in, the Coast Guard will seize the boat. Then you have to make repairs and they will inspect the boat, certify it is seaworthy again.
However, they will ask for all maintenance records and if you paid a company to work on the engines, while the CG determines that was the cause of the problem...........they will go after that company and that company will be forced to pay you back as well as get inspected by the CG.
So, here it pays to keep everything, to not throw anything away.

Some people keep separate logs such as Ships log(official type things), captain's log(more personal type things(nowadays often a blog) and maintenance log.

If you don't separate them, I would keep the log but I would have a separate maintenance binder with records, manuals and receipts.

Yes. I even copy and save log books from boats I have delivered or chartered, for the sake of recalling local knowledge and experiences particular to certain boats.

I remember when I sold one important boat to me, that I left the ship's log with it when I sold. I really regret that. Maintenance logs are different, but your history and adventures are personal.

Every so often I scan the latest log book pages to pdf. There are smart phone apps for that. You can have a copy and give the original to a new owner. It costs almost nothing to keep these scanned copies forever. And having them handy wherever you are is helpful, too.

I kept my 29 years of hand written logs when I sold the trawler. Gave him a copy of the electronic maintenance logs and LOTS else. Why keep the old hand written logs? New guy would likely have no use for them, and I would not have them to consult if I ever so wanted.

Much like rgano,

I kept the handwritten log, and all the Word and Excel stuff, but gave copies of all the electronic stuff, and all the maintenance invoices, to the buyer.

Journals, maintenance history etc have been interesting to go back to, and sometimes very useful. I'd consult the logs to see where we went and when, how many days it took to get there, etc.

Definately keep the log book. I'm lucky in that my wife has a habit of keeping "log books" of various trips by land, sea, and air. Now, having 30 years of logs, she often takes a few on road trips and reads them out loud. More entertaining than anything on the radio. Nice to look back to when diesel was 68 cents a gallon. Also nice to have now that my memory is, you know, what was I saying?

I have two logs: maintenance log, which stays with the boat, and captain's log, which stays with me.

Besides general notes, the captain's log has all sorts of information for future reference, such as the pros and cons of various mooring locations (even down to specific slips to request at marinas), distances and observed course-made-good times, battery/power consumption observations, observed cell strength in various anchorages, etc.

I pass them on to the new owner. Most have useful info for the new guy.

Log books mentioning trips, points of interest, friends on board, nice restaurants etc. are more like diaries, keep them.

Maintenance logs go with the boat.

pete

I have two logs: maintenance log, which stays with the boat, and captain's log, which stays with me.

Besides general notes, the captain's log has all sorts of information for future reference, such as the pros and cons of various mooring locations (even down to specific slips to request at marinas), distances and observed course-made-good times, battery/power consumption observations, observed cell strength in various anchorages, etc.

I've done the same. Maint log is largely electronic aside from receipts for yearly & large replacement items. I offer anything/ everything maint related to buyer including e copy of that stuff.
Ships log is primarily trip related dates, times, distance, travel related notes I keep and refer to for future planning.

For anyone interested in electronic ships log for cruising...

If you are interested I've started using a free electronic boat log app for some extended cruises. It is BlueBoatLog.com and operates on PCs, and both iOS and Android.
You can have it track/ display your daily course and then add your notes & photos each day.
What I liked was the ability to provide a one website link that I could provide to friends & relatives that wanted to check in on our whereabouts periodically.

A real example can be viewed on our Bacchus website... Cruising Notes section.... 2019 Georgian Bay cruise

I keep several log books. One strictly for the boat maintenance, One for the equipment installed. Then mtce logs should be passed on.

My wife keeps our personal notes that are our travel reminders. These we keep as they are no one elses business.

My boat came with the log book from the first owner. He and a couple of buddies took the boat from San Diego to Alaska and back. I found it very interesting reading. Subsequent owners did not leave log books. I plan to leave everything when I sell this boat. I’ll most likely be out of boating at that point and see no reason to take them with me.
I have also been assembling a “manual” for all of the systems on the boat. Yes there are the manufacturers manusls that are in a binder in a drawer, but location and idiosyncrasies could prove helpful for the next owner. I love my boat enough that I want the next owner to have the best shot at keeping it going. Lots of things are hidden on a 55’ boat

I keep two logs, one for maintenance and one for personal. The maintenance log stays onboard and goes with the boat. The personal log comes with me. One of the most important reasons for keeping personal logs is that they contain my sea time hours which I document for my captains license renewals. Sea time on my own boat is in the log as well as any sea time on deliveries or instruction.

Maintenace logs should be kept with the boat from day one, and owner to owner.

Back
Top Bottom