Cruising Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bud

Vessel Name
Izzy Rose
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 49
We are planning our year long cruise in the Bahamas. What have people used to publish or document their trips? The main reason is to allow family and freinds to see where we are and make plans to join us for certain legs of our journey. I realize we will probably have to manually update our position.
Thanks,
Bud

Hi, we set up a blog on WordPress. pretty easy and there are ways you can auto-post your current location through third party apps, like Predict Wind and others. Our Bahamas blog is mvprivateer.com

Hi, we set up a blog on WordPress. pretty easy and there are ways you can auto-post your current location through third party apps, like Predict Wind and others. Our Bahamas blog is mvprivateer.com
Thats perfect! It is alot of work setting it up? I did find an app called Track my Tour that looks easy. I would be interested in what you think of it.
thanks,
Bud

I have only average computer skills and did fine. Start w WordPress and it will guide you. WordPress provides the blog environment and Bluehost provides the URL. (among others). Keep it simple to start. The more plug-ins and widgets you engage, the higher the likelihood of crashes or s/w issues. Lots of online help sites for WordPress users. Easy to upgrade and enhance your site as you learn.
Although we aren't using the Predict Wind plug in for live location updates just now, (requires the upgraded Predict Wind account) it worked well. There are other location services you can use and I expect other Forum folks will chime in. These apps use either your AIS transmissions, satellite text servers or your PLB (or whatever). They will guide you on how to hyperlink a "Our Current Location" text on your home page for a map of your travels. Our boat name is Privateer so mvprivateer.com was an easy URL to select.

Does it auto email or text updates to your freinds and family or can you do that manuelly in a group email? Group texting is annoying, but individual text messages with updates is good.
Thanks,
Bud

We use BAGUS on NOFOREIGNLAND.COM for tracking progress, posting photos/videos, etc. Really easy to use and can add links to other blogs, social media if you want to post more verbose content.

Nice, I can zoom out and see yor whole trip. Click on your pins and see the photos for that area. Do you send people links occasionally or maybe when you add a pic.
Thanks,
Bud

I believe family and friends which create an account and follow your boat get notifications when new content is added.

Got it. What was your favorite key in the Bahamas?
thanks.
Bud

Got it. What was your favorite key in the Bahamas?
thanks.
Bud
Each Cay has its own charm so difficult to choose just one favorite. Anywhere in the Exumas is nice but enjoyed our time at Hog Cay in the Ragged Islands which was a first visit for us. Not as crowded as Exumas so a little quieter.

Roger that, I wish the chart on your trip tracker had more detail, like the names of the smaller islands.
Thanks,
Bud

Roger that, I wish the chart on your trip tracker had more detail, like the names of the smaller islands.
Thanks,
Bud
Not sure what the developer is using for their underlying mapping but sufficient detail to compare to the Explorer charts to find anything you need.

Our family and friends track us on our Garmin inReach. It provides a direct link to our position rather than posting our location manually each day. There are too many wonderful cays to pick a favorite.

Back
Top Bottom