Cat 3208T v8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MV Justace

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
M V Justace
Vessel Make
Lyscrest 42 Aft Cabin
Both engines having sat for two months will not start. New batteries this week. New filters all round and bleed the injectors on one engine ( have fuel there)
Engines wind over ok so can now only assume we have a fuel shut off problem ( but both engines at the same time?)
Solenoid active click on key turn. Have noted the shut off limiter lever under solenoid is sticking down and after being freed and solenoid reset still no go!
Suggestions please before we start pulling things apart!
Have noted on utube these 3208 engines do have this problem in trucks etc. help!!
Robin

You have not mentioned the kill switch. I would look to see if the kill switch is stuck on. I am assuming you have dual stations, check both.

Really need better info on the issue. Did you turn them off two months ago and just now returned to boat to find a no start or did they no start two months ago?

Any fuel shutoff valves happen to get closed?

l've kicked off a fuel seacock while roaming thru the engine room before. Check the easy things first!

While cranking the motor spay some starting fluid down the intake. If it tries to sputter you have a fuel problem.

You have not mentioned the kill switch. I would look to see if the kill switch is stuck on. I am assuming you have dual stations, check both.

Really need better info on the issue. Did you turn them off two months ago and just now returned to boat to find a no start or did they no start two months ago?
Thanks for your reply Tiltrider1.
I don't have a kill switch (that I'm aware of) on either Flybridge nor main helm. we just turn the key and push start button, turn key off to stop. I've had this boat (which we are full time Liveaboards) for over 8 years now and have never had this problem. Usually I start the engines including generator once a month when on the marina, but got off track so left it for over 6 weeks, so this is a whole new problem of which I would accept one engine maybe not starting, but TWO!
I always select which tank we are going to use prior to start up so I know I have fuel coming in, so that's not the problem. Even with fresh new batteries both engine spin well but no sign of start. Very frustrating to say the least!
A Mechanic over the phone suggested I unbolt the fuel shut off solenoid and start the engine and use a screwdriver to push down the limiter armature to stop, if it does starts. I have seen that done on Utube but yet to try that trick.

If you've got dual stations check to make sure the shift levers are in neutral at both stations. It happened to me before and the motors would not start.

Cheers, Bill

Based off of what you have said. The fuel cut off solenoid is wired into your ignition switches. Sounds like you have an electrical issue that is not allowing fuel to the engine. Before you start tearing engines apart I would be looking at the ignition wiring.

To prove this a quick shot of starter fluid while cranking the engines will cause them to momentarily start.

Thanks for your reply Tiltrider1.
I don't have a kill switch (that I'm aware of) on either Flybridge nor main helm. we just turn the key and push start button, turn key off to stop. I've had this boat (which we are full time Liveaboards) for over 8 years now and have never had this problem. Usually I start the engines including generator once a month when on the marina, but got off track so left it for over 6 weeks, so this is a whole new problem of which I would accept one engine maybe not starting, but TWO!
I always select which tank we are going to use prior to start up so I know I have fuel coming in, so that's not the problem. Even with fresh new batteries both engine spin well but no sign of start. Very frustrating to say the least!
A Mechanic over the phone suggested I unbolt the fuel shut off solenoid and start the engine and use a screwdriver to push down the limiter armature to stop, if it does starts. I have seen that done on Utube but yet to try that trick.
The remove the fuel solenoid troubleshooting is the same advice I got when I had 3208Ts.

You could buy a spare solenoid and use it to test, or just use the screwdriver shutdown method you described.

If you've got dual stations check to make sure the shift levers are in neutral at both stations. It happened to me before and the motors would not start.

Cheers, Bill
Thanks Bill. Yes I’ve been stung by this in past so not again. Both engines turn over ok so it nearly has to be the fuel shut off lever under the solenoid. Cheers Robin

Further to my problem above I forgot to mention that there is diesel under the solenoid covering the limiter (that is sticking down). To all you good Cat mechanics out there should this be so? Could this be a main cause of a no start and and causing the limiter to stay shut? I believed that it should be dry!

Back
Top Bottom