Cat 3208 oil filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just like the movie, I stick with Old Yeller. I buy them for less than that from Caterpillar.

Neither Cat nor Napa make oil filters but Baldwin and Wix do. So what are you really using?

I have never seen a 3208 die because it had a non Cat filter on it. Buy what ever makes you feel good. Just be sure to change your filters every 250 hours.

"AFSI is a state-of-the-art liquid filtration program specializing in lube, fuel, and hydraulic applications used in Caterpillar machinery worldwide."

Source https://www.afsifilters.com/about/profile
Neither Cat nor Napa make oil filters but Baldwin and Wix do. So what are you really using?

I have never seen a 3208 die because it had a non Cat filter on it. Buy what ever makes you feel good. Just be sure to change your filters every 250 hours.

ON some engines the oil filter simply screws into the block.

The engine mfg. may have selected a very short filter so the engine profile is smaller to help sales.

If there is plenty of room the Fram or similar catalog will locate an identical filter which is simply longer..
On Volvo the factory filter was 2 inches or so, a PH 6 , the std Ford filter was full sized had same internal specks. and cost about 2/3 less .

It also held about 1/2 a quart more lube oil and had far more filter area.

Just got notified my Walker Airsep intake filters are on their way!!

Not exactly an accurate statement. (I work for CAT). We have a building full of Engineers designing and testing our filters. (Building H at Mossville, IL) Yes...CAT doesn't have a facility to manufacture filters but they are made to OUR specifications. A Fram/NAPA filter is not a CAT filter nor are they made to CAT specs...they can't due to our IP.

Carry on,

Sidney

Correct...but they cannot sell or manufacture a CAT filter to any manufacturer other than CAT. Our IP, our part.

Carry on,

Sidney
Understood. My point in responding to tiltrider's post is that though CAT does not manufacture their filters CAT filters are not NAPA or Wix. I use CAT filters on my CATs for the reasons you gave.

3208na filters

I use 2- either wix 51268 or Baldwin BT230

This is what I know. A Baldwin Rep showed me two filters. One a Baldwin B75 the other a Cat 1R-0714. Both were cut in half. Both looked identical. The Baldwin Rep then explained that both came out of the same factory in Nebraska. That both were made identical except for the paint on the out side.

I have also never seen a Cat engine failure attributed to using a non Cat Oil Filter.

Now I've never been to this factory in Nebraska nor have I ever worked for CAT so I can't say I'm an authority on this. However no one has ever been able to show any proof that a B75 is not equal to a 1R-0714.

What I can tell you is that the Baldwin Filter is not a CAT filter no matter what that Rep thinks. Baldwin does not nor can not use CAT 1Especs to design and manufacture their filter. They may be both very good filters but they are not identical. I have access to the print, the Engineering Change Notices, and the 1Especs and I can assure you the CAT 1R-0714 EC 07 is not an off the shelf Baldwin Filter.

Sidney

Got my Walker Airsep filters today! 20210419_132808.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom