Cap Horn 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Judy I heard a rumor that one actually survived a complete roll over and self righted. Is that true?

That was the CH in Phuket. It's not like a hurricane where you get advance warning. The owner was having breakfast when the waves came in and the boat was knocked over (not a complete rollover but salon windows were under water). We laughed about the damage: coffee stains on his ultra suede headliner. Seriously, he did have significant paint damage from the debris of the other destroyed boats, docks, etc. He was the only boat still floating in the entire harbor.

I was on a haulout survey on a CH 52 at Seaview Boatyard in Bellingham when the lift strap broke (insufficient # of straps and strap was worn). The boat was dropped 17 feet, hit the water, rolled to starboard with the salon windows underwater, then righted, lunged forward and hit the concrete seawall. People 2 docks over got wet from the splash. Seaview had insisted owner be aboard for lifting. Owner and yard worker taken to ER by ambulance and admitted. The damage to the CH were: bent anchor and pulpit, dinghy chocks broke, dinghy crashed into and bent the ss rails on aft upper deck, safety catch on refrigerator broke and dishes with food fell out and broke, there was a crack in the starboard material on one wall in the laundry room, and the oriental rug in the salon got wet because the aft door was open.

Those are the only 2 "rollovers." And 2 of my many CH survival stories.

This is for Judy. What Make and model trawler is comparable to the cape Horn in your opinon?

Mako -- without checking records, I can't tell you about the electronic engines, but I hear you (I tend to be a bit EMP paranoid). But there are other factors inherent in a crossing. For example, CHs have fuel filtration to <1 micron. And not to mention the possibility of hitting submerged containers.

I vaguely recall a Cape Horn 55 getting towed into Hawaii by the coast guard last year because of fuel problems. What happened?

I vaguely recall a Cape Horn 55 getting towed into Hawaii by the coast guard last year because of fuel problems. What happened?

Fueling can be a slow process when taking on +/- 4,000 gallons. It seems to have been operator error.

This is for Judy. What Make and model trawler is comparable to the cape Horn in your opinon?

That's such a tough one. Firstly, any comparable to a CH would have to be made from steel (aluminum as a 2nd choice) in terms of offering the safety and durability of a CH.

If there was a builder in North America that could come close to building a CH, I would be all over it. Not only is there a shortage of American builders, but even more of a shortage when it comes to building steel yachts.

The country that carries bragging rights on their steel yachts is Holland. I have sold, attended survey, and admired many Dutch yachts. For a general list of quality Dutch builds: Vripack, Jongert, Kuipers, Doggersbank, Moonen, de Alms, Aquanaut...

There have been good builds from other countries, but not with any consistency. For example, I have seen Diesel Ducks and Seahorse trawlers that we're outstanding. Yet, I have seen a fair share of abominations. Ditto with Bruce Roberts. So much depends on the yard that is doing the building and the owners' budget, knowledge, and experience to determine the eventual outcome.

We had one Doggerbank and one De Alm, I will not be so catégorie that you concerning the nevel of qualité of building...
Example few centimet of faire g o the de k of the De Alm du at à poor steel work or the teck deck who go away after 7 year ...why ? Just à small zig zag line of sikaflex where à good boatyard glue all the surface...The Vripack designed Doggerbank, Nice ele tric panel...but when you rénové the salon you can see behin à big mess of Electric wire look à sake net, nothing to keep them...
Good, Nice boat but absolument so "perfect".
Moonen ? One example, Moonen was expansive boat but wher the windlass is fited they put steel it became quickly a problem.
Why they don't use stainless steel here, save few undred €.

I’m confused. So the boat had ample fuel onboard. Why did they get towed in?

The whole story was on loose cannon (Peter Swanson's email newsletter) about a year ago.

Whenever there is a question, problem, improvement, or newsworthy item, I contact my CH owners. Here's an email that I sent to 30 of them, exactly a year ago:

"Hi to all CH current and former owners!

Background story: The current owners of Eden Bound, Miriam and Joseph, cruised her 7200 miles from Phuket to their homeport of Honolulu. Well, almost…they were 230 miles short when they called the USCG for a tow. Peter Swanson (ex-editor of PMM) and a well known journalist has an expansive email group and he wrote an article about the Eden Bound tow based on the USCG report. Peter Swanson called me for information before going to print. Let me know if you want a copy of this great article. Meanwhile, through additional communication between me and Peter Sever and Miriam and Joseph, Peter Swanson wrote a follow-up article. See below.

My question: Did any of you have a fuel failure problem with your CH? If you had an incident with dirty fuel or any part of your fuel filtration system, please email me the story!"

7200 nm and you ask " dirty fuel" sorry if your "fuel is dirty" the problem will appear earlier...
Not waiting 7200 nm or even 1000 nm
It happen to us in 1993 when we left Vietnam...after 300 nm filter clogged by "dust of rust".
Ok not a big issue change the filter and restart the engine.
It was with the basic filter fitted on the Perkins 4236.
You wrote the CH have filter down to 1 micron, it is good enough for don't get any damage after the filter.
It means need only to clean the line and change filter. Luckily not a big issue at all.

But 230 nm towing in the middle of ocean it will cost a lot !?

I will be flying down to look at a Cape Horn 55 next week. I gathered already from lurking on forum to look at chain locker(boat has plastic barrel per video walk through, so maybe no issue)
Can anybody give me a heads up to keep an eye out for anything else on this model, thanks.
We are going to the dark side, currently on 52 ft steel cutter, going to ditch the rags flapping around up there.
Boat checks a lot of boxes for us.

Cheers

You will fly to Nouméa ?
This one do 't move à lot during the last few years.
Don't know this model but you can have à close look at:
Waterline, sterntube area, bilge, tanks, thru hull, exhaust line
All area who had not à good access and can keep dust and humidité.( for example under shower/toilette area, sterntube,witch model basic 'directly water cooled or oil bath', if they fitted bronze valve under wl could have probem
,20+ year old the celling of tank could be rusty, if lift the boat you will see if some électrolytes because after all this year if they don't , at less hang zinc May be 8 around the boat.

If I detailled each point I will need few page :-
Don't hesitate to move and rénové thing to be able to have à look under ( for example the drum).
After it is à 'feeli g' of the général atmosphère : batterie connections coroded, wire disconected , even ... the stored toilet paper is humide or well dry yes it is funny but in dry boat all must be dry.

Attachments

• cap horn.JPG
    cap horn.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom