Canada...Panga!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Whilst wallowing around the web today, I discovered an east coast dealer bringing in South American Panga's:

Panga-style Skiff

Pretty gnarly boats.

Whilst wallowing around the web today, I discovered an east coast dealer bringing in South American Panga's:

Panga-style Skiff

Pretty gnarly boats.

Very capable, dry riding. Common on Mexico's west coast for day charter fishing and water taxi to outlying villages and resorts.

Attachments

• panga1.jpg
    panga1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 34
  • panga2.jpg
    panga2.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 34
Murray,
Good one .... but big money.
Most boats out of the Caribbean called Pangas aren’t Pangas at all. But these are. It’s kinda like dories.
Thanks

A Panga is anything but "Dry Riding" and since there is no deadrise they will beat you to death. They are stout and absolutely meant to Beach in most surf conditions, that's the trade off. The $40K sticker price gave me quite the chuckle. Back in the Day you could have a Fleet of Pangas for $40K!

From Wikipedia...

The Panga is a type of modest-sized, open, outboard-powered, fishing boat common throughout much of the developing world, including Central America, the Caribbean, parts of Africa, the Middle East, and much of Asia. The original panga design was developed by Yamaha as part of a World Bank project circa 1970.[1]

There are a couple manufactures making panga like boats. They are relatively long, narrow, and have a high bow to blow through chop. They are typically run with a 60hp Yamaha Enduro tiller steer, though many have crude center consoles to better allow captain to fish/crew.

Pretty tough boats that are heavily built. Usually pretty crude layup but hell for stout.

Peter

I thought it was pretty interesting, having never seen panga's for sale in Canada before.

We went to visit my brother-in-law who took his sailboat to Mexico a few years ago, who had seen panga's way off shore in all manner of weather and was mightily impressed.

We took one to access a zip line across the bay, sat in the bow, and pretty much got the crap beaten out of us as we spent half the time airborne. Hurt like hell but we were laughing our asses off.

My first exposure to pangas was at the Miami boat show in the late 1990's or early 2000's. It was a hull made by Angler and it has a Mercruiser diesel I/O. $25,000 with a trailer, t-top, leaning post, and a few other amenities. It was a good value and very efficient. Since then I have been keeping an eye out for a panga. Yamaha owns a range company called Imemesa which they use to sell outboards in South America. There are Imemesa dealers in Florida and Texas. There is also a panga manufacturer in the Tampa area called Panga Marine. Uforia,Andros Boats, Abaco Skiff also make them. I like the Imemesa because of Yamahas involvement. Prices have grown with increased popularity in the US. The lower priced boats you see advertised have essentially no interior or sole and are tiller outboard models (which I like). These boats are also popular with drug runners on the west coast as they hold quite a bit of cargo and usually have two large tiller outboards on the back. Government auctions can be a place to find one. They come as big as thirty some odd feet. Very narrow with poor initial stability. Bill

Open tiller skiffs are very popular in SE Alaska.
I bought a used 16’ beamy and deep Crestliner and a tiller Evinrude 40 OB.

Was a great boat except for the rigid ride. I used this boat in the bay and slightly beyond a lot and loved the tiller steering .. for awhile. Was great w the beach on the port side but it gave me quite the sore neck w the side to stbd. This only applies w longer rides though. So for an OB dinghy tiller steering is perfect but for longer runs I vote for a stbd steering station.

The Panga w their longer length to beam AR won’t pitch as much giving a smoother ride relative to shorter boats of the same beam.
But I’m sure the Panga evolved out of need for more space for people and freight. Make a big skiff wider and you’ll just squat on the “hump” as in hump speed. But if you get a skiff narrow enough (like a Panga) they kinda perform a bit like a SD boat. Their transom rides higher (not so submerged) and the submerged area is less. The submerged area is also smaller because the beam is so much less. Thus the Panga.
It increases efficiency too so more people and freight can ride along.

There’s a strong probability future trawlers will go this route w pretty much higher moorage rates being the only big limiting factor. The increased ability to carry weight and better efficiency will be the driving factors. Most pics of Pangas in action will be of them loaded w people and island freight. Lots of weight and they don’t “wallow” like a wider boat .. they just slow down. That’s probably where the big full bows shine too .. the Panga can address a wave w/o diving into the wave.

But an open skiff that’s Panga size should have a stbd control station .. IMO.

Last edited:
The most prominent feature of the Panga is long beam/length ratio and very rounded high bows.

Jeff Spira offers many small boat designs in plywood. His designs are fine as far as I know. He calls his V bottomed power dories “Pangas”. They are not. They have pointy narrow bows and are of typical AR to power dories ... not Pangas.

I prefer his light flat bottomed power dories to the V bottomed versions. I really like the 24’ Key Largo. Nothing like a big OB skiff IMO. If trimmed right they are nice level riding boats.

But if you want a Panga in plywood you’d be better off finding an OB boat design w a big full bow and extend the design from the stern aft. Then you’ll at least have the two prominent features of a Panga boat. A moderate deadrise V bottom would probably be best. Flat bottoms shine best on other small boats.

Back
Top Bottom