Canada extends cruise ship ban until Feb 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the border isn’t shut I plan to spend time south of Cape Caution. Perhaps so of Seymour. Pulling my 12’ dinghy and poking around in interesting places.

Eric, if it is more than 8-10 years since you were last north of the border, you are in for a shock; even more so this year if the border does open in time for boating.

There will be so many boaters and land cruisers wanting to make up for lost time the 250nm from the border to cape Caution will look like Lake Havasu or Sturgis on the water.

The north island is already booking up with Canadians on wheels. I expect Queen Charlotte Strait to be alive with day-trippers, whale and bear watchers. Mid island boating folks will be heading up there to escape the hordes in Desolation Sound.

Alert Bay and Sointula are both optimistic and nervous about summer ’21.

I think I'm going to ask the mods to delete this thread. All this talk by you guys who have cruised to AK is making me real jealous.

:rolleyes:

I think I'm going to ask the mods to delete this thread. All this talk by you guys who have cruised to AK is making me real jealous.

What??? Too much cruising and not enough of COVID? Even Soinla2 is optimistic the boarder will open and turn into Ft. Lauderdale spring break!!:D:lol::dance:

Don't be jealous.
I have only been there by cruise ship mind you and except for the spectacular scenery, the wildlife and the people (Alaskans I think), there is nothing to see. :D

there is nothing to see. :D

Yep nothing to see. Beautiful mountains, tons of wildlife, great fishing (better in B.C. in 2019 than fishing in Alaska), awesome mom and pop marinas, friendly folks......

Nope nothing to see......:dance::D

Don't be jealous there is nothing to see. :D

Now I know that is not true. Sarah Palin can see Russia from her window. :socool:

I was stationed in Anchorage for 4 years in the early 70's and got to fly over a good portion of the state.

Winter we skied at Alyeska, summers we camped and fished, fall we hunted (caribou and a Boone & Crockett mountain goat!) We had enough fish and game in the freezer that we seldom had to buy meat. I loved AK.
:dance: :dance:

Now I know that is not true. Sarah Palin can see Russia from her window. :socool:

I was stationed in Anchorage for 4 years in the early 70's and got to fly over a good portion of the state.

Winter we skied at Alyeska, summers we camped and fished, fall we hunted (caribou and a Boone & Crockett mountain goat!) We had enough fish and game in the freezer that we seldom had to buy meat. I loved AK.
:dance: :dance:

Early 70's, that explains it all. Back when they were experimenting on the troops. :rofl:
OK, be jealous then.

I remember taking off at Anchorage on an F27 turboprop. We flew west to Bethel on the Kuskokwim River. Seems it took over an hour and from 16.000 feet all that could be seen was white mountains. And the visibility was excellent.
But I don’t remember anybody experimenting on troops.
And to phara-phrase Sara P “I could see everything from my airplane window”.

Last edited:
I remember taking off at Anchorage on an F27 turboprop. We flew west to Bethel on the Kuskokwim River. Seems it took over an hour...
Ah, the venerable F27, the vibrations, the noise of clawing its way skywards....The Fokker is enshrined in Australian folklore by the rhyming phrase airline staff used saying the plane was full " Sorry Ocker(slang for uncultivated Aussie), the Fokker `s chocka(ie chock full =full).

It looks like the attempt by Key West voters to restrict cruise ships to those with under 1500 people, including crew, will be preempted by the Florida legislature. The lobbyists for the cruise industry got some clown in Bradenton to introduce a bill to take regulation of cruise ships away from local citizens and give it to those who do not live within 100’s of miles of the Keys.

So much for local control of ones own community and so much for the concept that local people know what’s best for their own communities!

I think that what really freaked out the cruise ships was Key West announcing that they would give docking preference to those ships that had the best environmental record! The Horror!!!!

Last edited:
I agree Wood, it happens all over BC as well. Some over paid politician representing your community and he or she doesn't even live in there rioting. Fly in - Fly out, take a picture answer a few questions, and jet set back to there villa where their kids are in private school.

I think this is why threads like this get out of control, when people feel they are being forced into something by someone who is not part of the region.

tenor.gif

That's soooo last century!

MurrayM said:
Grabbing all your toys and stomping out of the sandbox won't stop us at all. Throwing in a stink bomb worthy confrontational post is pretty lame.

Frosty said:
I think this is really the profound truth here. You choose to disregard the health of others, and you tell them to pound sand. I am scared of people with an attitude of not caring about others.

We must remember the patience needed when dealing with children who throw food, insist on having the last word, have a very limited vocabulary and don’t understand the meaning of words bigger than “why?”

Back on topic; Murray, I had an interesting conversation with Deputy Minister Tara Richards of Emergency Management BC in Solicitor General Mike Farnworth’s Ministry.

She said with a sardonic smile: “transients” crossing the “boarder” and getting passed CBSA is only the first step. They have had a year to prepare for this eventuality; RCMP, Municipal and FN Police, DFO, BC Conservation Officers, Parks BC and Parks Canada, all have authority to issue fines on the spot for COVID-19 related infractions.

Yep you nailed it.

There you have it; the reason why the US has 9 times their yearly average influenza deaths to Covid-19 while Canada has 3.7 times its yearly average influenza deaths.

Not bragging...Canada is in the middle of the pack and could have / should have done better.

Last edited:
There you have it; the reason why the US has 9 times their yearly average influenza deaths to Covid-19 while Canada has 3.7 times its yearly average influenza deaths.

Not bragging...Canada is in the middle of the pack and could have / should have done better.
Well we Amercans, are not tied to the Crown or Ottawa.

We must remember the patience needed when dealing with children who throw food, insist on having the last word, have a very limited vocabulary and don’t understand the meaning of words bigger than “why?”

Back on topic; Murray, I had an interesting conversation with Deputy Minister Tara Richards of Emergency Management BC in Solicitor General Mike Farnworth’s Ministry.

She said with a sardonic smile: “transients” crossing the “boarder” and getting passed CBSA is only the first step. They have had a year to prepare for this eventuality; RCMP, Municipal and FN Police, DFO, BC Conservation Officers, Parks BC and Parks Canada, all have authority to issue fines on the spot for COVID-19 related infractions.
Yeah, so what?

ASD, I give you a half salute for being the only American left on the front line of this TF debate.
They left you hanging! Maybe you shouldn’t have given them a choice!

I’m heading out on the boat next weekend first trip out this year!

Any good areas to go for an anti mask shake down cruise?

I’m thinking a under serviced mom and pop marina with limited access to medical coverage.

Okydowky said:
I’m thinking a under serviced mom and pop marina with limited access to medical coverage.
Kelsey Bay would probably work and it has the added bonus of some exceptional multi grain pounding sand at the mouth of the Salmon River.

Well, it's all about choice now, isn't it?
Chose to wear a mask at the dock, or not; chose to pay the fine, or not; chose to leave your scow behind, or not, chose to be tied to the Crown or Canada, or not.
Tangential, but a "Constitutional Monarchy" like we have, and I`m guessing Canada too, is no real fetter of independence. In practical terms it`s like a Republic.

What`s so awful about Ottawa, a bit dull but you can amuse yourself observing the canal locks. Our capital, Canberra, is dull too, but you can go look at the lake. anywhere infested with politicians is dull. Though Capitol Hill is maybe not always dull.

Ok, since this thread is about the cruise ship ban...
Is there any way to see the Senate progress of the Bill by the two Alaskans?

Ok, since this thread is about the cruise ship ban...
Is there any way to see the Senate progress of the Bill by the two Alaskans?
Reviewing it,Post 1 seems broader than just cruise ships.

Reviewing it,Post 1 seems broader than just cruise ships.
Yeah, I was thinking in terms of the title.
And to clarify, my previous post (218) wasn't aimed at you; we were typing at the same time.

This was drug off into the ditch by the rights brigade, a while back.

Infractions do not matter. $230 mostly as I doubt a transiting boater would get the $2300 fine.
But if you do get a ticket you must remain in Canada for 30 days, forego your transit through to Alaska.
So you pay the ticket on the 30th day after having a nice visit.
I hope this makes you think twice before breaking our laws.

Seems the infractions are the same then as noted in various government publications for quite some time. Just reiterated here to continue the TF feud over inane issues.

Greetings,
Mr. s. Hardly inane if you're talking about the well being of remote communities that have neither the ability or resources to deal with infections from outside sources. Where does national sovereignty enter into the equation?

A statement such as "...are not tied to the Crown or Ottawa" is the height of arrogance AND ignorance. Visitors to ANY foreign country are obliged to follow the rules and laws of said foreign country or suffer the consequences.

Edit: Re post #222. "...common sense should prevail..." All well and good IF you could guarantee that people DO use "common sense" and IF that "common sense" was based on fact and NOT on what you think is right.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. s. Hardly inane if you're talking about the well being of remote communities that have neither the ability or resources to deal with infections from outside sources.

You couldn't be more correct. Keeping the virus at bay from the remotes is quite important. But TF members obvious piss fighting over important topics bears mentioning.

Unfortunately at this time BC is suffering a reversal of previous CV19 results within its own populace and practices, opposite it would seem the decent results in Eastern Canada. A look at the decent showings of the new case curves for AB, NWT, Yukon and WA state likewise show BC is a current outlier - vaccine maybe the answer?

This BC reversal has indeed raised alarm bells, but it is not due to a handful of in-the-future transiting US boaters who are not allowed to go to shore except under conditions A or B. By all appearances the BC government is pushing hard to reverse things. Godspeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom