Boat Sensor Remote Monitoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Byekurman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Seawood
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I do not have wireless at my boat dock/marina. I am interested in what inexpensive/fairly simple solutions others may be using to remote monitor things like intrusion, cabin temperature, and security camera. I thought of keeping my notebook computer on the boat connected to the internet and maybe installing an app that I could connect Bluetooth devices to my notebook, thus allowing me to communicate to these devices through my home computer. Do you know of such an app that I could download? Would a Hotspot device do this? Is there a system available that I could just purchase and add devices to? Thanks for your advice in this matter.

My Notebook computer (Samsung Tab 4) connects directly to the internet.

Faced with a similar problem (no wifi and needing security) we installed a BRNKL monitoring system. It was quite easy to install and I am WAY less worried about the boat when not there. It included a security camera and is completely cellular based. I am currently monitoring bilge pump activity, temperature, humidity, battery voltage, as well as pitch, roll and impact. I also purchased the parts to add shore power monitoring, a door switch on the salon door and to use the boat's horn as an alarm. If there is a problem, I get a notification on my phone and can also have it send emails if desired.

No affiliation other than being a happy customer. www.brnkl.io

Attachments

• BRNKL_Bilge.jpg
    BRNKL_Bilge.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Is your bilge pump operating 6 times in 7 days due to rain?
If not what is it.

Yes, water runs off the flybridge bimini onto the cockpit cover and gets into the cockpit through the area around the ladder where there are some unavoidable holes in the canvas. Adding to that, the canvas is 15 years old and just about see through, so even 303 does little to make it waterproof. Our cockpit floor was built by the PO who did nothing to control water getting into the bilge from the outside edges of the floor and hatches.

At the time you are looking at, we got about 6" of snow and then a warm day when it quickly melted, along with some rainy days. If there is no water coming out of the sky, the bilge pump runs maybe once a week at the most. Thus, one of the reasons I wanted to install a monitoring system.

Last edited:
Thus, one of the reasons I wanted to install a monitoring system.
Same here, getting an alert, being able to log in to see there was no activity, peace of mind, priceless.

Back
Top Bottom