Boat search is over....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prairie Salt

Veteran Member
No Boat.

After a deep dive into this we decided to buy a recreational property. My greatest hang up was owning a relatively expensive depreciating asset that we planned to use part time.

With a property we continue to build assets and will charter instead.

I'll keep lurking around the forum as this world is fascinating.

Thanks for all the advice and conversations!!

Last edited:
That is fantastic!!! you figured out boating is not for you before you bought a boat.!!!!

Greetings,
Mr. PS. Hopefully the recreational property you ultimately choose will be on some body of water that will allow you to boat. LOTS of water in Manitoba. Some of it even melts on occasion...

iu

With a property we continue to build assists and will charter instead.

What are assists, and how do you charter property?? ;)

I can tell boating isn't for you. You're doing the math and running the numbers. It just doesn't work that way. LOL!!!!

Best of luck, at least you're not trying to die on a towering pile of horded cash. There is no wrong way to do it, as long as you're doing SOMETHING.

No Boat.

a relatively expensive depreciating asset that we planned to use part time.

Ah! A rational voice...clearly you don't belong here. :lol:

A friend once asked how much it cost to operate my airplane. I told him I didn't know and didn't dare calculate it. No less true of a boat.

Prairie Salt can still enjoy (limited) boating via charters... and you never know he/ they may get "hooked" or continue to charter.
It could make a lot of sense for those distant from water and only wanting to be an occasional user.
We own a boat and rent waterfront / vacation property every year.
The key is doing something you are passionate about and enjoy.

With global warming, I hope your recreational property is not on a coast.

Maybe rethink that boat...

Ah! A rational voice...clearly you don't belong here. :lol:

A friend once asked how much it cost to operate my airplane. I told him I didn't know and didn't dare calculate it. No less true of a boat.

So true. The fun of boating is so great you shouldn't even try to put a value on it - and it's not good to do so, because it would detract from a lot of the fun - but not enough to stop yuh..! You are hooked. :D

Yeah, I've been "hooked" ever since I went out on my Uncle's boat with my dad at age 7. Fishing, clamming & crabbing and just a day on the water.

Nothing like it!

At some point in life you stop being concerned with your assets appreciating and start using your assets for fun.
Hope you have fun.

At some point in life you stop being concerned with your assets appreciating and start using your assets for fun.
Hope you have fun.

perfect post!!!

I went "round and round' before I bought my boat. Summer home or boat?

I finally decided on a boat because the lake I loved most, (in Northern Wisconsin) is about six miles long, about a mile wide. Several beautiful islands, perhaps ten miles of shoreline, a couple resorts scattered around the lake.

Once you have seen it all, you have seen it all.

pete

Hope you have fun.

That’s definitely true. It’s a hard habit to break though.

I have a vacation spot. I am looking for a boat. Yes they both have their advantages. The downside to a set spot is you are locked into that spot almost every vacation. Same location and maintenance etc. With a boat you have maintenance but the location can change hourly. You don't have to be at the same place twice if you don't want to. So much more freedom. Also you can still take vacations and travel to other locations and not feel guilty about having to go check on your vacation property. That said my kids have many great memories at the vacation spot and they love it. Had they grown up with a boat they would have memories about that. We did have a small 20' wakeboard boat they they enjoyed. But I ended up selling it as the water activity has a time and place. Mainly when they are young.

Last edited:
We would vacation up on the Delmarva peninsula. Ended up buying a summer place up there after retiring several years ago. Now wife decided we need to do the Great Loop. So now we have another boat too.......
Will it ever end?

i'm 50/50 right now on the boat/trawler thing and can relate. i'll be retiring in 2-3 months, and in anticipation of that, have been researching boats for the last couple of years. my dream has been to spend summer months between my home in the Seattle area and S.E. Alaska.....and points in between....on a boat.

for me certainly there are budget considerations, but it seems i can 'likely' afford it. my hang up is more my wife and her preferences. i want her to share my adventures, but right now not sure she has the appetite for it. this was always going to be an issue, so it's not any sort of conflict. this week we will have been married 49 years.

we have come down to likely whether we buy a motorhome and travel around, or i buy a boat and i spend time by myself, or maybe friends and family can share it with me....and occasionally she would also be on it some. i'd rather travel around with her in the motorhome, than be by myself on a boat, but she might not even want to leave home regularly on a motorhome either.

so that's where we are, what is her preference? and if not the motorhome, i'll do the boat thing. i just want her to do something she wants to do.

lots of reasons not to do the boat thing.

Equity, maybe.

I have land that I could claim is a better investment than the boat, but I’m not that sure. After capital gains , maintenance, and taxes that never end. I’m not sure the boat is so bad a place for the savings.

I can only add that buying our trawler has been one of the most thrilling and, with certainty, the most irresponsible thing I have done to date.

Hawk

I have always said, you have to be a moron to own a boat.

If I give up boating, I could have one hell of a heroin addiction and save money!

I must be a complete moron. Since my first Super Snark in college I have owned 9 boats.

Well, we were in the same boat.... Our choices were recreational land, skoolie or boat. We got the boat. Figured we could still do the other two even when(IF) we get older.

We did a refi on our house when we thought interest rates couldn't possibly get any lower. We hit it at 2.5% and pulled just a little bit of equity out to pay cash for the boat.

I'd still like to get some property that is boat access only.

Great responses...thanks.

Maybe I should have said, "No boat, for now".

The property is in a small community on the lake with a beautiful golf course. As a contractor I don't fuss too much about maintenance.

We have some rental properties and my plan was to remortgage, own a boat for a bit, sell and put what's left back into the mortgage. Depreciation and maintenance would be the cost of the experience.

I have a power dingy for kids and a MacGregor 19.

With an 11 year old we figure we have 8 years before we can take off for extended periods of time so why not have a recreation property for that time.

....but who really cares to talk about a property on a Trawler Forum. lol

Dockage rental for our area is ridiculous so we bought our boat slip before the boat. Kind of "cart before the horse" thing. We now have recreational property and a boat!

Greetings,
Mr. PS. IF your property is on the "big lake" you can readily get your trawler. Just sayin'

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom