Boat Crane/lift tripping gfci

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
I have a hydraulic boat lift on my boat. We have to physically plug the lift in to use it and all the outlets on my boat or GFCI protected. My issue is that each time I go to use the web the trips the GFCI breaker. I removed one of my GFCI receptacles and put a normal receptacle in and the lift runs with no issues. Any idea why this would be happening?

I have a hydraulic boat lift on my boat. We have to physically plug the lift in to use it and all the outlets on my boat or GFCI protected. My issue is that each time I go to use the web the trips the GFCI breaker. I removed one of my GFCI receptacles and put a normal receptacle in and the lift runs with no issues. Any idea why this would be happening?

The GFI is tripping because you have voltage leaking between the neutral and grounding wiring. Changing the outlet did not solve your problem, but instead is creating a dangerous situation.

You have to see what is miswired or shorting on the boat lift to cause the GFI to trip. If this is outside your wheel house it is time to contact a marine electrician who should be able to track down the fault.

Thanks for the reply. The GFI is back in place so there is no danger at this point. I think it’s something within the hydraulic motor that is causing the issue. I have heard that running a motor with a gfi is a no no?

I have heard that running a motor with a gfi is a no no?

Except of course that it was the norm for 50-80 years.

On many motors the neutral and ground are connected.

If you are really worried a different motor could perhaps be installed.

Since this is only rarely used not constantly on, it is a far less danger., although in" theory" it is a danger.

Was the outlet wet or corroded? Check all the wiring to the motor for bad connections or corrosion.

Try a new GFCI outlet. I've had several over the years on dirt homes that failed or can't take much of a load without tripping. Look for Chinese letters.

Back
Top Bottom