boat captain sans license

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
I always thought you needed a captain's license in order to get paid for being a boat driver. But every now and then I'll run across some comment on some forum saying this ain't so in some special circumstances. Any truth to the rumors?

Absolutely true..... usually the key is paying "passengers".....hinging on the word passenger.

It can be tricky, but give an exam ppl, e and at least the forums opinions may be accurate.

When in doubt, call the USCG Maritime Center.

All depends on the waterway and the nature of the job.

First consideration is whether or not the waterway is federally controlled or state controlled. Any coastal waterway, waterway used for commercial traffic (Missouri, Ten-Tom, Mississippi, Hudson, American, Columbia river systems are but a few) or any waterway that is a state line (Great Lakes, Lake Tahoe, Lake Texoma, Lake Champlain, etc.) are all federally controlled waterways- so you would need to be licensed if being employed to carry fare paying passengers. If one is hired as a captain on a private vessel to act as skipper in command for non-paying passengers, then the captain's license requirement is not applicable.

State waterways come under the jurisdiction of the particular state- for example, only a Texas state license is needed to be a charter captain on Lake Travis.

There are other situations requiring a license...such as certain towing situations not involving passengers....but not all like a captain for in company equipment towing and the towboat is less than 26 feet ( even that situation is such that I am not sure of all the required details).

I think the key based on two factors:

1) Are you carrying passengers or cargo FOR HIRE?

2) Is the vessel a USCG Inspected Vessel?

If the answer is YES to either, then it is my understanding that you need a USCG captains license when operating in US waters.

https://www.annapolisschoolofseamanship.com/captainslicense

"Rule beaters" contractor type tugs don't require license to operate. Plenty of guys getting paid to run those 25'11" Boats. There are several companies that specialize in the construction of those small pushboats .

#2 was true years ago when I had my license. That was the quick way to get licensed for more tonnage. My 200 ton license was originally written for 25 tons. After working as captain of an uninspected vessel the license was rewritten for 150 tons. Another hitch on a yet larger vessel would have gotten my license up to the full 200 tons, never did it. It was fun, good experience, no regrets.

I also thought if you had paid crew members, a license was required.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom