Best (non-stinky) sewer hose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• 4B93FEE9-3C03-4F26-8EFD-D68306FCE232.jpeg
    4B93FEE9-3C03-4F26-8EFD-D68306FCE232.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 43
I used it extensively on refit. 8+ yrs on full time use, still fine. Also very easy install.

Absolutely SaniFlex hose, nothing else!

Well thanks guys. I replumbed my system three years ago with Trident 101 because it was recommended here.

I only use the SaniFlex for sewage and sewage vents. I also use it for bilge pumps since it is so flexible and smooth bore.

Well thanks guys. I replumbed my system three years ago with Trident 101 because it was recommended here.

Trident 101 is good too. Just not as flexible. It’s also less expensive. You’ll get good life from the 101.

Personally I don’t care about the small cost difference, I just want the best hose for sewage that I can get so I don’t have to replace it again.

Do NOT buy 148 white pvc hose for waste hose!
Saniflex rules

The extra flexibility of Saniflex is well worth the cost. That it happens to resist odors is a bonus.

Yes, PVC works well for straight runs and it doesn’t permeate.

BTW - the main cause of odour from sanitary hose is sewage not cleared or dead small sealife creatures in the hose.
1 solution is it takes 1.5 to 2 pumps per foot of hose between the head and tank to clear the hose: 5 feet 8 to 10 pumps.
2 solution is a bucket of fresh water once or twice per day - depending on head use.
My thoughts

Saniflex for the bendy bits, PVC for the straight runs.

+1 If you can run PVC pipe for a significant part of your runs it is well worth it, both in initial saving in cost and achieving absolute impermeability. Saniflex is great but it will eventually permeate smells. I am talking 15+ years.
~A

Pvc

What does Peggy think about using PVC for part of the sanitary run? It seems to me that the additional fittings would cause problems by eliminating smooth flow for the entire distance. Is my thinking wrong?

Your thinking is spot on, Mark. Hard pvc is fine for a single long (5' or more) straight run, but most people don't realize that hard pipe should be "soft coupled" to anything rigid (toilet, tank, thru-hull) with a foot or two of hose. More than one LONG piece of hard pipe in the same installation will result in a whole bunch of fittings that can trap bits of waste and TP.

Saniflex is great but it will eventually permeate smells. I am talking 15+ years.
Well, Alan...10 years is the average working life of any hose because rubber and plastics dry out over time, becoming hard, brittle, and prone to cracking and splitting. In fact, BOAT/U.S. published an article several years ago in which they said old hoses connected to thru-hulls left open when no one is aboard is the leading cause of boats sinking in their slips.

BTW - the main cause of odour from sanitary hose is sewage not cleared or dead small sealife creatures in the hose.
That's true of toilet intake hoses, Leo, but very little sea life--alive or dead--goes through toilet discharge lines. It's actually waste left to sit or cling to the walls of toilet discharge and pumpout hoses that permeates them....And all that extra pumping is just filling up your holding tank...it doesn't accomplish anything more than the bucketful of fresh water you're flushing daily, and you can accomplish just as much with a quart/liter or two as with a bucketful.

--Peggie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom