ASD 2019 Alaska Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great fuel mileage numbers ASD! I'm envious.

We left Campbell river at 3am this morning and arrived in Port Hardy at 4:30. Departing early enroute for Shearwater. Will keep an eye out for you. Boats name is Gikumi. We are on ais.
Dave

We left Campbell river at 3am this morning and arrived in Port Hardy at 4:30. Departing early enroute for Shearwater. Will keep an eye out for you. Boats name is Gikumi. We are on ais.
Dave

We did similar a few years ago. Ended up in Blunden Harbor, about 100 nm as best I remember. Catching that flood to ebb at Seymour Narrows really speeds you along for about 6 hours.

BTW Dave, your boat must have a great story. Care to pass along some details on it? Thanks.

We missed a weather window for Cape Caution yesterday. Today was marginal with Sunday /Monday looking real good. Some folks here at the dock are in a big hurry and left this morning. Little lumpy for us. We will enjoy Port McNeill for a few more days and then continue our track.

Today

Attachments

• Weather 1.jpg
    Weather 1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Weather 2.jpg
    Weather 2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 75
If you want a head start on Cape Caution, anchor up in Miles inlet it's just a little SE of Slingsly Miles is absolutely bomb proof not to mention one of the prettiest places on the coast. The only caveat is heading toward Caution if slingsly is in full ebb you will get some rollers in front of the channel, otherwise you're 15 miles from caution. Once past caution if the weather is snotty you can swing in to Smith Inlet. about 4 miles in is Fly Basin another great anchorage..

I would think ASD’s boat is too big for Miles Inlet.

This is my wif’s all-time favorite anchorage but the last time we were there we had a 25’ Albin. Eagles and hooting owls. Magic place ... but small.

Wish I was there at Port McNeil.

Last edited:
Some folks here at the dock are in a big hurry and left this morning. Little lumpy for us.

Discretion is the better part of valor for your next leg, a long one in QC Sound and around Cape Caution. Waiting trumps getting beat to hell all day in my book.

North Island Marina, if that's where you're staying, has a free loaner van you can use to explore the surrounding area. We've done that a few times when we've been waiting.:thumb:

Last edited:
If you want a head start on Cape Caution, anchor up in Miles inlet it's just a little SE of Slingsly Miles is absolutely bomb proof not to mention one of the prettiest places on the coast. The only caveat is heading toward Caution if slingsly is in full ebb you will get some rollers in front of the channel, otherwise you're 15 miles from caution. Once past caution if the weather is snotty you can swing in to Smith Inlet. about 4 miles in is Fly Basin another great anchorage..

We have been caught in front of Slingsly on an ebb....not fun. Holding at the dock with 30+knot winds is no big deal for us. I have a few honey-do list to accomplish.

If you get tired of the PMN dock, you could move up to Clam Cove on Nigei island, which has good protection from all winds and is 17 miles from Cape Caution. We use it a lot, both going up and down.

If you get tired of the PMN dock, you could move up to Clam Cove on Nigei island, which has good protection from all winds and is 17 miles from Cape Caution. We use it a lot, both going up and down.

Thank you

Tom, I'm with you about holding at the dock in heavy winds. It's hard to get into trouble when you're secured to a dock.

Enjoying your posts.

Consider God's Pocket also

I’d be at Allison Harbour.
Or Treadwell Bay up Slingsby Chanel.

Last edited:
We rounded Cape Caution yesterday before noon. Easy passage. Bishops bay tonight then will be in Rupert for a couple of weeks prepping for Haida Gwaii.

Looking at the weather this morning, we will be crossing tomorrow morning. Alesnloggers did we cross paths? If we do again, I have a beer,wine or drink for you.

I would think ASD’s boat is too big for Miles Inlet.

This is my wif’s all-time favorite anchorage but the last time we were there we had a 25’ Albin. Eagles and hooting owls. Magic place ... but small.

Wish I was there at Port McNeil.

We stayed many of night in Miles with our 48 Defever. We towed a an 18 ft fishing boat and fished the area around there.... It's only a little concerning going in there the first time.... We have seen as many as a half a dozen boats anchored up in there...

We stayed many of night in Miles with our 48 Defever. We towed a an 18 ft fishing boat and fished the area around there.... It's only a little concerning going in there the first time.... We have seen as many as a half a dozen boats anchored up in there...
On the hook in Pruth Bay. Had a generator issue, I will discuss later. All is good. Shear Water/Bella Bella next stop. Crusty has a place in his heart for this place.

On the hook in Pruth Bay. Had a generator issue, I will discuss later. All is good. Shear Water/Bella Bella next stop. Crusty has a place in his heart for this place.

Hope you put a crab pot out in the inlet on the south side. Got17 big males to sort through last June on an overnight soak. Love that place!

Looking at the weather this morning, we will be crossing tomorrow morning. Alesnloggers did we cross paths? If we do again, I have a beer,wine or drink for you.

I don't think we have crossed paths yet. Left Campbell River early Thursday morning and arrived in Prince Rupert last night. Long days, would have liked to have taken more time but we are on a schedule and took advantage of the weather. We are here until the end of the month then will be on the west coast of Haida Gwaii for 2 months as mothership to an oceanographic survey team. Will be moored at the yacht club until then. Will definitely take you up on the beer if you make it here before we leave.
Dave

Nothing like an all day run and then have to chase the genny gremlins. Those following seas are your nemesis. Maybe if “Morning Star” was there to help? LOL

Nothing like an all day run and then have to chase the genny gremlins. Those following seas are your nemesis. Maybe if “Morning Star” was there to help? LOL

Ah, the infamous Morning Star from your last year's travels. I thought at some point in your dealings with MS on genset noise that something violent was going to happen. :eek: I watched for Morning Star all last summer but never did see him.....maybe he went home in disgust (?)

WE are currently in Shearwater on the hook. While in Pruth we spent some time on the west beach. Nice and relaxing, until we returned and the genny would not start.

Hydro-locked again. When we left Port McNiell we had following seas and when we reached Egg Islands, we had port stern seas. I will draw a picture of the exhaust system for TFs consumption. I believe I will need to install a check valve on the exhaust or just run the genny when I am in seas like this. More to follow.

No crab traps put out. 9 hour run and then the genny issue. Wasn't in the mood.

I'm following your spot locations. In zooming out a bit, I notice two Dundas Islands, is that right?

I'm following your spot locations. In zooming out a bit, I notice two Dundas Islands, is that right?
Ha have no clue. We are in Crusty's favorite place. They still talk about the 2 yachts dragging anchor.

We are leaving Shearwater and next stop if Bottleneck and Kutze, the trench, then Prince Rupert. We will be off grid for the next week or so. Will post a blog entry once there with pics.

Hey Crusty!!!!

We are safe in K-Town (KetchaKan AK). Will catch up on entries.

Bottomline: Having an awesome time, great weather. More to come.

Oh, Crusty look who met me at the dock...you snooze you loose!!!:eek::thumb::D:dance:

Attachments

• IMG_5247.jpg
    IMG_5247.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 70
This is one of the "best" springs we have had but it doesn't bode well for forest fires, already dry. I have been following your Spot tracks.

Back
Top Bottom