Anchoring in Tod Inlet (Vancouver island)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
Reading the “what to do when someone anchors too close” thread, I’ve often wonder about Tod Inlet.

I’ve anchored in there before but it was early season and I almost had it to myself.

Last summer I went there several times on different days early and mid day times and it was fairly crowded.

I am 60’ and even though the inlet at the very back is quite protected, I still worry about scope and swing radius including that of the other boats (and the probability that more boats will try to squeeze in later) So each of those times I left.

I’m probably just being far too conservative, but for those that know the spot what do you use for parameters in anchoring there? Exclude stern ties.

Reading the “what to do when someone anchors too close” thread, I’ve often wonder about Tod Inlet.

I’ve anchored in there before but it was early season and I almost had it to myself.

Last summer I went there several times on different days early and mid day times and it was fairly crowded.

I am 60’ and even though the inlet at the very back is quite protected, I still worry about scope and swing radius including that of the other boats (and the probability that more boats will try to squeeze in later) So each of those times I left.

I’m probably just being far too conservative, but for those that know the spot what do you use for parameters in anchoring there? Exclude stern ties.
I've always anchored just outside the Inlet to avoid the gong show. And, since we're 55', it seems fair not to take up that much space in such a tiny inlet.

I've always anchored just outside the Inlet to avoid the gong show. And, since we're 55', it seems fair not to take up that much space in such a tiny inlet.

Where outside? Between Brentwood Bay and the start of the inlet? I never thought of that. Leaves one exposed to North or NW winds I guess. And not as magical. But i should consider that.

We've anchored there overnight maybe four or five times. You're right, it is pretty well protected all the way at the end, and relatively narrow of course, but it's so long that even in high season, there always seemed to be enough room. I do know we try very hard to be extremely quiet there though, since sound carries so easily. You sneeze and they can hear it ten boats away on a quiet evening. We'd cringe in the morning when we had to fire up the engine to leave, and purposely wouldn't do it too early. On Delfin's post above, okay, but the mouth of the inlet always seemed so busy with passing traffic and moored boats that we've never thought it's good spot compared to the serenity of the inlet itself.

P.S. We've just chartered sailboats there, not power -- in other words, not in the boat in my profile photo. Not sure I'd take a big powerboat in there even if I could, and shatter the tranquility.

Last edited:
What scope do you use in normal conditions? Given its protection and the other boats?

Where outside? Between Brentwood Bay and the start of the inlet? I never thought of that. Leaves one exposed to North or NW winds I guess. And not as magical. But i should consider that.
I've anchored at both locations.

Attachments

• Butchart.jpg
    Butchart.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 42
What scope do you use in normal conditions? Given its protection and the other boats?

I'll bet we've never done more than 3:1. It's so relatively shallow (15-20 feet generally) and protected (both wind and water) we've never felt the need to put out any more. I don't remember even backing down hard on the anchor like we'd usually do, or much of a tidal swing, seems like we're usually held with the chain going nearly straight down. I have seen some boats snug the shore pretty closely, but not lots of movement. But then maybe it's just been freakishly still and quiet every time we've been there. The Bedwell Harbor Marina/Pender Island and Tod Inlet are probably our two favorite places when we charter out there. Shhhhh!!!!!

I hope you understand just how much that comment is appreciated.

It’s actually not that tiny it’s just how many boats are in there. It’s quite a great feeling in there so to be outside would lose the appeal to me. It’s also not the length of the boats but the swing they might have.

The Bedwell Harbor Marina/Pender Island and Tod Inlet are probably our two favorite places when we charter out there. Shhhhh!!!!!

Agreed!
But instead of Bedwell I’d say Montague, though I had a great time at both last trip. Bedwell third.

One of my favorite places, but then it’s one of many peoples favorite places. It is fairly protected, but don’t believe that I’ve not seen some strong gusts in there from time to time causing unexpected chaos. Stay away from the head of the bay near the stream, too much silt and not great holding. If you don’t want to take up too much space, stern tie. Sorry, it’s simply the only way to get many boats back there. Given your length, there are a few spots where you would just anchor in the middle with no shore tie. But, very much expect that others will expect you to be at short scope and will absolutely anchor close by. Both because they may have to and because many just don’t know better and think the anchorage is immune to a blow. Sigh. The best holding is actually in the tightest parts and more wind protection too, but at your length and without a shore tie that’s not where you will likely be.

So, anchor with short scope, depending on what your ground tackle can get away with. You will only care about wind. If it blows, you will be going to probably double your scope. Don’t worry, there should be room as if the person behind you is on short scope, they will drag out of the way soon enough. Just goes with the territory. Does not happen every day, but it happens.

Moderate mud holding out in the middle, should be fine with a decent anchor.

If stern tied, put your anchor out a ways. If it blows it will funnel through the larger bay and be blowing on your beam. If your anchor slips, the stern tie won’t and your bow will start heading ashore. Most of these kinds of winds die by midnight and strongest in late afternoon during the summer.

One of the best anchorages after Labor Day when the people volumes are much lower, but the fireworks on the weekends before that are fun to watch. Best to pick calm weather if it’s going to be busy.

I don't think anything is more crowded than Prideaux Haven this weekend. The walls were lined with stern tied boats and everyone in the middle was on a 3 to 1 scope. This was before the holiday weekend.

I don't think anything is more crowded than Prideaux Haven this weekend. The walls were lined with stern tied boats and everyone in the middle was on a 3 to 1 scope. This was before the holiday weekend.

BC (before Covid) we would anchor elsewhere and dinghy into Prideaux to count boats. In our annual vacation time (Before Retirement) of late July/early August we never toured without a count of 100+. During the 2 yrs of fewer boats we anchored in there, (First and Last times) with a count of +- 30.
Back to its normal again.

Back
Top Bottom