Albin 43 depower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the auto pilot question it could depend on the type of steering. Mechanical maybe, hydraulic maybe not. With hydraulic steering rudder feedback may be necessary as the relationship of the wheel to the rudder drifts over time. I suggest talking to Raymarine to find out.

When we went from sail to power it was a change from 18hp to 500 total hp. We veryv eldom use it all but on occasion it is nice to have. As suggested I would stay with the Yanmars as long as they are reliable. Any repower is a major undertaking.

That's an interesting Albin 43. Some of it looks like every Albin 43 I've seen, and several things look completely different. I have a 1988 Albin 43 sundeck, hull # 246. I've only seen one other with a higher hull number so I'm pretty sure mine was near the end of the production. I'd be really curious to know what hull number that one is.
By the way, mine has Lehman SP135s.

Brent Hodges
Friendship

I had the same version of this boat in 40 foot. Purchased new in 88 came with twin 240 turbo perkins. WAY too much power. You could push the boat up on top of the water and it was unstable. Twin 130 would be lots. I had a 43 and it had a single 135 Perkins and was perfect for a 33,000 lb boat.

With respect to Autopilot, the boat should have hydraulic steering so fitting a hydraulic is the way to go, not much more $ than the one you showed but will work on both helms.
Personally on my 43 I only hand steer to dock, all driving is done with a/p.

Two replacement engines even of around 100HP will likely run $12,000 - 15,000 each. Gearboxes may be included but if not then add another $2,000-3,000 each. With small gearboxes deep ratios are usually not available so the props will need to be replaced at another 3,000 each. There will be no way to practically modify them enough to make them workable.

Just the machinery changes will run:
engines 25,000 - 30,000
gears 6,000
props 6,000

Engine mounts will have to be redone as they will not line up/fit.
There will be lots of other things that once you get into it will need to be done such as electrical and controls may not be adaptable.

Then the labour and all the other costs from the other changes will start.
I am guessing but another 25,000 to 30, 000

I could see you running into well north of $60,000
Plus to boot the boat will be out of commission for a LONG period, suggest 3 months or more.

There will be no way to recuperate that cost on fuel savings unless you run 1,000 hr yearly or more.

I am not a mechanic but have seen enough of these threads to remember the costs suggested by the good mechanic members who do know.

My BIL 25 yrs ago replaced his 50HP engine with a 100HP engine. Had it replaced although he helped where he could to try to keep some of the expense down. The bill was $25,000 give or take a bit.

I have known others who were forced to change and it was a far larger bill than they envisioned.

So believe those who suggest get someone down to assess the engines you have. They may not be tired but just need some help. If they are run at hull speed revs with an occasion foray at higher revs for a cleanup then they may give you long and good service.

Otherwise find another boat with engines more suited to your wants.

....and the boat currently has no autopilot so would the Raymarine EV100 Wheel Pilot work OK as a retrofit?

I installed one of those things on a sailbote for a friend. Cannot say I am a fan. Recommend a purpose-built AP for that big boat.

"Otherwise find another boat with engines more suited to your wants."

This is good advice but very hard to do.

Displacement boats require little power , 30-70-HP is normal , but most of the engines available are taken from other industries and are far more powerful.

So the boater is stuck with a bigger engine than needed , which is not efficient although matching the prop and RPM for cruising does help.

Sadly the engine Mfg do not provide either a fuel map or BMEP , so in most cases its a guess to set up.

That's why the motto 'third time lucky" !

Back
Top Bottom