AIS Settings in OpenCPN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMF1984

Guru
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
I have a Vesper 8000 that works fine and communicates with my IPad running AquaMap via Wifi.

I have a laptop running Windows 10 with OpenCPN e to set up to display the Vesper AIS info as well as use the Vesper GPS.

Followed some directions on the web but can't get it to work.

Help please.

John

OpenCpn/Vesper

We run OpenCpn on a laptop with the the Vesper 8000 and it works fine. Have you checked to make sure the laptop is signed onto the Vesper wifi? It should work if it is.

I know that if I configure my PC correctly, it will work. I am just missing something. I did try that configuration shown on the Vesper page no dice. Ugh.

I run an EM Trac B100 via USB to OpenCPN - so admittedly a different config. Works very well, but the few times I have had difficulties it has been the PC USB connection (not OpenCPN itself) - needing a reboot and then reconnection.

I have an EM Trak utility that I used to diagnose whether the issue was IAS to PC or PC to OpenCPN.

Perhaps you can use a different tool to help diagnose in a similar way?

YMMV of course.

Good luck!

If you look under connections and check the "Show Debug Window" option, once the window pops up, are you seeing AIS-related NMEA sentences (messages) in the window, e.g. AIVDM?

Can you list AIS contacts? See them on the map? Neither?

Okay. So, that rules out a heading issue. So, sounds like it isn't getting the data.

What do you see in the connections debug window?

To get to it look under connections and check the "Show Debug Window" option. It will then pop up.

Do you see AIS-related NMEA sentences (messages) in the window, e.g. AIVDM?

Well let's be honest, I don't know what AIDVM is.

But I did take a screen shot. Any suggestions helpful. Thanks.

Attachments

• OpenCPN problem.jpg
    OpenCPN problem.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 41
Okay. That surprises me. See that screen shot you sent over. See the debug window? See the line that begins !AIVDM? That is another vessel sending over AIS data and it being received by OpenCPN.

Can you close all of that, right click on the chart, and, when the menu appears, select "AIS Target List". Then, post a screen dump of the resulting "AIS Target List" that will pop up. Post the list, even if empty.

Thanks!

Yeah,
So there are a few boats there, but not showing up on screen. Below is screen shot.

Attachments

• OpenCPN problem-2.jpg
    OpenCPN problem-2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 31
Okay. So....AIS data is making it to OpenCPN and OpenCPN is decoding it and processing it, but it isn't being rendered.

Close all of the stuff OpenCPN may have popped up, except the main window with the chart. In the lower right hand corner, there are three horizontal lines. Click those.

A set of check boxes will appear. Make sure that "Show AIS targets IS checked. And, make sure "Minimize less critical targets is *Not* checked.

Screen capture this screen with these check boxes in this configuration and post it to the forum.

Then press the three horizontal lines in the lower-right corner again to save the changes and make the check boxes disappear.

You should see AIS contacts rendered as triangles. If not, zoom out ine step at a time to a max of about a 20-25 nautical mile radius. After each step, look for AIS contacts rendered as triangles, probably green.

If that doesn't work reverse the process and zoom in, at each step look for AIS contacts. Repeat until you see at least one or you see an "OverZoom" watermark appear on the chart.

Screen capture and post to the forum the screen at which you first see AIS contacts.

In any case, let us know what happens. The screen shots will either complete this story to help someone else or help us further debug your situation -- or both.

Last edited:
Well I still had nothing until I looked at "ships" menu and selected "AIS targets."

I unchecked the box that said "suppress anchored, moored targets... "

And then I got a good match with the Aquamap readout.

I'll take a look tomorrow when things are moving. Probably one of the earlier fixes worked, but the only targets I had tonight were stationary.

Thanks loads for your help. I'll do a separate string for the GPS if I need to.

Attachments

• OpenCPN problem-4.jpg
    OpenCPN problem-4.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 31
  • OpenCPN problem-5.jpg
    OpenCPN problem-5.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 26
  • AIS AquaMap.jpg
    AIS AquaMap.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom