Add genset to Camano 31?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Souvenir

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Has anyone added a generator to a Camano Troll 31'? Considering a 1999 model, but it currently has no generator. Just wondering what this might cost and what kind of difficulties I might encounter. Thanks -

Attachments

• 9381889L.jpg
    9381889L.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 24
  • 9381891L.jpg
    9381891L.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
As noted in the old threads, some Camano 31s have been fitted with generators. I used to own a Mainship Pilot 34 that had the NexGen 3.5kW, one of the smallest marine diesel engine generators.

The generator with sound shield costs about $8,000. Professional installation, another $2-3K.

Realize that this generator is permanently installed with sea water cooling like the propulsion engine. Honda, Yamaha, etc air cooled generators cannot be used below deck, only on the bow or swim platform.

David

As noted in the old threads, some Camano 31s have been fitted with generators. I used to own a Mainship Pilot 34 that had the NexGen 3.5kW, one of the smallest marine diesel engine generators.

The generator with sound shield costs about $8,000. Professional installation, another $2-3K.

Realize that this generator is permanently installed with sea water cooling like the propulsion engine. Honda, Yamaha, etc air cooled generators cannot be used below deck, only on the bow or swim platform.

David

This is the correct answer. About $10K installed. One problem is that the Camano Troll is a small boat and a genset takes up a lot of room.

I suggest talking to a boat yard that installs gensets. Also, check these Camano specific groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CamanoCruisers

Camano Pacific Owners • Index page

Thanks for all the input.
Current owner says they use a 2kw Honda generator to run AC while at anchor. But ideal solution would be to install a permanent diesel generator.

Camano Generator

I have a 2005 with a Mastervolt 3.5 KW generator. This was installed new at the builder. Mastervolt no longer makes generators but a company called Whisper Power now makes these generators and they look identical but are supposedly an improved model with variable speed.

https://www.whisperpower.com/4/2/products/generators-ac-variable-speed.html

The Next Gen as others have posted will also fit. Beyond that I’m not aware of any other brand that will fit.

The Mastervolt had some problems, particularly with the oil pressure sensors which had to be replaced multiple times. Now the Kubota OC 60 engine that powers it has seized up so I have to determine how (or if) I would replace it.

Mastervolt had no support network in the US but Whisper Power supposedly does so they are probably worth comparing to the Next Gen.

Attachments

• 937E628E-637D-4A15-876E-967E380340C4.jpg
    937E628E-637D-4A15-876E-967E380340C4.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom