34’ Mainship 1979 mk1 raw water strainers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimclif

Vessel Make
34’ Mainship mk1
Hi, I just joined TF since I just purchased this Mainship 34’. Quick question: is it necessary or a good idea to install raw water strainers for geni and motor? The motor was replaced in the early 90s with a 250hp Cummins with 1036hrs. Thanks, Jim

Welcome aboard. Yes you should have a strainer on the intake. I am surprised that you don’t have them. Maybe the PO removed them.

Yeah, I thought that also but, I found out some just don’t have them. It survived over thirty years without strainers. That’s why I’m asking. ��

Does it have an external strainer? Some people are satisfied with these as an alternate. It really depends on the environment where you operate, some places have lots of grass or marine life to screen out, other places it just isn't an issue.

Jim
Welcome aboard TF and a MS owner too.
Lots of past present MS owners & info here.
I agree w others as my 2008 34HT has strainers on all thruhull inlets except the head. I've had several instances where baskets & inlet piping were clogged with weeds, grass, etc. Its a pain cleaning them but nowhere near pulling / replacing impellers etc.

Thank you all- glad to be in this forum. Very helpful information. Yes, I do have external screens and I am assuming they will be sufficient for my area. Mostly sand not too much sea grass or seaweed. I guess I’ll find out this spring. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom