25’ Gillikan Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmk2000

Hey everyone,
So I’m dreaming here but I see some serious potential in an early 70’s 25’ Gillian trawler. I’m thinking of converting it to a compact pocket trawler. It’s a wood over glass boat. The hull and superstructure are rock solid. The back decks already been ripped out because it had a few soft spots. The guys selling because he needs to get rid of projects. He’s asking 6k for it with a running 671 naturally aspirated Detroit Diesel. I’m thinking I might be able to switch to a smaller diesel since I don’t need all that power. Was formerly a shrimp boat. Does anyone have any thoughts? First off I know I’ll have to put some money in it which I totallly understand and am willing and I think my wife might be onboard with it too. I’m a retired Coastie with over 20 years Diesel experience and am very handy. Here’s some pics to get the juices flowing.

Attachments

• 58400853-1D1C-4D65-8561-4BEB40C7B5B4.jpg
    58400853-1D1C-4D65-8561-4BEB40C7B5B4.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 6BB22A7F-D848-4571-9C94-82029A37559C.jpg
    6BB22A7F-D848-4571-9C94-82029A37559C.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 3D166993-3522-43C0-86C7-92E63ADB2D10.jpg
    3D166993-3522-43C0-86C7-92E63ADB2D10.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 28
It seems to be water tight in the second picture. If you're looking for a project boat, find an old fiberglass sailboat. There have been a thread or 2 on the conversion to a small cruiser. At least fiberglass dosen't rot.

Ted

True but the shear line and such just caught my attention. There’s also something about wood boats… call me crazy I guess

True but the shear line and such just caught my attention. There’s also something about wood boats… call me crazy I guess

Ok, your crazy. If the plan is to make it a trawler (as opposed to a planing hull), a 15 to 30 HP outboard would push it very nicely and save a ton of weight.

Ted

I love it! I knew this would stir the mental juices. MVWelbles I totally get your point but it’s a financial thing. I think I could get this boat and it’s a blank slate in a price range that I can work with. OC DIVER to the sailboat conversion idea, I’ve seen those and they are cool but again there’s something that I can’t explain about with it. The idea of ditching the running DD 6-71 is already in my brain. I was thinking a 30-50 HP Beta would be a good fit if I don’t have to change much of the running gear. Please continue with the comments I really appreciate it. If I’m crazy for entertaining the thought so be it. It’ll be a labor of love I’m sure and taking it on would probably be more expensive but the lines and the potential and the fact it’s a complete blank slate are hard to ignore.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a pocket trawler to fix up look for a Permacraft 26 trawler or motorsailer, not the sail boat. Normally a Perkins 4 cylinder
The boat you are looking at is worth zero

Last edited:
Bump…. I’m thinking a 40-50 hp diesel might be a good fit for the trawler conversion. Do you think that’s good? Thoughts, should I go bigger?

Why take on the added expense of a new engine ? The current engine runs and you are going to be spending a bunch of money ( and time ) in other places on the boat. If you insist on doing the engine, at least do it last so you will know what the other costs are.

Are you kidding me? Looks like about a foot of "sweet water" in the hull JUST ROTTING AWAY THE PLYWOOD. Have had a number of "glass over wood" boats. OK back in the 50-60s. Nothing there looks worth the trouble to haul it away. Sorry, a big "DON'T DO IT"

Putting a 671 in that boat, to be used as a cruising boat would be just plain silly IMHO. 30-50 hp, no more than 65 or so would be PLENTY of power to move it at hull speed (but not planing speed). Buy it with the intent on selling the 671, or offer him less (like no more than $1k) for the boat without the engine. Does the engine include the gear, shaft, and prop?
I agree that if I were to go off the deep end and start a project like this, I would at least start with a glass boat to begin with. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

Last edited:
PierreR I don’t think it’s worth $0.
Ok then, he needs to pay to have you haul it away.
That is not a trawler and the 671 will likely make the boat unstable. I have built enough boats to know what I am looking at.

Putting a 671 in that boat, to be used as a cruising boat would be just plain sill IMHO. 30-50 hp, no more than 65 or so would be PLENTY of power to move it at hull speed (but not planing speed). Buy it with the intent on selling the 671, or offer him less (like no more than $1k) for the boat without the engine. Does the engine include the gear, shaft, and prop?
I agree that if I were to go off the deep end and start a project like this, I would at least start with a glass boat to begin with. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

Thankyou Slowgoesit for something other than negative. I do plan on paying less or walking away from it. I appreciate your feedback. I’m not scared of a project. Just wanted other’s opinions to see if I was out in left field. There’s good and bad in everything and it’s all in the eyes of the beholder. Some are willing to take on more than others. The sale does include the shaft, rudder, 2 wheels, and some other things. Thanks again and happy new year

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom