$1 and a Dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don L

Guru
Ever buy a lottery ticket and while waiting for the drawing go dreaming of what boat you would buy when you win?

If you only wanted to cruise with you wife/husband/partner ( maybe a 1 crew to do cleaning etc.) what boat would you chose.

Post a link if possible so all can enjoy the dream fantasy

My starting point would be Fleming. And then look at others and see how they compare to Fleming.

Honestly I would probably take the boat I'm in. 1979 albin 36. But because I would the money it would a 100% new EVERYTHING.

Single engine and I would have a bow thruster. Everything would be NEW.

I can take this boat anywhere single handed. And not worrying about things is the piece of mind we all want to achieve.

Would love to have company but my past showed me nobody cares about you except you. Of course my family loves me but my significant other thought otherwise when I got sick. So good riddance to her.

What is the dream? Wake up when you want and point your finger on a map and go. Make a couple calls to the family on my whereabouts and just go. That's why I'm installing AIS. Matter of fact,,, I'm actually mounting the unit now.

Thankfully I'm very pleased with what I have, and don't know of any boat that I would prefer.

We have been continuously looking for something better than what we have now for the past 7 years

Specific needs being No sleeping downstairs near hot ER so a top deck penthouse bedroom opening onto a private balcony like we enjoy now.

Nothing found so it would be a build
And I would base it on an aluminium commercial ferry catamaran

Something like this would be a likely contender.
IMG_5820_w800.jpg

Note the tender storage.

Last edited:
We have been continuously looking for something better than what we have now for the past 7 years

Specific needs being No sleeping downstairs near hot ER so a top deck penthouse bedroom opening onto a private balcony like we enjoy now.

Nothing found so it would be a build
And I would base it on an aluminium commercial ferry catamaran

Something like this would be a likely contender.
IMG_5820_w800.jpg

Note the tender storage.

Is that an elevator for the tender? That would be really nice.

Is that an elevator for the tender? That would be really nice.

Yep
Several of their boats have full height platforms
Tender up high, down to water and platform a metre underwater.

Don L;1187118 If you only wanted to cruise with you wife/husband/partner ( maybe a 1 crew to do cleaning etc.) what boat would you chose. [/QUOTE said:
dial back to a dream

The one we've got now seems to be working well - :)

If we won the lotto, I would just hire the work instead of DIY. Move to a nicer marina too. Have a larger fridge and air conditioner installed. Yeah, that stuff.

Ever buy a lottery ticket and while waiting for the drawing go dreaming of what boat you would buy when you win?

If you only wanted to cruise with you wife/husband/partner ( maybe a 1 crew to do cleaning etc.) what boat would you chose.

Post a link if possible so all can enjoy the dream fantasy

Nice dream. Today I'm in the mood for a Krogen Express:

https://krogenexpress.com

Uhh...two dollars. But save your money; I'm already holding Tuesday's winner.

I'd be very tempted to recover the boat I sold last year.

Attachments

• AMY2 - Copy.jpg
    AMY2 - Copy.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I'd be very tempted to recover the boat I sold last year.

But on reflection, I recall I sold it because it was simply too much boat for a 78 year old man who was often single-handing.

So, the new dream would be a summer house with dock in the San Juans and a nice speedy "picnic boat", 28 feet-or-so for nostalgic local trips...maybe to Garrison Bay, Sucia, Montague, or the Saturday Market in Ganges with wife and friends...or solo.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
amazing how we evolve. Going for greater creature comforts (bigger boat) followed by a return to basics as we age.

Plan B

Just saw it in Fiji during our South Pacific crossing, very cool expedition yacht.

Attachments

• IMG_9152.jpeg
    IMG_9152.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
amazing how we evolve. Going for greater creature comforts (bigger boat) followed by a return to basics as we age.

I consider the standard that the average 2nd world house to have to be a suitable minimum comfort level to have on a boat that you intend to live and cruise permanently.

I'm amazed how many boat owners are prepared to accept less

Krogen 68

I love my KK, so something from their line.

I would like a Kadey-Krogen 68.

if not any available in great condition then 2nd best.

Next a KK-48 AE.

Fun dreaming.

Alfa Mike

The one we've got now seems to be working well - :)

If we won the lotto, I would just hire the work instead of DIY.

THIS ABOVE! We've spend the last two years outfitting her for how we want to cruise. I'd hate to start all over again with another boat . . .

But then again, we might need several boats, for different areas . . . :dance:

Last edited:
Go back and forth between a long, lean and light Al like an Arksen or a brick outhouse like a Northern Marine.
Even as mom and pop would want at least 2 heads, 3 staterooms (hot bunking on passage sucks and would probably add permanent crew when we get older) and no need for genset(s) to be running when at anchor. So would customize both.

https://www.arksen.com/
https://northernmarine.com/current-models/

Would pick the models under or around 20 meters so finding places to berth and leave to land travel as well as go on the hard for servicing would be easier. Bigger isn’t always better. Avoid being owned by your possessions.

Last edited:
I'm torn on this one. I can think of plenty of boats I'd love to have, but due to family history with it, I'd have a very hard time getting rid of our current boat. So the answer might be to keep the current boat and spend a few hundred grand on a heavy refit (diesel repower, stabilizers, fix everything, other systems upgrades, a nice hard top, etc.).

I would look hard at a 48' Krogen and then look for a Seaton.

Of course, I might be distracted by others along the way.

Big enough for a couple guests but small enough to go to the "small places".

THIS ABOVE! We've spend the last two years outfitting her for how we want to cruise. I'd hate to start all over again with another boat . . .

But then again, we might need several boats, for different areas . . . :dance:

Best answer and the one that I feel a more likely outcome. Of course you can always be enjoying one while upgrading the other. Snowbird boater. :dance:

Unless I was able to successfully convince myself that I actually WOULD go world cruising(as opposed to just wanting to), I'd have to say Fleming 58.

I'd probably stick with my 38. At most trade up one notch

BUT, what I would do is find the right guy to put on salary to maintain the boat. Keep it detailed, maintain all fluids, keep a check on all systems, deal with yards and vendors for any work. Basically free me to step aboard and cruise.

Boy, so many thoughts on this discussion.

FWT: You're right, I had almost the identical initial thought -- I'd keep the boat we have now, I just need to hire somebody to maintain it. Somebody to knock out my entire to-do list, all 46 items, and then I could start fresh. (Last weekend I found out the marina mis-wired the batteries and my skinny son had to squeeze under the salon floor to fix it while I held the flashlight in my mouth and talked him through it. He accidentally touched the wrench across two battery contacts, big 4th of July sparks, I thought I had killed him for sure.) I've talked to my father about flying a general boat tech up from Florida for a week or two but I've never been able to pull that off -- plus even if I did, there are no marine parts stores here so everything has to be mail-ordered.

AlaskaProf: Not if I buy your former boat first. I still think about that boat from time to time, but it's still ridiculously impractical to drag it over the Rockies. But that's the look of the boat I want -- something to do the "Big U."

Serene: Ahh, that "Bandanna" sure is a beautiful boat.

But if we're dreaming -- and after all the MegaMillions is over a billion dollars now (gross, not net of course), then (1) - if I'm running it myself, I'd go with this one:

https://seatonyachts.com/seaton-yachts/seaton-expedition-and-voyager-designs/

But then (2) if I can hire crew, then one of these. I'm a traditionalist, love the classic look. I have no use for those goofy looking, swoopie Star-Trekkie modern superyachts.

https://www.turquoiseyachts.com/yacht/blue-ii

Back
Top Bottom