Thread: New prop
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Phuket
Veteran Member

New prop

I have not been able to post for a while....our computer went funny and progressively I could not post, then could not log on, then google crashed it every time I used it.....some nasty virus I guess.* Reformatted the C drive and now it works again.*

Weekend before last I put the new left hand turning prop on, 26" diameter, by beaching the boat again.* I did not really test it that weekend as I was too busy ripping out framing for wheelhouse floor.* Floor is done now and I can stand up and the kids can hang out on bean bags so all happy.

This past weekend I got the*engine oil and gear oil coolers connected and plumbed in and also hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge so felt a little more confident to push the engine and test the new prop.

It is over propped, max RPM WOT is 2000 (rated 2500).* But cruising speed seems good and*I*understand enough *to not overload the engine by considering 1700 as my max RPM.* At 1500 RPM she averaged a little over 6.5 in a three hour cruise on Sunday towing a 22 foot Panga fibreglass boat behind.* At times we had 7.8 knots on the GPS with the current but never less than 6 knots going the other way against the current.* So I think I wil leave it like this for now and run with it for a few months.

Went to a local island and sat on a mooring for the day.* The kids fished and played on the boat while I got busy doing some wiring and rigging up an oil pressure alarm and alternator charge light/exciter - oh and drank a few beers and ate chicken as well as the odd dive over the side to cool off.

Only downside to the weekend was when our new camera went for a swim as my five year old and two year old struggled over it.....oops.

Cheers, Leon.
Phuket is offline   Reply With Quote