View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 06:09 AM   #17
FF
Guru

"Hull, engine, aux., electric/nav/comm., deck equipment, survival, standard accommodation, food storage."

To me the key would be the parts selection for quality and long life not initial price.

Industrial grade engine & tranny, mostly commercial not yacht grade equipment but the key would be in the design.

With a big budget I would use a Navy style tandem tranny with a NA diesel as power and the noisemaker as backup. CCP for propulsion.

The fuel tanks would have a bailable sump and I would still install a fuel centrifuge and a day tank.

The toilet would be RV head mounted over the tank.

Ships AC electric would come from a hyd pump on the main as well as a pump on the noisemaker.

The noisemaker would have a hyd prop , as well as a hyd motor to run the shaft with a chain drive, if not on a tandem tranny.

Boat hoist, windlass ,BIG bilge pump and other goodies would also use hyd.

Refrigeration,freezer would use eutetic plates , set for 4 days between power needs.

Sun covers fore and aft would be in the initial concept from the NA, and the boat would ventilate well with no power requirements.

Hand rails and grips would be in any open space you do not care to fly across.

Std flopper stoppers require little maint , stabilizing fins in addition if the budget allows.

The stabilizers would be installed as bilge keels ,not fins so the boat could live in high tidal areas easily.

If the vessel were larger the engine room would be forward as best use of space.

Even industrial diesels are light enough today to gain the space advantages of a Fwd ER.

There would be little extra expense or complication as a CCP has a thrust bearing in a normal install.

A few ideas to chew on. Have fun.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote