Old 06-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #61
sdowney717
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
We have used PC based navigation for over 12 years. Won't suggest it is the best but we have learned a few tricks over the I would like to pass on. Given the cheapness of low end computers today we totally dedicate the navigation computer to navigation. There is only the operating system and the navigation program. Nothing else not even a web browser. Currently we are using a net top from Asus. Price around $300. Connected to a sunlight viewable monitor.
Same idea for me. My nav computer is a modified desktop PC running Linux Mint and OpenCPN with Cmap and NOAA ENC charts, and a USB GPS, LT-20, works fine. I have it connected to a 17 inch LCD monitor. I pilot from downstairs have dual stations, nothing but compass and depth sounder up top. In theory, I could have another display up on the flybridge sharing the desktop PC.

I mounted this PC under the chart table and the fridge is underneath the PC in the lower cabin. It is totally hidden. Advantage of an ATX motherboard with SATA drive is easy upgrades on hardware. I use a modded UPC to run the PC.

I mod everything, morph it to my use. That PC can also play music or watch videos, or connect to the net.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote