View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #98
bfloyd4445
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
They are very different boats in many ways. However, the fuel efficiency between the two is irrelevant. Here's why I'm saying that. When you consider the entire cost of owning and operating those two boats, the difference in fuel costs will be so insignificant in the total picture you won't even see it if you don't look carefully. Fuel for us is about 8% of our total costs, but let's say for a moment it's 10% for you. Then say there is a 20% difference between two boats. That means it impacts your cost of ownership by 2%.

If you were talking a Fountain vs. a KK then it would be significant.
I just keep thinking of plunking down $3500 bucks to fill the tank. I'm still in the go fast mode like your fountain. My Grady was fast and the tanks emptied in direct porportion to the speed. But then their is a diference between 6-7knts and 50+.....The tank full in either will last for 3,000 + miles
But your right, the fuel is a small item in the cost of ownership.
The truth is between a kk and a Nordhavn there is no"better", they both are fine boats and either will do the job even if very slowly

My number one concern is safety and comfort at sea for two three weeks and either will do that. There's a broker in Seattle that wants me to drop by and go out with him and maybe i should do that. He is a kk dealer i think and like's the 39
Theirs another in Washington that tells me kk's are no good they have water intrusion issues and a Nordhavn or Selene is the way to go.
To be honest i would rather just buy from an owner direct.