Camano 31 - bigger engine, bigger bow thruster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhance

Vessel Name
Audrey Grace
Vessel Make
2003 Camano 31
Curious if anyone has installed a larger engine and/or a larger bow thruster or stern thruster on a Camano? I am thinking about upgrading to the most powerful thrusters humanly possible and an eventual engine replacement. I know I'll have to increase the tube most likely.

Curious if anyone has installed a larger engine and/or a larger bow thruster or stern thruster on a Camano? I am thinking about upgrading to the most powerful thrusters humanly possible and an eventual engine replacement. I know I'll have to increase the tube most likely.

Larger engine than what?

What's the current WOT speed?

Current thruster is a 5HP Keypower. It's fine and work unless the wind starts blowing. Engine is a TAMD41P-A 200hp. I wonder if the new D4 or D6 Volvos would fit a Camano engine room? Currently cruising speed is 7.5 knots at 2300 RPM, 10 knots at 3000 RPM, and about 12-14 knots at 3600 RPM WOT.

Last edited:
I don't know if more power is a good idea. At full speed on plane I remember our Camano was a little squirrely. Our 2005 had the TAMD41, but that year they offered a D4 as an option.

Increasing the engine power would be very expensive and I think the benefit would be marginal. I'd increase the bow thruster to the most you can fit in the existing tunnel and then add a stern thruster to match.

Current thruster is a 5HP Keypower. It's fine and work unless the wind starts blowing. Engine is a TAMD41P-A 200hp. I wonder if the new D4 or D6 Volvos would fit a Camano engine room? Currently cruising speed is 7.5 knots at 2300 RPM, 10 knots at 3000 RPM, and about 12-14 knots at 3600 RPM WOT.

You probably know the Camano is being built today, as a Helmsman 31. A Volvo D4 225 will fit a new one and apparently provide speeds comparable to what you have today. Faster speed isn't advisable since the boat begins to perform badly above 15 knots. Given the cost of refit it might be more economical to hunt for a used Helmsman 31. There are not many around.

The Helmsman 31' (Camano 31 plus 2,000 pounds) is beautiful - boarded one at Trawlerfest years ago, but appears to ride lower in the water, and in the pictures I've seen appear to throw a huge bow wake at higher speeds. The more powerful engines like some D4s and the D6 would probably comparable in weight to the TAMD41, and have lower speed handling comparable to the Camano/TAMD41. Look at Helmsman's pictures and other source videos of the H31', and see for yourself.

I had my Camano over 15kt once, and the handling was surprisingly bad/scary. I was empty on water, probably 3/4 full on fuel, new bottom paint. I checked out hydraulics, etc., to see what might have made the handling so awful, found no mechanical cause. So, I don't know if going for more power and speed is a great idea for a semi-displacement hull with a 25% displacement torpedo shaped deep keel - good luck with that. The wind resistance at speed is not exactly slippery, either - in no way designed for speed.

I love my Camano - so "form fits function" as a small coastal trawler, timeless nautical heritage look, great engine, etc. If I wanted more speed I think I'd trade for a Rum Runner Mainship type design, what some people call a "picnic boat" - faster with bigger single engine or twin diesels, but without the cabin space, long cruise comfort of the Camano - completely different function might require a completely different design below the waterline.

For cruising around the awesome inland rivers and sounds of North Carolina, the deep keel/skeg protected prop, pretty stable, very livable for moderate duration cruises Camano is a well balanced, flexible cruising boat. Not a very good fishing boat (exhaust, casting room, keel, etc), not fuel efficient above 8 knots, not a lot of other things, but perfect for our needs. Thanks, Bob Warman!

By the way, Camano ICW cruisers, take a detour and visit Edenton, Elizabeth City, Belhaven, Bath, New Bern, Oriental, Ocracoke, Washington NC, etc. Lovely smaller towns, some pre-revolutionary, most have low slip rates, ample anchoring grounds nearby, not crowded, great food, cruisers welcome. Prefer something more remote? Try Rose Bay - as close to untouched in 400 years as you can find. Perfect Camano cruising waters!

Camano performance

I have a 2001 Camano with same setup. I have the exact performance figures on my engine. I've read that the Volvo should get to 3900 rpm I've never seen higher than 3650 rpm. I was getting ready to pull my injectors and check them until i read your post. I'll run 3100-3200 rpm if I have a beam sea to reduce the rolling. I did hit 18 to 20 knts sliding down swells on Lake Michigan it did get hard to handle when I out ran the swell felt like rudder was too small. I've never felt like the bow thruster was too small, I have no idea the duty cycle on the bow thruster.
Paul

Chatting with Roger Drill during the recent delivery of my Helmsman 38 Sedan, he pointed out some of the recent changes the company made to their 31 (previously Camano 31) - an offset double berth instead of the previous V bunk; a separate stall shower instead of the previous wet head; and a hardtop over the cockpit.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/helmsman-trawlers/31-sedan/

Those all strike me as very nice improvements that should make the boat more comfortable. I haven’t been aboard a Helmsman 31, but the updates sound thought through and meaningful. I think the power is the same 225 hp diesel.

Chatting with Roger Drill during the recent delivery of my Helmsman 38 Sedan, he pointed out some of the recent changes the company made to their 31 (previously Camano 31) - an offset double berth instead of the previous V bunk; a separate stall shower instead of the previous wet head; and a hardtop over the cockpit.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/helmsman-trawlers/31-sedan/

Those all strike me as very nice improvements that should make the boat more comfortable. I haven’t been aboard a Helmsman 31, but the updates sound thought through and meaningful. I think the power is the same 225 hp diesel.

I bet those changes will be popular ...I agree, very nice improvements...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom