Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
City: Mississippi
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 199
Yep, love the smaller boats. Our first was a 26' CC Cavalier cruiser. Plenty of room for two 28 yr olds back then. But now 34 yrs later we are planning for the loop, and with two married children and many, many good friends - all of whom will be spending weeks/months with us on the loop. Now, bigger is better, ie two, or three cabins, two heads, covered sundeck.....
__________________
Advertisement

FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #82
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,887
and room to store lots more than the basics....
__________________

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #83
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,178
Does the Camano have a wet head? If so, that would be a deal breaker for me.
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #84
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 2008
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Does the Camano have a wet head? If so, that would be a deal breaker for me.
If the Camano has one stall shower and one wet head, I would encourage you to disable the shower in the wet head. (take the shower head and hose off, hide them or lose them over the side.) If your guest do not like it, they dont have to go with you. Wet heads are a bear to clean and your guests will never clean it to your standards.
__________________
I used to be a news junkie until I found this place.
Sooo, what's happening in the world and local news?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #85
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,262
Even a dedicated shower stall is a headache, but less than a wet head.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #86
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 2008
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Even a dedicated shower stall is a headache, but less than a wet head.
Ah yup still a headache but you gotta shower somewhere if you go out in public. If the dog and or cat refuse to sit with you, time to shower. LOL
__________________
I used to be a news junkie until I found this place.
Sooo, what's happening in the world and local news?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #87
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Yep, love the smaller boats. Our first was a 26' CC Cavalier cruiser. Plenty of room for two 28 yr olds back then. But now 34 yrs later we are planning for the loop, and with two married children and many, many good friends - all of whom will be spending weeks/months with us on the loop. Now, bigger is better, ie two, or three cabins, two heads, covered sundeck.....
We make a lot of five foot itis or whatever we choose to call it. However, much of the changes in sizes are simply a matter of going through life stages. Small is good to start. Then we seem to need more. Then it seems we reach the point that returning to smaller makes sense. We do the same in houses. Most of us start in apartments and then when we're old many return to condos.

I only hit as high as 30' on my fifth boat.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #88
Senior Member
 
City: Pembroke
Country: Canada
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 146
The original Camano had a wet head...
The new Helmsman redesign has a dry head with vanity and a totally separate shower stall.
Durant F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #89
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Country: usa
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,690
Confused, Our boat has what you folks are calling a 'Wet Head' I guess, as the two, commode and shower share the same space. Our walls are formica, after a shower, a simple wipe down of the walls no more than a minute one would suppose, and check to see that the t/paper remained dry which is the case due to location. No big deal on the
'Slo~Belle', in fact another attribute to our boat when space utilization is in play.
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #90
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,262
A dedicated shower stall requires less wiping down of various surfaces such as the toilet as well as cleaning-solution containers handily kept aside a "dry" toilet.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #91
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Confused, Our boat has what you folks are calling a 'Wet Head' I guess, as the two, commode and shower share the same space. Our walls are formica, after a shower, a simple wipe down of the walls no more than a minute one would suppose, and check to see that the t/paper remained dry which is the case due to location. No big deal on the
'Slo~Belle', in fact another attribute to our boat when space utilization is in play.
Wifey B: Wet heads work fine for many but given a choice, most would choose dry. I choose separate shower and must be sized for two.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #92
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Country: usa
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
A dedicated shower stall requires less wiping down of various surfaces such as the toilet as well as cleaning-solution containers handily kept aside a "dry" toilet.
Well Woopie Do!!
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:39 PM   #93
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Well Woopie Do!!
Wifey B: Whoopie Do Do might be more like it. A wet shower makes it very difficult for one person to use a toilet while another showers.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:52 PM   #94
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Country: usa
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Whoopie Do Do might be more like it. A wet shower makes it very difficult for one person to use a toilet while another showers.
Yal I sort of snickered at Markpiece's objection to a smigen of physical labor, yet with a smile yet on my face reading you, the immediate thought is " what are the odds?"

Anyway guys, I am fortunate to have escaped the level of civilization allowing me to either piss over the side, or use the deck bucket and dump it over the side or wait til the head being used as a shower stall is free. small things, that are accomplished without a huge amount of thought.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:54 PM   #95
Veteran Member
 
Country: E PA, Usa
Vessel Model: Albin 27 fc
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 36
You can check out the revamped now Helmsman/camano31 here
http://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/31-camano/
They have address many of the complaints/issues
Galley is now up
Leaving room for separate shower stall
And a bunch of other changes.
But no side doors.....but keeps boat dry ,
but this is a 27' lwl boat ! 28' OD
So for the size it's a lot of boat. I can't justify buying new but this would be on a short list....
Cheers Warren
You can read more here
http://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/wp-c...-pages-1-4.pdf
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #96
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Country: usa
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,690
Seriously, all snide remarks aside, the Helmsman is an outstanding example of space use. In all regards, given the funding, it would be this or a 37 Lord Nelson.
Regards
Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #97
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 2008
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Seriously, all snide remarks aside, the Helmsman is an outstanding example of space use. In all regards, given the funding, it would be this or a 37 Lord Nelson.
Regards
Al-Ketchikan
Here's your opportunity for a Lord Nelson tug.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dumas-1225-...YAAOSwhDBZ5ziY

This next is a bit more expensive.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983...s#.WilzSLaZMWo
__________________
I used to be a news junkie until I found this place.
Sooo, what's happening in the world and local news?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
City: Pembroke
Country: Canada
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 146
Al.... I agree...
While a separate shower is nice, it too requires being “wiped down” to look good.
My southern sailboat has a wet head and it’s not a big deal.
I remember wet heads being total luxury after sun heated shower bags in the cockpit...
I’m glad I have the shower...but a larger storage compartment in that space wouldn’t have been a deal breaker for me.
PS...
Best of the season to everyone.
Merry Christmas !
Durant F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #99
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Country: usa
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Here's your opportunity for a Lord Nelson tug.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dumas-1225-...YAAOSwhDBZ5ziY

This next is a bit more expensive.

1983 Lord Nelson Victory Tug Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
O 'Lordy" (Pun) were that on the West Coast, there is one for 109,000 in Seattle area, and so darn tempted, however, at age 80 and a current 'Perfect' boat in hand, I have to face reality choosing the model over the actual!!
Thanks, good humor post
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #100
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 2008
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
O 'Lordy" (Pun) were that on the West Coast, there is one for 109,000 in Seattle area, and so darn tempted, however, at age 80 and a current 'Perfect' boat in hand, I have to face reality choosing the model over the actual!!
Thanks, good humor post
That is not a model. It is a 'slightly smaller in size LN. Some assembly required.

Yup, anyone that proclaims, 'growing old is fun', has never grown old.
I will be coming up on 75. Good to see you still doing the boating dance.

Interestedly, there isn't really much to LN tug. Simplicity at its finest.
__________________

__________________
I used to be a news junkie until I found this place.
Sooo, what's happening in the world and local news?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012