Old 11-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #21
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: water jet bow and stern thrusters

Marin
It appears that I owe you dinner tomorrow night after that glowing statement. However, we might have to make the change from French cuisine to French Fries, considering the high cost of diesel these days.

As long as we're talking thrusters, I'd like to point out that I have used mine, and will again. One situation where I have used it is with wind or current trying to push my bow off while landing. My thruster is rather small, and is often not up to competition with wind, so any of you contemplating a thruster would be advised to err on the side of too large, rather than too small.

My final notes on this thread would be that from my perspective, I'd prefer a hydraulic thruster if I already had a hydraulic pump, or maybe if I had other uses for one, such as a hydraulic crane motor. Hydraulics are not as obnoxiously noisy, and you can run them longer, which you might need with a stiff breeze. They also don't require all that battery power. As to the original question concerning the water jet thrusters, I have never known anyone who had such a system, but one thought that comes to mind is what would power that system, be it hydraulic or electric? Bottom line is I too would rather have some sort of thruster than none.

-- Edited by Carey at 17:07, 2007-11-23

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
water jet bow and stern thrusters

Hello,
Carey, after you cook the french fries, you can burn the oil-what a greenie....

RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #23
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

RTF
*** ** Whose the greenie? I didn't think of that. Good idea!
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:03 AM   #24
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I have a bow thruster, use it and love it with my single engine Krogen. However, I've got to say that I still pilot the boat as a single, and the thruster is a little "lagniappe" or extra. Don't come to rely on your thruster(s) otherwise you'll forget how to handle that single... when the thruster dies on you, you'll be in trouble!

Also, someone mentioned hydraulics. No doubt I'd install that type with all kinds of hydraulic equipment if I were building a new boat. However, if you're stuck with installing an electric, Wesmar makes a continuous duty series of thrusters now that will run all day if you give them power. You'll exhaust your batteries before the thruster will quit. They came out with them about a week after I installed mine!!! Dammit.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:47 AM   #25
Scraping Paint

water jet bow and stern thrusters

So to get back to the question:

It seems like there are only 2 manufacturers of jet bow thrusters, namely Veth and Omnithrusters. These guys make a rotational/directional jet thruster.

The only company that I can find that uses small hoses with nozzles at bow and stern is the one I mentioned previously: Willdo.

The WillDo system is the only one that is affordable (about $7500 US for Willdo and $84.000 US for Omnithruster and probably the same for Veth) so this will be the type that I will compare against a normal hydraulic thruster.

Is there any system similar to WillDo to compare it against or is this product just to new?

Regards Singleprop
Singleprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

If you're dealing with a true "thruster", such as the ones used on jet skis, the discharge MUST be in air in that it's the old E = MV squared routine.* The velocity must be high to get the efficient thrust that the jet skis operate with.* Thrusters, such as the ones that we're all familiar with, operate on high mass, low velocity (relatively speaking) to provide the resultant motion.

Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote