Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: Pensacola
Forklift,
Thanks for the great idea ! Exactly why I Posted here, good ideas with no acrimony! Didn't even need a pull bar. Was able to grab enough torque on the lower drive pully and turn through a full compression cycle. Pistons went up and down and aux drive shaft to raw water turned smooth also. Was able to duplicate also on port engine So I am hopeful I am out of the woods as far as a seized or damaged piston or cylinder. Oil looks fantastic also. I'm hopeful it will be a straight pull and replace and be back in business.
Will report how the install goes when I get the new parts.

Looking good so far?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #22
Per
Guru

BH - I do admire your optimism!
I'd be interested in hearing more about the "ghost" auto shut down.
I have similar fire protection in my ER and it might make sense if the shutdown is combined.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #23
Guru

Thanks Per. I think Optimism is a common trait among those if us who choose to play and live by the sea!

I am trying to figure out how it shut down and this is what was suggested to me. If as Rick states, I do not have a shut down, and I have no damage to my motor, and I shut down, then some thing caused it.. I like to know more because I dont believe in ghosts!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #24
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I talked to the shop a little before five and they said by monday I should have the pump. My mechanic seemed to have dumped about 2 gallons of oil in the bilge, suprise suprise. Been cleaning that all evening. Up and running sooner than later. Do you have a damper in the intake? BH.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Mine cutoff in the fairway two weeks ago... It was a throttle cable out of adjustment. :-)
Old 07-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #26
Guru

Swampu, use DAWN it cuts the oil.. big time..

Gonzo, could be the answer. I did recently change the injection pump like less than 20 minutes of engine run time
Old 08-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #27
Guru

Well finally got the parts and the Heat Exchanger removed and replaced. Totally corroded and root of the problem. Holding all coolant for now. Unfortunantely a Tropical storm/Hurricane is coming so I am pulling my boat out tomorrow before I can really sea trial it.. sea trial will be a dock manuever and short cruise to the haul out slip.. I will work them in a few days after this has passed. So far, no sign of head gasket issues or damage.... CANNOT find shutdown sensor.. Mech thinks RPM decayed and engine simply shut down or stalled when it failed to respond to my increase in gear/throttle could have been related to the fuel injection pump install that I also was sea trialing when it overheated.
no matter, so far purring solid perkins and new Heat Exchangers,, will report in a couple of days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exafter2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	12530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exafter1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	12531   Click image for larger version

Name:	EXafter.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	12532  
Old 08-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #28
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Where did you get the parts?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
Guru

Gonzo,
MESA engineering, Fairhope alabama. 'Mark' is the engineer. He is who I coordinated with. Top rate. I got the Bowman HX from TAD diesel. 'Shari' is who I worked with there. If anyone does this repair/replace, let me know there were some subtle "nuances" to contend with.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #30
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Well finally got the parts and the Heat Exchanger removed and replaced. Totally corroded and root of the problem. Holding all coolant for now. Unfortunantely a Tropical storm/Hurricane is coming so I am pulling my boat out tomorrow before I can really sea trial it.. sea trial will be a dock manuever and short cruise to the haul out slip.. I will work them in a few days after this has passed. So far, no sign of head gasket issues or damage.... CANNOT find shutdown sensor.. Mech thinks RPM decayed and engine simply shut down or stalled when it failed to respond to my increase in gear/throttle could have been related to the fuel injection pump install that I also was sea trialing when it overheated.
no matter, so far purring solid perkins and new Heat Exchangers,, will report in a couple of days.
Pretty :-)
Old 08-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #31
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Well finally got the parts and the Heat Exchanger removed and replaced. Totally corroded and root of the problem. Holding all coolant for now. ....................
----------------------------------

Nice job on the exhaust riser and elbow. Pricey but a good long term investment. Looking at your pic's, you're exhaust appears to be different than my 6.354's. Mine are 1976 are your's newer or Turbo's? Reason I'm asking is I will be ordering one from MESA and don't want to get the wrong one if there are different styles exhaust Risers.

Also is this you're heat exchanger?
NA001545 4" Diameter Flange 354 C.I.D. 6 Cyl
(Sendure# 1814-3-5)
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #32
Guru

Edelweiss,
My 6.354, are 1985 built. My Heat exchanger looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Echanger2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	12545   Click image for larger version

Name:	heat2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	12546  
Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #33
Guru

This could account for the huge differance in each of ours coolant capacity. This sucker took 4 gallons of coolant after pulling the HX and risers..

Mark will order what you need to fit. All he will need is the info you posted. I took a pic of what I had and needed from him and he made it happen. Yes it is a wise investment, I wont need to ever replace due to corrosion..
Old 08-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #34
Guru

Thanks Forklift.

I motored over for my haulout put about an hour on the motors between pump out and haul out and it all was good. Temps were awesome.. looking forward to running it and FINALLY using the boat.. now for this damn storm...
Old 08-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
This could account for the huge differance in each of ours coolant capacity. This sucker took 4 gallons of coolant after pulling the HX and risers..

Mark will order what you need to fit. All he will need is the info you posted. I took a pic of what I had and needed from him and he made it happen. Yes it is a wise investment, I wont need to ever replace due to corrosion..
====================================

That's what I thought when I saw your pics. Mine is a totally different setup both exhaust and heat exchanger, I'm glad I asked. Yeah same with the stainless exhaust manifolds he made for me. They look like the day they were made.

Thanks
Larry B
Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #36
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
====================================

That's what I thought when I saw your pics. Mine is a totally different setup both exhaust and heat exchanger, I'm glad I asked. Yeah same with the stainless exhaust manifolds he made for me. They look like the day they were made.

Thanks
Larry B
Larry, your manifolds and elbows probably look like min if you have the 6.354 naturals.... Below is a picture of them....not the best picture, but they are from MESA also. Mark there is good at what he does....and their workmanship is great.

The parts aren't cheap....but they are far less than original Perkins parts, which are no longer available....

Rob
Old 08-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #37
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Larry, your manifolds and elbows probably look like min if you have the 6.354 naturals.... Below is a picture of them....not the best picture, but they are from MESA also. Mark there is good at what he does....and their workmanship is great.

The parts aren't cheap....but they are far less than original Perkins parts, which are no longer available....

Rob

I know where I am going for parts.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post

Rob

Yes, exactly the same. I was thinking of painting them "gold" instead of Perkins blue though. I have a buddy with 6.354 n/a's and he keeps asking me when I'm going to repower with Cummins. I suspect he would like to salvage my manifolds?

Have you heard of anyone else other than MESA making them for the NA's. I haven't, other than a boatyard shops who threw one together in their shop. As they said, "It ain't pretty, but it will work just fine." I couldn't believe they even showed it to me. It was built like a Russian tank!!

LB
Old 08-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #39
Guru

LB,
I looked and TAD diesel still sells the manicooler but not the elbows. MESA is the only mfg I have found.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
LB,
I looked and TAD diesel still sells the manicooler but not the elbows. MESA is the only mfg I have found.
-------------------------------------------------

Yeah, TAD sells the Barr exhaust manicooler which will only attach to the Turbo 6.354 head. (look at the bolt pattern on the exhaust ports. . . it backwards and a couple of extra bolt holes) plus the outlet end is sized for a turbo, not an elbow. I guess those design changes were how Perkins kept people from slapping a turbo on a n/a engine.

Larry B
Attached Images

Closed Thread

Tags
elbow, exhaust, manifold, overheating, riser