Old 09-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Baker

Assuming you have Racors, it sounds like a normal pass through of water that the filters could not catch once they became saturated with too much water. Water then burned poorly and or damaged an injector.

In any event, change your filters at say 50 hours until problem gone. Remember the good old days of Mercedes diesels having a water drain, if you let it get too full, yup smoke appeared.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Baker Assuming you have Racors, it sounds like a normal pass through of water that the filters could not catch once they became saturated with too much water. Water then burned poorly and or damaged an injector. In any event, change your filters at say 50 hours until problem gone. Remember the good old days of Mercedes diesels having a water drain, if you let it get too full, yup smoke appeared.
I keep a very close eye on the Racors. Most of the issue was on the right engine and all injectors on that engine were replaced. The bowl on the left engine has been crystal clear(red) with no water. Now if you're saying that the water somehow made it past the Racor without showing in the bowl...then you got me there!

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #23
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Forkliftt use govenors to limit max RPM (seems some operators don't respect what max RPM should be). Old school diesel injector pumps operate the same. Today's LP engines RPM are controlled by an ECM, but prior to that most used a velocity (pancake) govenor bolted beneath the carburetor. As the engine RPM increased to max (usually 2200-2700) the flow of air of course increases. The govenor has a throttle plate of sorts in the airstream attached to an adjustable spring. The spring tries to close the plate, the movement of air tries to open the plate. Set point is achieved by adjusting spring pressure to overcome the air movement at the right speed.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
If you dragged you propellor disk thru a snow drift, guess what happened??? The propellor would slow down...underspeed governor would dump fuel in and if the load on the prop was still there, pieces of the engine would come out of the exhaust in molten form.
Seems odd, we flew the -11 and -12 versions in the snowy parts of Idaho, Montana and Utah but never had that problem.

The only issues I recall with overtemps were the rare hung start or what some called "super cruise" that fooled the SRL computer into thinking it was operating in a different regime than it really was.

Flying the tube was really paying dues wasn't it? Wouldn't trade the experience for anything but have no desire to repeat it. My first was a 226AT freighter with little 840HP -3s on a run from SEA-MSO-HLN-BIL. It sure beat the C-45 though.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post

Flying the tube was really paying dues wasn't it? Wouldn't trade the experience for anything but have no desire to repeat it. My first was a 226AT freighter with little 840HP -3s on a run from SEA-MSO-HLN-BIL. It sure beat the C-45 though.
SRL Computer???!!!!...I never would have remembered that if you would not have said it!!

The vast majority of my commuter experience was in a Fokker F27 and the SA227....no autopilot or flight director. When I went in for my Continental interview, they had us fly the DC9 simulator. A very basic profile that took about 20 mins. When we were done the "administrator" asked what kind of experience I come from...and I told him...and he said, "It shows!"..and then he went on to grumble about all the "kids" that come from Glass only airplanes and how they can't fly any more...hahahaha. They aren't supposed to say a word after those deals. I don't think I was more than 10ft or 1 degree off during that deal...those instruments were frozen. I had never flown a jet and will have to credit the DC9 for being a very fine flying aircraft!!! And I will say that I am nowhere near the pilot(stick and rudder) I used to be. We used to fly those bitches....and into god awful places where it was always a crosswind with braking action poor and 1/2 mile vis. Marquette Michigan is a perfect example of what I am talking about. 250+ inches of snow a year!!! By the end of the winter, we were landing in "canyons" with the plowed snow pushed up on each side of the runway and taxiways...it became surreal.

Anyway, back on topic and no more bragging...hahaha..... I am headed down to the boat to give it a start and see what kind of smoke comes out of that left engine.

It is funny...the wife and I are separated and she asks..."How's my half of the boat doing?". And I replied, "Your engine is ****ing up!!!"

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote