Lehman 120 rebuild or replace in 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Netherlands address

If you can't find them in the States I know a shop in the Netherlands that overhauls FL. Bought 2 x FL 27 15 e last year from them, are installed, work perfect.
Shipping cost should not be too steep from Europe to the US, so might be an option if you can't find anything. I paid 5000 euro a piece for them. That includes injectors, fuel pump and cylinder head. Everything else you will need to use from your old engine.

Hi Mambo,

I am in France and would much appreciate having the name and coordinates of that shop in the Netherlands. Thanks a bunch.

Another option.... RCD2 compliant.... the Nanni N4 115. They are rating 120hp@2600 rpms. KUBOTA basis (like the Beta) and marinated by Nanni !

I know a shop in the Netherlands that overhauls FL. Bought 2 x FL 27 15 e last year from them, are installed, work perfect.
Shipping cost should not be too steep from Europe to the US, so might be an option if you can't find anything. I paid 5000 euro a piece for them..

and who is that shop in the Netherlands....

TIA

Hi Mambo,

I am in France and would much appreciate having the name and coordinates of that shop in the Netherlands. Thanks a bunch.

Good evening,

Shop is called Motoren Revisie bedrijf De Schiffart,
De Opfeart 8
9047 KW Minnertsga
The Netherlands
Tel 00-31-518 471 791
Ask for Ronald, he speaks English and is the owner of the shop.

New Engine

New Engines are stupidly expensive given the average price of a 40 year old trawler. I was at the boat show in Vancouver and the recommended Beta engine replacement was a Beta 115 at $31,000.00 cdn. This included the transmission.

Pursuing used reconditioned Ford Lehman is probably the way to go although those Beta engines really look nice.

There are some used Lehmans on ebay.

You might try: https://salvagemarine.net/

Putting in another Lehman, everything fits, connects.

the Dutvhc company mentioned by mambo42 has 6 ford Lehman engines for sale now

I was at De Schiffart Yesterday to pick up some spare parts. Told Ronald he might get some phone calls, but he advised me that if you want to get in touch with him it is better to send an e-mail. They are very busy and he also is part of the crew, which means he does not sit in an office all day long. So it is possible he cannot answer the phone, therefore e-mail is the best option.

info@deschiffart.nl

While I was there I had some questions about the FL engines and got some interesting answers.

1. The best oil to use on an engine that needs to be run in is actually mineral oil with the specification ACEA E2. This oil has less dope than the newer oils and that means less glazing of the cylinder walls and piston rings. Also told me I can do about 500 hours with that oil, plus to run the engine at a higher rpm during the run in period (at least 1800 rpm).
Never knew that, but will take his word for it. So just got myself some Eurol Multifleet 15W-40 and will put that in the engines when we get back onboard.

2. Most of you probably know the following already, but I only knew that I had to drill a hole in the thermostat. However I never knew the real reason why i had to do that.
The reason for drilling a hole in the thermostat is to make sure that, if there is air in the system, the air will be able to get out. If there would be air in the cooling system before the thermostat it could prevent the thermostat from opening and thereby overheating the engine.

3. If you suspect a leakage on one of the injectors or on the fuel return line, disconnect the end of the return line (which comes out of the block). Then take an oil can (with pump) and put some oil on each and every point where the return line is welded, on the copper washers, bolts, basically every location where the fuel system can leak inside the engine and then take a small compressor, connect it to the end of the return line and put about 1 bar of pressure on that line. If there is anywhere a leak you will see the oil starting to bubble.

4. If you have a boat with a hull speed of around 8 kts and 2 engines it does not make any sense to run the engines at 2000 rpm only to find out that the only thing you do is burn fuel and get no speed.
I have velvet drives which means they will get lubrication even when the engine is not running, so I have decided to now make it standard to go on one engine and run that engine at around 1800 - 2000 rpm, at least during the remainder of the run in period.

5. Also the following is known to most of you, but for those who did not know it.
If you want to check whether your thermostat is still functioning fine and you don't want to take half the engine apart either measure the temperature both and the end of the block and at the beginning of the block.
Other way is to run the engine at a much higher rpm. You will see the temperature increase, but after 5 or 10 min the temperature should drop again to normal. Reason is that the thermostat will react to the higher temperature by opening up a bit more in order to bring the temperature back to normal.

He told me some other things I need to check with the fuel pump and how to check the timing of the fuel pump, so if anyone needs that info, let me know and I will explain it. I guess it is engine specific, so no need to write it here.

I was at De Schiffart Yesterday to pick up some spare parts. Told Ronald he might get some phone calls, but he advised me that if you want to get in touch with him it is better to send an e-mail. They are very busy and he also is part of the crew, which means he does not sit in an office all day long. So it is possible he cannot answer the phone, therefore e-mail is the best option.

info@deschiffart.nl

While I was there I had some questions about the FL engines and got some interesting answers.

1. The best oil to use on an engine that needs to be run in is actually mineral oil with the specification ACEA E2. This oil has less dope than the newer oils and that means less glazing of the cylinder walls and piston rings. Also told me I can do about 500 hours with that oil, plus to run the engine at a higher rpm during the run in period (at least 1800 rpm).
Never knew that, but will take his word for it. So just got myself some Eurol Multifleet 15W-40 and will put that in the engines when we get back onboard.

2. Most of you probably know the following already, but I only knew that I had to drill a hole in the thermostat. However I never knew the real reason why i had to do that.
The reason for drilling a hole in the thermostat is to make sure that, if there is air in the system, the air will be able to get out. If there would be air in the cooling system before the thermostat it could prevent the thermostat from opening and thereby overheating the engine.

3. If you suspect a leakage on one of the injectors or on the fuel return line, disconnect the end of the return line (which comes out of the block). Then take an oil can (with pump) and put some oil on each and every point where the return line is welded, on the copper washers, bolts, basically every location where the fuel system can leak inside the engine and then take a small compressor, connect it to the end of the return line and put about 1 bar of pressure on that line. If there is anywhere a leak you will see the oil starting to bubble.

4. If you have a boat with a hull speed of around 8 kts and 2 engines it does not make any sense to run the engines at 2000 rpm only to find out that the only thing you do is burn fuel and get no speed.
I have velvet drives which means they will get lubrication even when the engine is not running, so I have decided to now make it standard to go on one engine and run that engine at around 1800 - 2000 rpm, at least during the remainder of the run in period.

5. Also the following is known to most of you, but for those who did not know it.
If you want to check whether your thermostat is still functioning fine and you don't want to take half the engine apart either measure the temperature both and the end of the block and at the beginning of the block.
Other way is to run the engine at a much higher rpm. You will see the temperature increase, but after 5 or 10 min the temperature should drop again to normal. Reason is that the thermostat will react to the higher temperature by opening up a bit more in order to bring the temperature back to normal.

He told me some other things I need to check with the fuel pump and how to check the timing of the fuel pump, so if anyone needs that info, let me know and I will explain it. I guess it is engine specific, so no need to write it here.

Great info M, thanks for sharing.
There’s a Dutch guy with a YT channel, Sailing Lady Liselot that frequently uses only one engine and states he has the Velvet Drive transmissions on Perkins engines, and they can free wheel with no damage.

I have the Twin Disc 502’s in my Cat powered 3208NA’s, and apparently it’s the worlds biggest secret as to whether they can be free wheeled safely or not!

Quick follow up that Sheri from Trans Atlantic Diesels in VA carries remanufactured Ford Dorset/Lehman parts. Have a remanufactured crankshaft on the way to Seattle and continue on plan (A) for the rebuild.

Looked at the Deere 4048TFM which looks like a sweet engine, but the rebuild route is much cheaper. Save my pennies for that big upgrade in a couple years.

Thanks everyone,
-R

Many people also know that there is no reason to drill a hole in a modern thermostat. It can speed up filling the coolant, but the downside is that the engine takes longer to heat up. Not good for diesels. Robertshaw thermostats have a tiny leakage port in them that most don't see. You will find it when filling, as little bubbles leak out (air flowing much easier than coolant) if there is any air in the system. Drilling a big hole makes it bubble faster, but there is a down side.

Drilling increases the cooling of the engine, sometimes beyond what is good for the engine. My prior owner had drilled a hole. I noticed on the survey sea trial that the engine took a long time to get to temp. The surveyor took it out when the temp was about 130 and slowly increased RPM as the engine warmed. Not an uncommon approach, however, I later found out that if simply kept at idle, the engine would take 1/2 hour to get close to 180. In fact, if cruising with the engine at 180, then dropping to idle for 20 minutes, the engine temp would drop down around 160. Too much cooling.

When I pulled the thermostat, I found a 1/8th inch hole drilled in it (the size that most "drill a hole" folks recommend (for an unknown reason). Using a thermometer and dropping the old thermostat in hot water, it did open properly and closed at 180. I replaced it with a 195 degree thermostat with no hole drilled in it. I've drained and replaced the coolant several times with no bubble issues. It might take a few minutes longer. But the improvement is that the engine heats up to operating temperature (and stays there).

You can buy an "official Ford Lehman" thermostat at various places, usually around $35 (and usually 180 degree). Or you can find a Ford Mustang thermostat for $7 at the auto parts store. I imagine the Ford Falcon thermostat is even cheaper. All the same thing, sometimes even the same part number. Drill a hole if it makes you feel good, but it might cause you problems.

Last edited:
Any time I've drilled a thermostat for air bleeding I've kept the hole to 1/16" at most. That's plenty to let air through, and any more tends to cause slow warmup and cold running in cold weather (or cold water in the case of a boat).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom